Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Johnny_rudeboy

State Of The Hamilton Bulldogs

324 posts in this topic

It is too early to determine if the Dog's are displaying AHL supremacy and whether success in the AHL is translating into success at the NHL level. Montreal's mediocre seasons have not resulted in many players from the farm making the line up with the big club.

Didn't the Dogs win the the Calder Cup several years ago .

I didn't see that win resulting in the parent club ( the Habs ) reaping the rewards .

The HABS were still an 8 th place team :rolleyes:

Tinordi's development would speed up and I could imagine him playing with Markov or Subban in Montreal next year, can't wait.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl100810.html''

Jarred Tinordi: At this year's entry draft, Pierre Gauthier traded up five spots, 27 to 22, surrendering the Canadiens' second-round pick, to select big defenceman - 6'6", projected to weigh up to 230 lbs - Jarred Tinordi, son of former NHLer Mark Tinordi. A scout says "When he plays a physical, nasty, pass-first game, he's as good as there is. But when he starts to dangle, his warts show." Another claims, "He will need to improve upon his skating and puck skills (...). He’s clearly a project that if he works out, will be a force on an NHL blueline. There is just a lot of work to be done."

I didn't see that win resulting in the parent club ( the Habs ) reaping the rewards .

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl100810.html''

Jarred Tinordi: At this year's entry draft, Pierre Gauthier traded up five spots, 27 to 22, surrendering the Canadiens' second-round pick, to select big defenceman - 6'6", projected to weigh up to 230 lbs - Jarred Tinordi, son of former NHLer Mark Tinordi. A scout says "When he plays a physical, nasty, pass-first game, he's as good as there is. But when he starts to dangle, his warts show." Another claims, "He will need to improve upon his skating and puck skills (...). He’s clearly a project that if he works out, will be a force on an NHL blueline. There is just a lot of work to be done."

I read those same articles before the draftand going by those Tinordi wouldn't have been chosen in the first round. In interviews since being drafted and Jarred has said he looks forward to the challenges before him. The Bulldogs did in fact win three years ago with Carey Price in nets,and he was the MVP of the playoffs. The players that are doing their training in Hamilton now and in the next few years will be starters for Montreal,this being the result of drafting some good picks in later rounds of the draft by Gauthier and Timmins for Bob Gainey.

I read those same articles before the draftand going by those Tinordi wouldn't have been chosen in the first round. In interviews since being drafted and Jarred has said he looks forward to the challenges before him. The Bulldogs did in fact win three years ago with Carey Price in nets,and he was the MVP of the playoffs. The players that are doing their training in Hamilton now and in the next few years will be starters for Montreal,this being the result of drafting some good picks in later rounds of the draft by Gauthier and Timmins for Bob Gainey.

Of the team that win the Calder Cup there are , I belive 4 players currently with the Habs

Price, AK, O'Byrne and Lapierre

AK is consistently inconsistent

O'Byrne has yet to make it as a starter

Laps is a third linecentre

Price was annointed the # 1 goalie and now it's his job

The following is the Canadiens Draft history

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00006929.html

A team is lucky if they get 1 , 2 players from a draft year who make it to the big club .

Not every propsect the Habs draft will make it .

Sorry but IMO it can't, won't happen and has n't happened

Ex

Jason Ward was a # 1 draft pick for the Habs

Captain of the Dogs

He's back playing in the AHL

Just because a player excels in the AHL doesn't mean it will translate into success in the NHL .

Ryan O is another example

At some point in time he has to crack the top six

I'm not saying the Dogs s*ck , or the players drafted S*ck , but it's unrealistic to assume everyone will make it to the big club

Edited by Regis

The Bulldogs Calder cup winning roster had a lot of players already labeled as career AHL'ers.

Well Jared just signed with London so we are going to still probably need some D before the season starts, but a few will drop down from Montreal, at least one because they have 8 defense right now. I could see either Alexandre Picard or Ryan O'byrn joining the Bulldogs. Assuming of course no trades happen, because a defensive trade would be something i could see Montreal making in the near future because they can afford to let a couple D leave the team.

ok thx, I did not see his name in an earlier roster post. I think he can be a good mentor and player for us

AC

Just to clarify - that post was of young prospects - not necessarily the Bulldogs lineup (vets etc.....)

The season AFTER the Calder the Habs were number #1 going into the playoffs and DID make the second round ;):rolleyes:

I think the problems may have been more in Montreal than Hamilton ;) as I think some would allege mismanagement (especially of goalies).

ALso as Js2 notes there were a number of vets/career AHLers on that team - which is partly why it was so successful - I would also

argue that there were a number of players never really given a shot - Locke, Cote, Ferland, Jancevski, Benoit, Milroy, Chipper....even the hated Grabovski(not by me thoug)...and you also forget that a huge part of that team was Halak - who helped take us farther than we have been in a long time - not too shabby! :D

PS Jason Ward was never allowed to play his game in Montreal - he did stick in NYR and Tampa and while unspectacular played regularly and solidly.

Edited by swansee

State of the Hamilton Bulldogs???

Just got a lot worse......(didn't do much for the State of the Habs either ;) ).

(didn't do much for the State of the Habs either ;) ).

Hopefully it doesn't bite the Habs the way the Locke deal did.

Hopefully it doesn't bite the Habs the way the Locke deal did.

:lol:

Yeah but that is a different story - Locke had to go by then - the Habs weren't going to give him a decent chance (maybe afraid he'd lose his equipment.... :P ). I still maintain they should have at least given him a shot considering his history and numbers (and that goes TRIPLE for Desharnais now.......). Funny that the WILD didn't give him the shot either - He is small, not that physical but the guy is a winner - why a weaker team wouldn't take a chance on him for 10 games or so beats me - players with far less skills and history have been given chance after chance. (AK comes to mind - and he was/is far less physical than Corey!!!!!)

Anyway - Desjardins is a totally different story - not quite a Halak - but he will probably be an NHL #1 and certainly a decent backup - Why did we go with Sanford over him?????

Edited by swansee

The players that have been signed and shown up from Europe are 6' and up and most are already pushing 200lbs so the Bulldogs forwards going forthwith are bigger. These players apparently have no aversion to driving the net either in the long run this should spill over to the Habs.Quailer is another that should top 200lbs as well and skates well and can dangle. The Habs have definitely done a better job of acquiring good prospects in the last few years and no matter how much anyone wishes to be blind to that fact it still is a fact. The Habs are going in the right direction despite what naysayers think and my thinking is the only people getting crushed will be on other teams.

Hamilton is in for a treat watching all the talent the Habs have been kind enough to supply them with. First we have a few more days before all the cuts are made. Alex Avtsin will be a household name in Hamilton before the end of October.Then there are two players from the Swedish Elitserian, Andreas Engqvist and Dman Kyle Klubertanz, also Ian Schultz and possibly Lars Eller from the Halak deal.So with the other cuts there should be a couple more new faces, Hamilton could be a offensive dynamo if all the rookies are sent to Hamilton.

:lol:

Yeah but that is a different story - Locke had to go by then - the Habs weren't going to give him a decent chance (maybe afraid he'd lose his equipment.... :P ). I still maintain they should have at least given him a shot considering his history and numbers (and that goes TRIPLE for Desharnais now.......). Funny that the WILD didn't give him the shot either - He is small, not that physical but the guy is a winner - why a weaker team wouldn't take a chance on him for 10 games or so beats me - players with far less skills and history have been given chance after chance. (AK comes to mind - and he was/is far less physical than Corey!!!!!)

Anyway - Desjardins is a totally different story - not quite a Halak - but he will probably be an NHL #1 and certainly a decent backup - Why did we go with Sanford over him?????

doubtful on desjardins being a #1 maybe a decent back up but i might be wrong

now that we know who the bulldogs will have it looks like they should have a very dangerous group of young forwards, I would like to see them try the following top 6;

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Avtsin

Palushaj - Maxwell - White

and with Kristo and Leblanc definitely ready for AHL duty next year and Trotter's possible return it looks like the mini-habs will be a good team for a while still.

The Bulldogs should nbe an explosive offensive machine with good defence and goaltending with a side of enforcers second to none. Hamilton is in for a treat this season.

For those interested...

The Hamilton Bulldogs will be playing the Oklahoma City Barons Sunday at 1pm.

The game will be live, on CBC and NHL Network

For those interested...

The Hamilton Bulldogs will be playing the Oklahoma City Barons Sunday at 1pm.

The game will be live, on CBC and NHL Network

Definitely interested. I am really excited to see how the young guys perform in the AHL. Especially players like Pacioretty, White, Weber, and Maxwell... Guys that are close to making the NHL.

Caught a bit of it at work today. Sorry guys, but yay for the Barons winning. It's nice to see something linked to the Oilers actually win.

Caught a bit of it at work today. Sorry guys, but yay for the Barons winning. It's nice to see something linked to the Oilers actually win.

They were definitely the better team. Hamilton looked terrible for the most part. Or maybe it was just that the game was terrible, what with the referees calling a penalty every 30 seconds. <_<

i see a calder cup in our grasp!

Not with the brutal defence that the Dogs have this season.

Not with the brutal defence that the Dogs have this season.

its just a phase :P

its just a phase :P

You hit that one out of the park the Bulldogs have really tightened up the last week.Now all we need is the power play to start knocking the opponents out, the same as the Habs.

Well the Bulldogs have played some excellent hockey and look like they are the real deal.Some many prospects still to come,Go Hamilton Go!