The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

I4I-vc4

I thought "The Other Guys" was fantastic! I hadn't seen a Will Ferrell comedy that good in years. I actually laughed out loud in the theatre constantly (the last 20 minutes or so weren't very comedic though), something which I don't always do with funny movies.

I'd give the first half of the movie 8/10 and the second half 4/10. I'm not a huge Will Ferrell fan, but I thought that he was actually really funny throughout a lot of the set-up. Marky-Mark was entertaining, too.

But what was with the lame action movie at the end? I like shoot-outs as much as the next guy, but if I want to see an action movie I'll go see an actual action movie. Some movies can be funny and exciting at the same time, but for the latter half this was neither. They also had that weird explanation of how a Ponzi scheme works over the closing credits (why?) when for a movie like this you'd much rather just see some outtakes. It was like they wanted everyone to leave thinking that there was some sort of social commentary on the finiancial crisis hidden in the film, but I just didn't see it.

Kick-Butt (now out on DVD) is 9/10 for me. (You know the real name; it transcribes here as Kick-*** though).

I saw it in the theater in the spring and was really blown away. I was reluctant to go at the time because the idea of a profane 11-year old girl killing people troubled me. But the reviews of the movie were very good, and, as I discovered, the Director did a good job in managing who she was profane at, and who she killed/maimed -- only the bad guys.

The musical score is superb and, amongst other film elements, is used to highlight that this is a comic-type super-hero story and not "real life possible", so that also further shelters the viewer. I was kind of shocked though to see one female adult (the mother, or the nanny?) at the theater with two children 4-6 years of age. Definitely not the movie for them; it is rated 18A, and for good reason.

I've just watched and enjoyed the film again, this time on DVD. One of the best elements (for me) is obvious homage the Director pays to key "heroes" of mine: Adam West, the original TV Batman (here as Big Daddy, played by Nicholas Cage, the only 'name' in the movie) and, moreover, Mathilda from one of my favourite all-time movies, Leon (9.5/10 and aka "Leon, the Professional", and directed by Luc Besson). Hit-Girl (Mindy McCready) in Kick-Butt is clearly a mock-up of the Mathilda character played by then 12 year-old Natalie Portman in her first feature film major role. She was stellar in the role, as was Jean Reno as an assassin.

Whether you like(d) Kick-Butt or not, I highly recommend Leon; it really is brilliant. If you love Kick-Butt, you should definitely not miss Leon. Rent it.

I really like them both.

Kick-Butt (now out on DVD) is 9/10 for me. (You know the real name; it transcribes here as Kick-*** though).

I saw it in the theater in the spring and was really blown away. I was reluctant to go at the time because the idea of a profane 11-year old girl killing people troubled me. But the reviews of the movie were very good, and, as I discovered, the Director did a good job in managing who she was profane at, and who she killed/maimed -- only the bad guys.

The musical score is superb and, amongst other film elements, is used to highlight that this is a comic-type super-hero story and not "real life possible", so that also further shelters the viewer. I was kind of shocked though to see one female adult (the mother, or the nanny?) at the theater with two children 4-6 years of age. Definitely not the movie for them; it is rated 18A, and for good reason.

I've just watched and enjoyed the film again, this time on DVD. One of the best elements (for me) is obvious homage the Director pays to key "heroes" of mine: Adam West, the original TV Batman (here as Big Daddy, played by Nicholas Cage, the only 'name' in the movie) and, moreover, Mathilda from one of my favourite all-time movies, Leon (9.5/10 and aka "Leon, the Professional", and directed by Luc Besson). Hit-Girl (Mindy McCready) in Kick-Butt is clearly a mock-up of the Mathilda character played by then 12 year-old Natalie Portman in her first feature film major role. She was stellar in the role, as was Jean Reno as an assassin.

Whether you like(d) Kick-Butt or not, I highly recommend Leon; it really is brilliant. If you love Kick-Butt, you should definitely not miss Leon. Rent it.

I really like them both.

Good call on the Professional. Kick-Butt was, for me, just a bit too disturbing. I agree with most of your pros - the actors were great, the visuals perfect, the pace and plot were fine too. What I had a problem was that here's this movie that bases its central theme on how we are a 'do nothing' society who wants to sit around and watch someone else get beat up...and so we do, in a film. I also was unimpressed with watching a grown man beat up a little girl. The profanity had less impact on me - its just words - but the violence was wrong imho. A suggestion of violence would have been much better (and less hypocritical based on the theme of the movie).

Id still probably give it a 7/10 and would most likely rewatch it, but with just a few tweaks it could have been sooooo much better imho.

The Expendables. 6/10.

I watched The Expandables last night and second that opinion. Pretty much exactly what I expected, awesome cast but the only guy who can actually act is Jason Statham. Jet "I need a raise" Li was funny too though :lol:

Good call on the Professional. Kick-Butt was, for me, just a bit too disturbing. I agree with most of your pros - the actors were great, the visuals perfect, the pace and plot were fine too. What I had a problem was that here's this movie that bases its central theme on how we are a 'do nothing' society who wants to sit around and watch someone else get beat up...and so we do, in a film. I also was unimpressed with watching a grown man beat up a little girl. The profanity had less impact on me - its just words - but the violence was wrong imho. A suggestion of violence would have been much better (and less hypocritical based on the theme of the movie).

Id still probably give it a 7/10 and would most likely rewatch it, but with just a few tweaks it could have been sooooo much better imho.

I understand your points on Kick-Butt. All the good elements overwhelmed them for me though.

SPOILER ALERT !! --divert your attention from the following if you haven't watched the movie yet and are planning to --

The broadcasting of the thugging(s) can be perceived as just that then -- commentary on society's current interest (back to the Roman times and slaves thrown to the lions, as it were).* That's the way I choose to see it, at any rate, if it was not intended that way. For example, I don't watch MMA, because it is real life beatings (although I do recognize that St. Pierre, as a prime example, is a tremendous athlete, and he happens to demonstrate as a very good person, from all I have heard and read).

The Kick-Butt director did appear to limit Hit-Girl's obvious injuries in the one scene you refer to where she does take a beating, to some 'ketchup' about her nose. The scene is important as it is the set-up for Kick-Butt to be the hero and save her, particularly after what happened earlier with Big Daddy.

* (Frankly, I just don't get 'Reality TV' at all myself. If I want to see someone "do their thing" I'd want it to be a superiour performance (like our Habs, (sometimes :D )). This (widespread?) interest in sitting watching normal people scripted on TV to do everyday normal things flabbergasts me no end.)

My favourite scene in Kick-Butt has to be Mindy gaining access into the protected high-rise where the bad guys are all holed up. Dressed as a school girl (right age, certainly) and weeping because she has "lost my Mommy and Daddy". The poor sod of a 'kind' doorman lets her in and ends up with a huge pistol with an even huger silencer stuck in his mouth and pointing out his cheek while the score starts up in some superb spaghetti western music that is instantly comparable to (recognizable as?) Clint Eastwood / The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (yet more due homage paid by the director). For this scene, it all just works really well, IMO.

I understand your points on Kick-Butt. All the good elements overwhelmed them for me though.

SPOILER ALERT !! --divert your attention from the following if you haven't watched the movie yet and are planning to --

The broadcasting of the thugging(s) can be perceived as just that then -- commentary on society's current interest (back to the Roman times and slaves thrown to the lions, as it were).* That's the way I choose to see it, at any rate, if it was not intended that way. For example, I don't watch MMA, because it is real life beatings (although I do recognize that St. Pierre, as a prime example, is a tremendous athlete, and he happens to demonstrate as a very good person, from all I have heard and read).

The Kick-Butt director did appear to limit Hit-Girl's obvious injuries in the one scene you refer to where she does take a beating, to some 'ketchup' about her nose. The scene is important as it is the set-up for Kick-Butt to be the hero and save her, particularly after what happened earlier with Big Daddy.

* (Frankly, I just don't get 'Reality TV' at all myself. If I want to see someone "do their thing" I'd want it to be a superiour performance (like our Habs, (sometimes :D )). This (widespread?) interest in sitting watching normal people scripted on TV to do everyday normal things flabbergasts me no end.)

My favourite scene in Kick-Butt has to be Mindy gaining access into the protected high-rise where the bad guys are all holed up. Dressed as a school girl (right age, certainly) and weeping because she has "lost my Mommy and Daddy". The poor sod of a 'kind' doorman lets her in and ends up with a huge pistol with an even huger silencer stuck in his mouth and pointing out his cheek while the score starts up in some superb spaghetti western music that is instantly comparable to (recognizable as?) Clint Eastwood / The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (yet more due homage paid by the director). For this scene, it all just works really well, IMO.

these are fair points - and well argued, innis. It still doesnt "feel" right to me - maybe because I have 2 young daughters, but as I said earlier, I will probably give it time to digest and then rewatch some time in the near future.

these are fair points - and well argued, innis. It still doesnt "feel" right to me - maybe because I have 2 young daughters, but as I said earlier, I will probably give it time to digest and then rewatch some time in the near future.
I can certainly see your perspective (been there). My "kids" are "older" now; they both have seen it and liked it (the son more than the daughter). Like me, they are still working on getting "wiser" though. :D

............... The poor sod of a 'kind' doorman lets her in and ends up with a huge pistol with an even huger silencer stuck in his mouth and pointing out his cheek while the score starts up in some superb spaghetti western music that is instantly comparable to (recognizable as?) Clint Eastwood / The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (yet more due homage paid by the director). For this scene, it all just works really well, IMO.
I just looked up the movie score and it is from Clint Eastwood's "The man with no name" trilogy, in this case "For a Few Dollars More":
(by the remarkable Ennio Morricone).

I just watched a couple movies that are probably generally off the main stream movie map but ended up being pretty good.

Walking Tall (The Rock) - 8.5/10 Solid movie. I actually really liked it but mostly because the rock was just so darn awsome in this movie. I won't spoil anything he does but lets just say he is the coolest sheriff you will ever see. And all the supporting actors in it were pretty good. It actually ended up being quite funny when i think it was supposed to be serious, but oh well it was still a solid movie.

Last Legion- 7.5/10 (Colin Firth, Ben Kingsley) Very underrated movie. Colin Firth and Kingsley both played solid in it and it had a pretty good plotline although there was a bit to much lame to really call it a great movie. But it wasn't bad. A good rent, sort of reminded me of a low budget Gladiotar (which for the record is 10/10). And the kid who plays Ceaser is a total tool, he brought the movie down from 8/10. I think i might actually be generous with the 7.5 but at the lowest 6/10.

Scott Pilgrim. 10/10.

Really? I heard it was a huge flop and a generally awful movie.

haha, i loved that movie (y)

Since it's structured less like a film and more like a novel, which chapter did you like the best out of the five?

Though I really liked chapter one chapter, two was definetely my favourite part of the movie when you get to meet the basterds and where they establish their background stories. "German Night in Paris" was great too. ;) The first quarter of Operation Kino (fourth chapter) was kinda boring if you ask me but then after that, after that quarter when they're in the tavern, it starts getting interesting again. :D