The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Exactly... You can't replace a player like that.

He'll definitely help, I'm just worried what he will do defensively. One more fresh face to an already crippled defense. Markov not only helps on the PP, but he's the backbone of the defense. Without him the guys are running around looking lost and out of place.

One good thing... When you're struggling and down in the basement, the only direction to go is up. JM isn't going to stand for mediocre defensive play and brain farts.

This team is bound to wake up... it ain't over til the fat lady sings and she's not scheduled to sing for another 7 months.

More than enough time to become a competitive team.

He is not known as a defensive player but did spend a year in the really slow boring defensive style known as the Wild. So he probably learned at least how not to be a defensive liability. I am excited. We are like 2 for the last 20 on the PP if we move that to a conservative 20% we have 2 more goals and maybe one or two of the 1 goal games are not losses. PP goals do help momentum in a game as well. Here is to hoping.

he cannot hurt at this point our powerplay is dreadful. if we scored early against ottawa the other night i am sure the result would have been different. he has played in the nhl and he can be a good power play man. if he limits his defensive mistakes he can be a reasonable fill in.

Nothing like adding another guy when the eight bodies you added in the off season can't get it done.

Not really why he was signed....more of help to alleviate the loss of a top 5 dman in the league. Not many teams would be able to deal with the loss of their top guy (top player in the league) internally. Everyone gives the Pitss gonchar example. Last time I checked, they were not in the playoffs and were doing terrible by the time Gonchar came back and the coach got fired. And last time I checked, we don't have number 87 or number 71 on our team.

Not really why he was signed....more of help to alleviate the loss of a top 5 dman in the league. Not many teams would be able to deal with the loss of their top guy (top player in the league) internally. Everyone gives the Pitss gonchar example. Last time I checked, they were not in the playoffs and were doing terrible by the time Gonchar came back and the coach got fired. And last time I checked, we don't have number 87 or number 71 on our team.

my point is exactly that. if you add eight hand picked players to the team and still remain dependent on the same guy as last year then it just goes to show how little the team has improved. and markov, is probably not a top five, more likely a top 10 defenseman.

this is the usual gainey bandaid, due to the usual poor gainey planning.

It was a terrible thing to lose markov, but stop being so negative. If the whole team relied on one player to keep them together, then they didn't have much of a TEAM. Maybe losing markov will turn out to be a blessing in disguise, but i'm an optimistic person (must be the california sun). Now as far as MA coming up I'm excited to see what he can bring to the power play, because it was a good game Saturday, except there was no pressure on the PP. A 5 on 3 and you dont even move your feet or skate to open the d up, just shoot from the point... Is this a professional team? I've seen Pwee games with better PP's. I'm hoping that MA can turn into schneider for a lot less green. Once again though this is my optimistic side... let me try to see from the dark pessimistic side... He's small, but has a shot, he will do terribly, but if he shows up on fire, then i'm jumping on the band wagon and claiming I knew it all along. Here are some facts to chew on that might shift preset ideas about size, in a much rougher league Henri Richard who was only 5-7 and 160 lbs is one of the Best Montreal Canadien Players of all time, and one of the best NHL Players of all time.

my point is exactly that. if you add eight hand picked players to the team and still remain dependent on the same guy as last year then it just goes to show how little the team has improved. and markov, is probably not a top five, more likely a top 10 defenseman.

this is the usual gainey bandaid, due to the usual poor gainey planning.

if you look at the shot totals against us lately they've been down...yeah there are defensive breakdowns here and there that lead to goals...but lets see where the defense is by mid november...i think bergeron was only signed to replace markovs shot...spacek can shoot but he hasnt done well at hitting the net thus far...hopefully if we have 2 guys out there who can shoot well do better on the pp...doesnt hurt to try when you didnt break the bank on the guy...

We are so bad defensively already, how does this guy get any even strength time? I guess we try for 10 games to see if he can spark the offence and not make too many defensive blunders. I think he will be on a real short leash, and has a real good shot of not finishing the season in Montreal.

the guy has alot of NHL experience therefore better option than Belle or Weber

I for one want to see how this will pan out. Hopefully he can spark the PP.

Theres still no one in the back to make that amazing first pass that Markov always do to kick things off.

That's good for the 5 on 5 and the powerplay too.

So i don't know... i have my doubts.

I'm pretty disappointed with the pairings right now. Bergeron looks to be playing alongside Mara tonight. That could be ugly. Especially considering our 2nd pairing is Gill and Gorges. I think Martin might want to reconsider where he puts Spacek and Hamrlik. We know they are awesome together, sure ( :rolleyes: ), but why not trying to spread the stability around. We haven't yet seen what Bergeron is going to offer us on the backend... Perhaps Bergeron should be paired with someone more reliable? :huh:

Perhaps Bergeron should be paired with someone more reliable? :huh:

Who is that person? What's his name? :blink::lol:

Seriously, though, I think Jacques made the right decision. Mara hasn't been great, but his skill set, on paper, should be complement MAB. One is a big physical stay-at-home type, while the other is smaller and more mobile, with good puck-moving capability. In theory, it should work.

Besides, if you don't play MAB with Mara, what are the alternatives? You don't want him near the vortex of Hal Gill, and if you play him with Gorges, that leaves Gill and Mara together, a pairing I'd have to get up extra early in the day just to hate some more. And you're certainly not going to ask MAB to pair with Hamrlik or Spacek and play top-four minutes.

Mara is really the best option IMO.

Who is that person? What's his name? :blink::lol:

Seriously, though, I think Jacques made the right decision. Mara hasn't been great, but his skill set, on paper, should be complement MAB. One is a big physical stay-at-home type, while the other is smaller and more mobile, with good puck-moving capability. In theory, it should work.

Besides, if you don't play MAB with Mara, what are the alternatives? You don't want him near the vortex of Hal Gill, and if you play him with Gorges, that leaves Gill and Mara together, a pairing I'd have to get up extra early in the day just to hate some more. And you're certainly not going to ask MAB to pair with Hamrlik or Spacek and play top-four minutes.

Mara is really the best option IMO.

ARGH! :angry::angry::lol:

Our defensive core is so frustrating to work with without Markov!

I was thinking perhaps Hamrlik/Bergeron - Spacek/Gorges - And, ugh... Gill/Mara (Yeah, that's pretty nasty). :(

You don't want him near the vortex of Hal Gill, and if you play him with Gorges, that leaves Gill and Mara together, a pairing I'd have to get up extra early in the day just to hate some more.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

im excited to see him. as long as hes a decent plug and hits the net with a good one timer on the PP its an improvement.

Hope his injury isn't serious. What a terrible way to start his tenure as a Hab -- penalty on his first shift, then a dirty hit and possible concussion.

What happened?