The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Marc Andre Bergeron

Seems like an ok pickup, but his vlaue comes at the price he signed for. I hope he has a good year.

Welcome aboard MAB!

The guy obviouly sucks if no other team would sign him for a measly $750k. we'd be so much better off developing Webber or Carle and see what they got to bring for the future instead of going back to the soft players BG likes to bring aboard

The guy obviouly sucks if no other team would sign him for a measly $750k. we'd be so much better off developing Webber or Carle and see what they got to bring for the future instead of going back to the soft players BG likes to bring aboard

It depends on your expectations I guess. Bergeron is a solid deal for $750k on a 1-year contract IMO. He brings more than Webber and Carle have to offer and considering our current situation on D, bringing in two rookies at the same time would be suicide. Besides, I fail to see how Webber and Carle are so much more physical than the supposedly soft players BG likes to sign.

Webber will have a spot regardless and if we don't like Bergeron, we waive him. What's the risk?

I like this pick-up. MA is a very good offensive defenceman, so it should help our puck movement out of our own end, and of course on the PP. I understand the comments on why BG didn't just let Weber try, but at the cost we got MA for, we can try out both. Weber is capable of playing the wing on the 4th line and on the point on PP. Overall it adds to our depth on the back end.

I just don't think he got the offers he liked in the offseason, or one from a team he wanted to play for, so at this point he is going to be cheap, hence the 750 we signed him for.

I guess Breezy wasn't available,so BG got the next best thing. I might as well forget about our new toughness and heart on this team,another pipsqeak to get pushed around. I really hate this move,and I really hope BG gets canned.I can't stand him as a GM anymore,I hope the Molsons do the right thing and kick him to the curb before he screws this team up any worse than he has the last 6 years.

What I'm hopin for right now would get me kicked off this forum. Do you even like the Habs? Are you just going from thread to thread to talk jibberish? Did you ever get in trouble growing up (assuming you're not still in the process though the odds don't look good based on your posts) for having WAY too much to say without ever actually saying anything? I know I'm supposed to lay off other posters but I feel like forgetting about that little tidbit every time I read something ridiculous like this.

I don't understand why some people complain all the time....750,00 is peanuts for a D-man with experience...if it doesn't work out whats the club lose? Sergei's 700,000 plus salary?...besides that I suspect no one picked him up because he's out of game shape..great insurance for no money...if one more experienced D-man goes down everybody would be all over Gainey for not picking him up when he had the chance...in some people's minds Gainey NEVER does the right thing

I don't understand why some people complain all the time....750,00 is peanuts for a D-man with experience...if it doesn't work out whats the club lose? Sergei's 700,000 plus salary?...besides that I suspect no one picked him up because he's out of game shape..great insurance for no money...if one more experienced D-man goes down everybody would be all over Gainey for not picking him up when he had the chance...in some people's minds Gainey NEVER does the right thing
Amen. Now, if some posters had BG offer them $750K, the tune would change some. :D

Habs are down two starting D. Something had to be done. Pronger for $750K wasn't in the cards.

What I'm hopin for right now would get me kicked off this forum. Do you even like the Habs? Are you just going from thread to thread to talk jibberish? Did you ever get in trouble growing up (assuming you're not still in the process though the odds don't look good based on your posts) for having WAY too much to say without ever actually saying anything? I know I'm supposed to lay off other posters but I feel like forgetting about that little tidbit every time I read something ridiculous like this.

Do you ever comment on hockey or just critique others' posts. :blink: Weird

I bet hes 100x better then Webber was lst night

Man we really gotto stop rushing our prospects into the league, not only do they look horrible and hurt the team, But its gotto crush there confidence.

Welcome Bergerion

Meh... Weber had one bad game. I will cut him some slack. To learn in the NHL involves some degree of getting burned. Especially for a young d-man. Either way, I thought Carle should have gotten the call, anyway. Hopefully we will see Bergeron soon! We could use some more NHL level experience given the fragile nature of our defense.

Meh... Weber had one bad game. I will cut him some slack. To learn in the NHL involves some degree of getting burned. Especially for a young d-man. Either way, I thought Carle should have gotten the call, anyway. Hopefully we will see Bergeron soon! We could use some more NHL level experience given the fragile nature of our defense.

:lol: That's an understatement... and it doesn't simply mean in regards to Weber alone.

750K was not his asking price at the beginning of UFA. And there have been cheap UFA steals in the past.

Does this guy have to clear waivers? If he was signed and asigned to Hamilton for coniditioning is that our loop-hole? Otherwise I can see a team like Toronto claiming him off waivers. Their D couldnt' get any worse, and this guy at least brings an offensive upside to the blue-line. If he has to clear waivers, at that cap hit and term, he isn't making it to Montreal , is he?

Dear Marc-Andre, please come to Montreal on Saturday and help kickstart our offensive woes. Thanks! ;)

Yeah, and add to our defensive woes so instead of losing 3-2 we lose 4-3 :P

All joking aside though I'm not crazy about MAB, I know what he needs to the PP but I also know who putrid he is defensively and we're having enough problems in that department. I like Belle, adds speed and is generally better defensively then what we saw last night so I'd atleast give him a few more games.

What about dressing 7 DMen? Atleast against teams that we don't need an enforcer for (which I would argue is every game but that's not for here).

Bergeron had 3 pts in the 4-3 OT win against Peoria tonight. 5 points in 2 games I believe.

Correct you are! He is on a conditioning stint (not sure of the limit but I believe it is 3 or 4 games) so he does not have to clear waivers

to go to Montreal. He did look a bit rusty in the home opener because he hadn't been skating with a team and in a competitive situation - that is the reason for the AHL visit - he will have to be brought up to Montreal soon or will have to clear waivers (or stay in the A).

I think you will all find he is a good (and necessary ;) ) addition.

PS Hey Chris - did you offer your services to fight the spambots - I'd like to see the other forum opened again :D