The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

I4I-vc4

From Paris With Love

It only got a 6.4/10 according to IMDB, but it should've been given at least an 8. Possibly an 8.5. I've seen good action movies, but add in the comedy and you've got yourself a hell of a movie. I loved it. Felt kinda short, though.

From Paris with Love: 6.5 /10 - some ok performances & certainly kept you 'entertained' but too many inconsistencies and issues for me to rank it higher. To put it another way: Kept my eyes awake but put my brain to sleep.

The Book of Eli: 7.5/10 - pretty silly, actually, and a film that didnt quite know what it wanted to be (is it action? is it cerebral?) but Denzel & Oldman make it fun, Kunis provides some eye candy and Tom Waits is...well, tom waits - Great :) I did like the twist ending - silly (and if you know anything about that "type" of book, you know its ludicrous) but something I totally didnt see coming & was fun.

When in Rome: 6.5/10 - its what you think it is. Pretty people, mildly funny. I'll admit I laughed more than I expected to. Kristen Bell makes just about anything fun to watch too ;)

44 inch chest - 4/10 - I know some critics liked it, but wow this was a boring film. It seemed to try so hard - and imho failed quite miserably. The performances were good but it was like a plate of dry spagetti. No plot, poor dialogue... this is not a good thing for a "character study" movie. Any easily offended by language should steer clear of this too - maybe the most profanity Ive ever seen in one movie (and it felt like it was there to "shock" - also not good). Got the additional 2 stars because I thought Winstone was very good.

The Wolfman- 5/10 - lame. Is it supposed to be scary? it isnt. Is it supposed to appeal to a large group? It doesnt. Is it supposed to be clever? Its not. Like so many recent films this one makes me really question what they were trying to achieve. Getting 3 great actors (Hopkins, Del Toro and Weaving) involved in this is probably the most shocking part. :P It gets 2 of its 5 stars because of the cinematography, which is very well done.

The Road - 7/10 - I still dont know what to think about this one, but my thoughts are mostly positive. Some very interesting, thought-provoking scenes, but falls apart in other ways. I think it was very falsely marketed as almost an action film (based on the trailers) but it definitely is not that. The moral struggle the dad has left me thinking about "what would i do in that situation" for days - and imho whenever a movie can make you "take it with you" its done at least something right.

Double Identity - 5.5/10 Ah, Val Kilmer, how far you've fallen. Its a B-Movie with a B-Movie plot, a B-Movie cast, a B-Movie score and a B-Movie finish. If you know that going into it, its mindless fair for an evening with nothing to do.

Edge of Darkness 7/10 - Typical Mel Gibson fare. If you like that sort of stuff, you'll like it, if you dont, you wont. Mindless but over-all well-crafted.

Invictus 9/10 - When was the last time Clint Eastwood made a bad film? Great movie, start to finish. Not much more to say about it.

Leap Year - 8/10 - Surprisingly full of charm. Its not an earth-shattering concept, but its fun, genuine and wholesome. I cant help but think that a different lead actress (one with just a bit more bite) may have made it better - acker seems so...nice at heart - but overall I enjoyed this a heck of a lot more than I expected.

The lovely bones - 7.5/10 - I found this film very interesting & Stanley Tucci was frighteningly good. It is not for everyone, but overall some very interesting things going on & certainly gripping.

Enough for now. ;)

Saw The Rocket on DVD again last night - my rating: 6/10

And here's why:

1. loaded with factual errors - for instance, it was Earl Seibert that Richard carried on his back to score, not Babe Siebert, who actually played for the Canadiens, but who died before Richard even came on the scene.

2. Obvious it was from one point of view - Richard was widely loved by many, if not most of the English-speaking population, too. And that has carried on through generations as well.

3. Hardly any time spent at all on the Howe-Richard, Red Wings-Canadiens rivalry.

4. Beliveau, Harvey, Geoffrion, Moore, etc., are seen, but not heard from at all.

5. Uniforms are not totally authentic for that time period - logos are not the actual team logos from that time period.

6. Not sold very much on the relationship between Mr. Norchet the father and Richard - the real Mr. Norchet was not only Richard's biggest fan, but according to Richard in his book Flying Frenchmen, encouraged the relationship between Lucille and Maurice.

7. Would have liked to see some coverage of the last 5 years, when they won the Cup 5 consecutive times, and at least a bit on the relationship between Henri and his other brothers.

8. Thought the guy who played Georges Norchet, the brother in law, came across a bit too much as a smart aleck.

That's quite a bit of criticism for a movie that I gave 6/10

But here's the reason it did as well as it did:

1. Roy Dupuis impressed me with his ability to communicate the Richard persona. It was like he was bringing the Rocket back to life.

2. The gal who played Lucille was a very good at the limited role given her.

3. Stephen McHattie, who played Dick Irvin, for me, really stole the show on this one. He was so convincing as the legendary Habs coach. He had all the iron that Dick Irvin had.

4. I also liked the guy who played Frank Selke.

5. I know we don't like him too much as a player, but Sean Avery was excellent in his role as Bob "Killer" Dill. Little known about the real fight - afterward, Richard asked Dill to have dinner with him - and they became real good friends for a long time.

6. Loved the guy who played Toe Blake, and Mike Ricci was also very good as Elmer Lach. I also liked the guy who played Butch Bouchard.

7. Very accurate portrayal of the conflict between organized labor and management at the time, not just between French and English, but overall.

8. What little action footage there was was fun to watch.

Big Fan: 7/10

It was pretty good. Even though the guy (Patton Oswalt, who is actually a better actor that I thought he'd be) is a New York Giants fan, I could kind of identify with how much he loved his team. It's got some really funny scenes, and some scenes that are uncomfortable to watch. It's not nearly as much a comedy as I expected though, more of a dramedy. Great climax, totally unexpected. It's from the director/writer of The Wrestler, and it shares some of the same characteristics. However, it is not as good of a film as that was.

Hot Tub Time Machine: 8.5/10

Imho this movie is as good as the Hangover should have been. Very funny, entertaining and fairly clever.

Imho this movie is as good as the Hangover should have been. Very funny, entertaining and fairly clever.

There Will Be Blood: 7/10

Really 7???????

I hated this movie but that's just me.

Really? :unsure::blink:

Really? :unsure::blink:

Resevoir Dogs: 7.5/10 (I used to like this a lot more)

On There Will Be Blood....I didn't think it was a fantastic movie, but it held my attention and kept me interested for the full run time. I also found a lot of it blackly humorous which fits in with my sense of humor and sensibilities nicely. There was a lot I thought could've been improved: a lot of loose ends were left untied and I also found myself going "wait, what?" a few times because something or another wasn't entirely clear (which isn't necassarily a bad thing).