Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheBlaster_mtl

Marc Andre Bergeron

230 posts in this topic

case in point why 29 teams passed on him

I don't know about that. He's been a steady Dman logging about 17 mins of icetime with the Wild last year, they've been the team with the fewest goals against in the West and were number 2 in that department league-wide. I'd say the man knows a thing or two about defending, how about giving him a few games before making premature judgments?

Everyone has to let it be...he is here for one reason and one reason only. His offence. We have to take the bad with the good. His no look pass from behind our net is bad, his heads up breakout passes are good....his small stature and weak play down low is bad...his bullet is good. Bottom line is if he matches his 14 goals last year.. I am happy and can take his FEW blunders in our own end. If Martin uses him properly, can't see why he can't play 14 15 mins a game

I guess Breezy wasn't available,so BG got the next best thing. I might as well forget about our new toughness and heart on this team,another pipsqeak to get pushed around. I really hate this move,and I really hope BG gets canned.I can't stand him as a GM anymore,I hope the Molsons do the right thing and kick him to the curb before he screws this team up any worse than he has the last 6 years.

Ohhh yahh, BG screwed up our team by signing Bergeron, that good for nothing :rolleyes:

I think this guys great, i love him!! he reminds me of sourray back when he got 19 PPG or something

i like this guy so far.....couple mistakes, but living in the souray and komi days, i am used to them, this guy is what we needed and he will get better.

see komi score on his own net again? lol.....way to go loser!

Brutal mistake on the clearing for one of New York's 1st period goals. I don't where the winger was on the play, but he certainly wasn't on the half boards. At least he made up for it with a nice one-timer on the powerplay! :)

Again, some more sloppy passes by BErgeron in this game that made me cringe.

However, he's doing his main job well so far...good shot to get us the goal on the PP.

Hasn't really hurt us yet. Sure, his defensive play is lacking, but maybe he just needs to get used to the nhl game again. His career plus/minus is pretty good for an offensive minded short guy. I like this acquistion a lot. Something had to be done, and for the money Gainey could spend, this was a good move.

And he's gotta have some degree of toughness to stay in that Atlanta game. Two goals and counting for Marc-Andre

Hasn't really hurt us yet. Sure, his defensive play is lacking, but maybe he just needs to get used to the nhl game again. His career plus/minus is pretty good for an offensive minded short guy. I like this acquistion a lot. Something had to be done, and for the money Gainey could spend, this was a good move.

And he's gotta have some degree of toughness to stay in that Atlanta game. Two goals and counting for Marc-Andre

He was directly responsible for a goal against us last night.

so were georges, gill and pleks...lol

Actually, by definition he was INDIRECTLY responsible. Directly would be O'Byrne's gaff last year. And MAB has done exactly what we signed him for and we haven't lost since he got called up AND our pp is MUCH MUCH better with him. He will do much more good than bad and we are clearly better off with him, so quit dwelling on singular mistakes when the boys are winning.

I think a bit more time for Bergeron to get back into NHL shape. This is pretty much the equivalent of his training camp and so far even though he has given up the puck a few times I've also counted some instances where he showed patience and made a good play moving the puck up the ice to his forwards or defensive pairing.

Bergeron seems to thrive on that PP. He's not Markov and shouldn't be expect to fill his shoes but I think he's bringing alot.

He's got a big shot and that big shot doesn't just have a chance of going in.... it always helps persuade a team's defense to get out of the way.

And he's also making some good passes on PP.

I believe Brendan Witt took one a few nights back....

"The Bergeron project" may very well pay off.

Yes it is nice that MAB has a big shot on the PP. It does not make up for the fact that his mistakes are costing our team. 30 teams passed on MAB. Not until we lost two D did we have to find an experienced NHL defenceman to fill a role. I seriously wonder if Cammi, S.Kostitsyn, Weber or Subban would have provided the same kind of shot on the PP.

However MAB is providing a big shot on the PP. So why not put him on the 4th line? Mistakes by defencemen end up in our net to often. Mistakes by a forward also can result in goals in our net but far less often. I would put MAB on the 4th line when OB returns to the lineup in a couple of weeks. You cannot take a PP goal as being equal to giving up a goal 5 on 5 thanks to poor decisions in our zone.

Yes it is nice that MAB has a big shot on the PP. It does not make up for the fact that his mistakes are costing our team. 30 teams passed on MAB. Not until we lost two D did we have to find an experienced NHL defenceman to fill a role. I seriously wonder if Cammi, S.Kostitsyn, Weber or Subban would have provided the same kind of shot on the PP.

However MAB is providing a big shot on the PP. So why not put him on the 4th line? Mistakes by defencemen end up in our net to often. Mistakes by a forward also can result in goals in our net but far less often. I would put MAB on the 4th line when OB returns to the lineup in a couple of weeks. You cannot take a PP goal as being equal to giving up a goal 5 on 5 thanks to poor decisions in our zone.

My Lord he's been up 3 games...we've won all of them....he's made mistakes but so have others...for picking someone up for cheap and not costing anthing to replace at least some of what we lost with Marky is IMHO pretty good...kudos to Gainey on this one

My Lord he's been up 3 games...we've won all of them....he's made mistakes but so have others...for picking someone up for cheap and not costing anthing to replace at least some of what we lost with Marky is IMHO pretty good...kudos to Gainey on this one

Agreed. It's obvious he needs some time to get used to playing on the NHL level again, he had no training camp and therefore missed important time while the rest of the team worked on implementing JM's system. He's been an immediate help on the PP, scoring two goals in three games. He's no shutdown defenseman, that's not what we've signed him for anyway. He's filling a void on our team IMO and eats up a little icetime, thus helping to ease the workload of Spacek and Hamrlik. He's also been more of a factor than Weber and Belle were in the little amount of games they played.

He needs to keep things simple though, I feel he's taking too many risks in our zone as far as passing is concerned. While I like to see those risky passes on the PP, cross ice passes or outlet passes through the middle I'd rather avoid in our zone. All in all, I'm happy with his performance so far.

A couple mistakes, but he's scoring goals.

That's a lot more than we can say for most of our defensive core.

A couple mistakes, but he's scoring goals.

That's a lot more than we can say for most of our defensive core.

I'll agree when it comes to Spacek and Gill. I'll disagree when it comes to the rest of our defensemen (Hamrlik, Mara, Gorges), who are playing solid defense, something MAB isn't doing. To me, MAB's goal last night just breaks him even on that dreadful turnover in the first period that led a Rangers goal.

I'll agree when it comes to Spacek and Gill. I'll disagree when it comes to the rest of our defensemen (Hamrlik, Mara, Gorges), who are playing solid defense, something MAB isn't doing. To me, MAB's goal last night just breaks him even on that dreadful turnover in the first period that led a Rangers goal.

When I saw the highlight (i missed the game) my first reaction to that was,

"How in the world can an NHL defenseman be that stupid?" Like I know usually there should be a winger along the boards (even though he was skating to the right side and if there was a winger there he may have started to come over towards the middle a little more) but still, how the heck does one think to do a blind behind the back pass in your own zone??

If it was a 2 foot pass I understand, but trying to go from behind the net to the sideboards/hashmarks? :lol:

Edited by Moneypuck

good addition...hopefully used in the right spots he can really help.

He was...and is :D

Were fortunate he was available (sitting home watching highlights off TSN)....

Keep it coming Berg.

Bergeron seems to thrive on that PP. He's not Markov and shouldn't be expect to fill his shoes but I think he's bringing alot.

He's got a big shot and that big shot doesn't just have a chance of going in.... it always helps persuade a team's defense to get out of the way.

And he's also making some good passes on PP.

+1

I think he's OK.

He's a mile up on Breezer, and 100 miles up on Gill.

IF he can generate some offense on the PP then kudos to him.

gotto love his shot.

I loved 2 games ago when he blasted it..... hit some defender in front of him, and that defender DROPPED like he was shot by a bullet...

Bergeron doesn't replace Marky because they have slightly different skill sets but he nonetheless augments the powerplay for sure. What I am dying to see is Markov AND Bergeron on the pp. IMO, Bergerons shot is better than Streit's and even coming up on Souray's.

For the money, I'd say this is a better deal than the Spacek signing (big question mark here). Its a saw-off in terms of blunders in our zone between Spacek and Gill... Bergeron has made some early, but let's see if it continues.