The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Should Bob Make A Move For Forsberg?

Totti-mtl

The main thing that Bob should be looking for right now would be a defenseman that can provide some offense, he doesn't have to go out and pay through the nose for a top 6 d-man, but a d-man with some offensive upside to pair up with Spacek and provide that extra back end threat on the PP.

weber?

The main thing that Bob should be looking for right now would be a defenseman that can provide some offense, he doesn't have to go out and pay through the nose for a top 6 d-man, but a d-man with some offensive upside to pair up with Spacek and provide that extra back end threat on the PP.

Man they're tough to find

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Why is this a topic anyways? It doesn't look like he's gonna play in the NHL again and if he did...I think the habs would be one of his last choices!

The 2 rules for this board:

1) Everyone wants to play in MTL

2) The garbage on our team can always be traded for gold from another team.

The 2 rules for this board:

1) Everyone wants to play in MTL

2) The garbage on our team can always be traded for gold from another team.

I just have one question regarding that first comment. Who is everyone who wants to play in Montreal?

Everytime summer rolls around and the list of free agents comes to the fore, everyone has a chance to go where they want and yet everytime the free agency period comes and goes and we up until this past summer have gotten nobody to even glance this way not alone want to play here. Sure if you ask the players they tell you that they wouldn't mind or that they would like to, but to a man or agent to GM that same player will balk at the idea of coming here. If he gets a similar offer somewhere else chances are he is going to that destination rather than Montreal. The offer to Montreal has to be a couple of million more than any other team in orer for that player to even consider taking. Then he will seriously consider it.

The second comment, why our players seem to play better elsewhere is simple really. Just stop for a moment and think, everytime a player who supposedly is a "good" player and he doesn't perform up to expectations of what the scouts say he should be, than the fans will bring a wrath so full of crap down on that player, that the player doesn't have much options. The player sometimes takes 3, 4, or 5 years before finding his niche, but we kind of expect it from him in the first couple of years. Most time the pressure we are placing on those young players leaves them with a bad taste in their mouth, first thing that they think is go to the agent and tell him get me out of here. The request is usually granted and he goes someplace else and the fans are more patient and bingo that player all of a sudden begins to turn into the player he was suppose to be for us.

We haven't got to look too far into the past to see a couple of examples. Micheal Ryder is one who is a 30 goal scorer who had a bad season and the fans got on him and compounded the problem that much more that it only made things worst eventually trading that player away only to see him return to close to a 30 goal season once again. Mike Ribiero, another player who seemed to be deemed as a problem player again was booed by the fans and the management fell out of favor with him and again shipped off to better and brighter things where he is now one of Dallas stars best players.

Our Coaches as of late haven't been the best of the bunch either and through either poor work ethic and communication (see Carbonneau). Therien was much better, Tremblay don't even get me started on him. Alain Vigneault, didn't have much of a grasp on the team either. The only decent coach that we have had over the past 20 years has been Claude Julien, who seemed to have some idea as to what he was doing, and our present day coach Jacques Martin, who if left alone to mould this team will get us back to respectability.

Sorry for getting off topic, but my vote would be no to Forsberg. There are too many question marks still surrounding him. Only a couple of months ago everyone was saying he is ready and then bang another injury to the same ankle. Again we are hearing it is all healed and he is stronger than ever and ready for a return. What happens if Bob makes a move for him and in a few weeks of coming here he goes down with another injury, still related to the previous injuries. Everyone will want Bob's head on a platter, not that some here already do now.

i agree with you larry, but i still think they need a big body up front who can score and hit..too many small forwards

I vote no.

We need Sundin instead. ;)

i vote NO !..not what he once was...montreal seems to be a dumping ground for players who are past there prime or not what they once were...lets get them before age sets in. experience is good, but if you cant back it up, why bother...if we want some of these guys, lets go after them while they still have their game.

I can understand some concerns about Peters health/foot and nobody knows how it will pan out for him. His own words a couple of days ago was something about that this is how good the foot will get. We will probably get some answers from this weeks Karjala cup (Forsberg on ice tomorrow). The flat out no is what puzzels me here though and quotes like he isnt the player he used to be etc.

Of course it will take him a while to get into the groove again Who in todays line up is even close to Peter's capacity, honestly it s mindboggeling to me. It all comes down to how much money he would want/get, I am sure there are a few takers out there (heard about Was going etremly hard for him for ex, but think COL is where he ends up). Montreal should be interested imo even if its a longshot. Cant see Peter choosing Montreal so all this is probably moot anyway.

I sure would love to see him in the Habs myself though.

My 2 cents.

I can understand some concerns about Peters health/foot and nobody knows how it will pan out for him. His own words a couple of days ago was something about that this is how good the foot will get. We will probably get some answers from this weeks Karjala cup (Forsberg on ice tomorrow). The flat out no is what puzzels me here though and quotes like he isnt the player he used to be etc.

Of course it will take him a while to get into the groove again Who in todays line up is even close to Peter's capacity, honestly it s mindboggeling to me. It all comes down to how much money he would want/get, I am sure there are a few takers out there (heard about Was going etremly hard for him for ex, but think COL is where he ends up). Montreal should be interested imo even if its a longshot. Cant see Peter choosing Montreal so all this is probably moot anyway.

I sure would love to see him in the Habs myself though.

My 2 cents.

And we have a little flexibility cap-wise now, with Markov going on the LTIR. I can't understand a flat-out no either. There's not a whole lot to lose, besides some of the owners' money. Even if he came and re-injured himself he'd end up on the LTIR himself and not cost us cap wise. If he stays healthy, we'd have some solid "secondary scoring", which is great.

None of this likely matters though. The only places I can see him coming back to play in are Colorado and Philly, if they'd have him. He seems to be a pretty loyal guy.

Archived