The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Deer Hunter: 10/10

great flick indeed.

I watched the Joneses this weekend - pretty funny dark humor. Makes you wonder if anyone has ever tried anything like it in real life (a fake family set up in a rich subburb to basically "soft sell" products...a la title "keeping up with the joneses") Duchovny was great & Demi Moore seems to have discovered the fountain of youth.

I saw three yet-to-be-released films on Monday at the Toronto International Film Festival. My daughter (budding teen-aged director) and I make one day of it each year; we pick the films together.

Now, take my ratings with this caveat -- I tend to like any well made film, almost no matter the subject. But I may temper that if the "idiocy" factor in the movie is too high (e.g., never could watch all of Jack-A** :D ).

127 Hours (9.5/10) (Danny Boyle's first movie since Slumdog Millionaire was vaulted by TIFF in 2008 and went on to win 8 Academy Awards).

The movie is a kaleidoscopic immersion into Aron Ralston's experience -- the U.S. mountaineer/adventurer who found himself "Between A Rock and A Hard Place" (the title of his book story on the incident) while canyoneering solo in 2003. Quite literally that's where he ended up finding his arm pinned, and it may still be there today (the rest of him is not). Boyle experiments (quite successfully) in this movie to drag the viewer into Ralston's experience and sets you up for his (Boyle's) thesis -- if you found yourself in the same situation, you would find a way to do it too. It's a reverse transformation; he takes a hero and turns him into an everyman. James Franco is stellar in it, and has just become one of my favourite cinematic people (the guy is a budding genius, currently working on his Ph.D. in English and Film Studies). Franco will definitely contend for Oscar Best Actor. See this one in the theatre to get the full kaleidoscopic immersion experience.

Boyle and the producer were at the (2nd) showing we were at, so there was Q&A (interesting and far too short) and my daughter got her picture with Boyle and his autograph on her ticket, so that all made her day (Dad's # 1, yet again :D ). Boyle's her favourite director. FYI: he's been selected to design and direct the Opening Ceremonies for the 2012 London Olympics.

127 Hours is supposed to be in theaters around Nov 1st.

Let Me In (8.0/10) It is an English remake of the recent Swedish Film Let the Right One In which received much critical acclaim. The remake is very true to the book and the Swedish movie, and I thought done as well as it could be. I really liked it. It is about 2 twelve year-olds (boy and girl) who develop a friendship. Eventually the boy learns her secret -- she's a vampire. It's a coming of age story more than anything and recalls several themes for me as a youngster, and will for many people. Again, the director, Matt Reeds (did Cloverfield) and the boy star (Kody Smit-McPhee from The Road) were there to talk about the film. Always neat to listen to "world best" people talk their craft. Smit-McPhee was outstanding in the movie, just as he was in The Road (9.0/10 for me for that movie). The girl vampire was played by Chloe Moretz from Kick-A**.

Let Me In is set to hit theatres this fall.

Never Let Me Go (7.5/10) Based on the U.K. best-selling book, this movie is slow and thought provoking. I liked it; I imagine many people won't. It is philosophical and moralistic, and attempts to push a number of buttons to make one think about life, pre-determination, and planned death, all in the context of youngsters / teenagers more typical yearnings to grow and build a life, have experiences (what do you think about the future when you know you don't have one?). You'll have to be in the mood to see it. The filming itself is very simple but suits the themes, I thought -- the issues really are pretty simple.

The film stars Carey Mulligan (quite good in it) and Keira Knightly. I imagine it will see somewhat limited release, this fall.

Edited by Innis_Mor
High Fidelity: 6/10

The book is much much better - less optimistic - different reasoning behind the same ending .... the movie really doesn't do the book justice and I love John Cusack.

As for my last viewed film - Timer - I would rate it a 9/10 - a great alternative to all the rom/coms out there, thought provoking without being too 'heavy' and still fun(ny) and a bit less predictable. It is my new recommendation to those who will listen...

Date Night with Steve Carrell & Tina Fey - was surprisingly good. For that type of flick (2 normal people in the wrong place at the wrong time comedy - lots of 'coincidences' etc), it was one of the best Ive seen in a long time. Some extremely funny scenes, the leads were great & the cameos/small roles of tons of stars was fun.

Id give it a comfortable 8.5/10

Clash of the Titans 2010, unfortunately is not so lucky. While I dont see it as sacrilege (some think it is not as good as the original - the original was REALLY bad) I still think this one is better. Some of the actors were good, many were not. I found myself wanting a lot more scenes of the "gods" (Liam Neeson & Ralph Fiennes- who, incidentally were last opposite one another in Schindlers List) The CGI is great, but like so many recent ones, thats about all you're left with. Id give it a (generous) 5/10. Not bad to watch if you're in a really mindless mood & dont want to think. :P

He's done some good work since then too (men with brooms, Passchendaele etc).

I loved Due South! The first two seasons were on here in the states, but I had no idea they did two more seasons up in Canada until a cable network bought the syndication rights and all of a sudden there were episodes with the "new Ray." I now have all four seasons on DVD.

Last time I got a free trial on Netflix, I got some of his more recent work. Men With Brooms was enjoyable, but I really disliked Slings and Arrows. Passchendaele still hasn't been added to their collection, which is disappointing. He was also in the short-lived ABC series Eastwick. Not a very good show, but it had some decent eye candy and a chance to see Paul in a very different role than I'd seen him in before.

Devil 1/10

In some cultures they cut off a part of a thief for stealing. The way I see it M. Night Shalyaman owes me at least 2 hands a leg by now. On the plus side my fiancé is never dragging me to another one of his movies again.

Poor Acting, another poor re tread of an old twilight zone episode, no logical coherent script ( a piece of toast with jam falls on the floor and lands jam side down it means the devil is near by yes, you heard me right that’s what they said, toast with jam down = devil near by )

Devil 1/10

In some cultures they cut off a part of a thief for stealing. The way I see it M. Night Shalyaman owes me at least 2 hands a leg by now. On the plus side my fiancé is never dragging me to another one of his movies again.

Poor Acting, another poor re tread of an old twilight zone episode, no logical coherent script ( a piece of toast with jam falls on the floor and lands jam side down it means the devil is near by yes, you heard me right that’s what they said, toast with jam down = devil near by )

:lol::D

If you want real, quality thriller / fantasy / horror:

• Anything with Guillermo del Toro associated with it (Pan's Labyrinth (10/10), The Orphanage (9/10), and the soon to be released Don't be Afraid of the Dark)
  • also, Let the Right One In (Swedish, out on DVD) or the English language remake about to come to the cinemas (Let Me In)
Edited by Innis_Mor
:lol::D

If you want real, quality thriller / fantasy / horror:

• Anything with Guillermo del Toro associated with it (Pan's Labyrinth (10/10), The Orphanage (9/10), and the soon to be released Don't be Afraid of the Dark)
  • also, Let the Right One In (Swedish, out on DVD) or the English language remake about to come to the cinemas (Let Me In)

i hated Pans Labyrinth . I was expecting so much more and it didn't deliver. I 've seen previews for Don't be afraid of the Dark. Another remake but i will be the first to admit it doesn't look too bad.

You don't have to tell me about Let the Right One In. I've been advocating it for months now. I will probably see the remake but i have a feeling i am going to be let down. Perfectly good movie and they have to remake it to bring it to a "broader audience."

Translation: Movie goers in North America hate to read ( hence they have to drop 2 two words from the original title because that was 2 too many! just keeping it real, real dumb :rolleyes: ) so were going to change the movie to have a more north american feel. Oh and were going to use lots of CGI because people want to see stuff go BOOM! and Bam and Mwarara!!!!

No one likes M. Night Shyamalan! :D

(I kind of pity him, though.. Unbreakable was a brilliant movie)

Devil 1/10

lol @ M. Night Shyamalan.

After watching The Village and Lady in the Water, I avoid his movies as much as possible.

i hated Pans Labyrinth . I was expecting so much more and it didn't deliver. I 've seen previews for Don't be afraid of the Dark. Another remake but i will be the first to admit it doesn't look too bad.

You don't have to tell me about Let the Right One In. I've been advocating it for months now. I will probably see the remake but i have a feeling i am going to be let down. Perfectly good movie and they have to remake it to bring it to a "broader audience."

Translation: Movie goers in North America hate to read ( hence they have to drop 2 two words from the original title because that was 2 too many! just keeping it real, real dumb :rolleyes: ) so were going to change the movie to have a more north american feel. Oh and were going to use lots of CGI because people want to see stuff go BOOM! and Bam and Mwarara!!!!

I saw Let the Right One In on dvd, and then I saw Let Me In at it's world premiere at TIFF. The director (Matt Reeds) and the boy actor (who was really good), Kody Smit-McPhee, were both there and talked about the film. I was impressed. It was really well done as an English-in-America re-cast and re-shoot (that's what they were aiming for). The CGI is fairly limited and in fact was not all that well done. As we know that wouldn't be key anyways. I'd say the original is better mostly because it came out first, and hits the themes a bit better. The book is better than the original movie too, for the same reasons.

I agree English-in-America remakes are 'lamentable', but if they are going to do them, at least do them this well, and I can take it. I'll end up owning both movies. They are both that good.

I heard they are doing similar with The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo (Swedish to English).

Pan's Labyrinth remains one of my very favourite movies of all time. Utterly brilliant in every way. I know del Toro has had to step away from The Hobbit because it was taking too long, but I expect he'll still have left his mark on the double movie.

He's been going straight down hill ever since Signs. The Village was tolerable, Lady in the Water was weak, and The Happening was horrible. I didn't even both with this one, and it sounds like I made the right choice. He had such a bright future after Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs. It's a shame he's tumbled so far.