The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

I4I-vc4

Frost Nixon 8/10

Small breakdown... After Nixon left office, he stayed away from the spotlight until an Australian Talk show host decided it would be a great idea to interview the former president. I guess Nixon thought it would be a walk in the park, since the interview was given by an Australian TV personality (I believe he was originally from the UK, but moved to Australia to start fresh). I saw it on blueray and for those who are interested in this movie and have blueray, get it!

Hrm. I havent seen the movie, but if they slanted it like he was Australian or that was where his career started, its quite wrong. Frost was a very well known humor-journalist all over the world at the time. He did a number of Political Satire programs in Britain in the 60s (a modern day version/comparison would be our own Rick Mercer) and it was on his show (the frost report) that John Cleese got his start.

He worked primarily in Britain but did start a show in NY (the david frost show) where he eventually met Nixon and had variations/syndication/specials around the world (Ie Frost over Australia). The belief is that when Frost's show was cancelled, he was looking at redemption. Nixon thought he was going in for a nice easy ride (like when people would get interviewed by Jay Leno vs. going on Letterman) and was in for a big shock.

The interviews were carried out in California, for British TV. (I believe Nixon was paid for the interviews & therefore much of the broadcast world was not interested in it - thinking it was going to be a political white-wash).

I suspect it came off as him being australian (or a supplanted brit in australia) because it was one of the few Frost shows that wasnt cancelled at the time, although in the grand scheme of his Dosier, his time in Australia was very minor.

I do want to see this flick though because it sounds very good & I usually really like Ron Howard's work.

Hrm. I havent seen the movie, but if they slanted it like he was Australian or that was where his career started, its quite wrong. Frost was a very well known humor-journalist all over the world at the time. He did a number of Political Satire programs in Britain in the 60s (a modern day version/comparison would be our own Rick Mercer) and it was on his show (the frost report) that John Cleese got his start.

He worked primarily in Britain but did start a show in NY (the david frost show) where he eventually met Nixon and had variations/syndication/specials around the world (Ie Frost over Australia). The belief is that when Frost's show was cancelled, he was looking at redemption. Nixon thought he was going in for a nice easy ride (like when people would get interviewed by Jay Leno vs. going on Letterman) and was in for a big shock.

The interviews were carried out in California, for British TV. (I believe Nixon was paid for the interviews & therefore much of the broadcast world was not interested in it - thinking it was going to be a political white-wash).

I suspect it came off as him being australian (or a supplanted brit in australia) because it was one of the few Frost shows that wasnt cancelled at the time, although in the grand scheme of his Dosier, his time in Australia was very minor.

I do want to see this flick though because it sounds very good & I usually really like Ron Howard's work.

Thanx for the info Jed... I know it's based on the real interview, one thing that came up in the movie, was that people thought of Frost as a talk show host(not a serious Journalist). They did make mention of him being a Brit who was popular in Australia(at the time). Honestly, I wasn't too interested in Frost, I was watching it for Nixon. Nixon was an extremely intelligent man, who thought he could fool the nation. You were right, Nixon was payed for interview, a lot coming out of Frosts own pocket. The interview almost didn't happen, a lot of the investors didn't think an interview with Nixon by an Australian TV personality, would go over too well. They didn't believe he'd draw in the viewers.

They didn't say his career started in Australia, they made it seem his popularity was highest in Australia. There was mention that his career started in Britain (I believe), but that wasn't the focus of the movie-They lightly touched on Frosts career. Basically, people around Nixon, investors and even some working for Frost(gathering info), didn't take him seriously and doubted his capabilities. They didn't believe he'd be a cut throat interviewer, that he'd be too soft on Nixon. Which is probably why Nixon agreed to be interviewed by Frost.

I won't say anymore, let you see it for yourself. Again, if you have blueray, rent the blueray version, the extras are worth it.

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1 - 10/10

This movie is more than half the book and a great deal of info was certainly left out. I still enjoyed the movie (as I did with all of the movies in the series) and I can't wait for part 2 (when everyone starts dying).

I watched the new Robin Hood movie, and its plot was unoriginal, its battle scenes sucked, and it ended in a corny way. Still enjoyable though. So I give it a 6/10. It stands that the best Robin Hood movie is Men in Tights :lol:

If you want to see the Best ROBIN HOOD Movie - the one with Errol Flynn is the best 10/10 :DB) - the latest one I give a 5/10 - it should've started were it ended. :lol: .

Thanx for the info Jed... I know it's based on the real interview, one thing that came up in the movie, was that people thought of Frost as a talk show host(not a serious Journalist). They did make mention of him being a Brit who was popular in Australia(at the time). Honestly, I wasn't too interested in Frost, I was watching it for Nixon. Nixon was an extremely intelligent man, who thought he could fool the nation. You were right, Nixon was payed for interview, a lot coming out of Frosts own pocket. The interview almost didn't happen, a lot of the investors didn't think an interview with Nixon by an Australian TV personality, would go over too well. They didn't believe he'd draw in the viewers.

Good point! I dont think Frost was particularly interesting - certainly not without nixon ;)

They didn't say his career started in Australia, they made it seem his popularity was highest in Australia. There was mention that his career started in Britain (I believe), but that wasn't the focus of the movie-They lightly touched on Frosts career. Basically, people around Nixon, investors and even some working for Frost(gathering info), didn't take him seriously and doubted his capabilities. They didn't believe he'd be a cut throat interviewer, that he'd be too soft on Nixon. Which is probably why Nixon agreed to be interviewed by Frost.

Interesting that they would try to spin it that way.

I won't say anymore, let you see it for yourself. Again, if you have blueray, rent the blueray version, the extras are worth it.

Yeah, sounds good. If i get a choice, I always pick blu ray these days - not so much because of the better picture (i have 2 great upscaling DVD players that sometimes fool me into believing Im watching a blu ray, to be honest) but more because of the add ons. Just picked up Watchmen the other day & man the add ons were phenomenal.

On another note, I finally watched the expendables tonight. Good god. I would say Im being generous in giving it a 3 / 10.

You know, when you watch a movie & at the end notice "directed by clint eastwood" and you say "wow, that makes sense." well this one was written & directed by sylvester stallone...and it sure feels like it. A shame because I really like Jason Statham and Jet Li.

Misfits [season 1] 10/10 (Iwan Rheon, Robert Sheehan, Lauren Socha, Alex Reid)

A group of kids doing community service get struck by lightning during a storm, and begin to develop superpowers.

Rescue Me [season 3] 9.4/10 (Denis Leary, Michael Lombardi, Steven Pasquale, Callie Thorne, Tatum O'Neal)

My So-Called Life [1-10] 8/10

"My So-Called Life" is a realistic mid-nineties teen drama series that takes a look at a 15 year-old girl and her trials and tribulations with being a teenager and dealing with friends, guys, parents and school. (source: IMDB)

Good point! I dont think Frost was particularly interesting - certainly not without nixon ;)

Interesting that they would try to spin it that way.

Yeah, sounds good. If i get a choice, I always pick blu ray these days - not so much because of the better picture (i have 2 great upscaling DVD players that sometimes fool me into believing Im watching a blu ray, to be honest) but more because of the add ons. Just picked up Watchmen the other day & man the add ons were phenomenal.

On another note, I finally watched the expendables tonight. Good god. I would say Im being generous in giving it a 3 / 10.

You know, when you watch a movie & at the end notice "directed by clint eastwood" and you say "wow, that makes sense." well this one was written & directed by sylvester stallone...and it sure feels like it. A shame because I really like Jason Statham and Jet Li.

Like I said in my reply to your post... It wasn't as much about Frost, as it was about the interview and Nixon. Maybe they made mention of Australia cos at the time that's where his career was.

You really didn't like the expendables?

I've wanted to watch it mainly cos of all the olde timers coming back.

On another note:

Grown Ups 7.5/10

To be honest, I liked Kevin James on King of Queens, but not impressed with his movie career. Sandler, loved him on SNL, but got sick of his baby talk. Chris Rock, had some good movies and some mediocre one's after leaving SNL. Rob Schneider get's on my nerves since leaving SNL.

I took a while to finally rent it... Wasn't too keen on hearing Sandler talking like a baby and acting childish.

I was really surprised... Together they make up a great cast. I laughed a lot, more than I thought I would.

Misfits [season 1] 10/10 (Iwan Rheon, Robert Sheehan, Lauren Socha, Alex Reid)

A group of kids doing community service get struck by lightning during a storm, and begin to develop superpowers.

This show is flippin' awesome. Have you caught it on TV or are you watching it online? And do you know anything about a new season? Even though that sentence there is basically what the show is, it's makes it sound not very good. :lol:

This show is flippin' awesome. Have you caught it on TV or are you watching it online? And do you know anything about a new season? Even though that sentence there is basically what the show is, it's makes it sound not very good. :lol:

Online. Well kinda.. I download it from pspiso, convert it using AnyVideoConverter and then put it on my psp. I always use pspiso.com when it comes to tv downloads.

Season two is currently running and I have not heard any word on season 3 yet. I started watching it in late november and it has quickly become one of my favorite shows! I am now at episode 4 of season 2. I'm going to watch episode 5 after tonight's game.

I copied it and pasted it off IMDB. Maybe you should send them an email or something and let them know that their plot summary sucks.. ? :lol:

Rescue Me [season 4] 9/10 (Denis Leary, Michael Lombardi, Steven Pasquale, Robert John Burke, Jack McGee)

-The finale was kinda disappointing..

Rescue Me [Minisodes] 10/10 (Denis Leary, Mike Lombardi, Daniel Sunjata, John Scurti, Steven Pasquale)

-There is a total of ten five-minute pre-season 5 minisodes. I thought the funniest ones were:

1) Spelling: Minisode 5 - Lou bets that Mike will fail to spell the most obvious of words.

2) Fantasy: Minisode 2 - Tommy's dream takes a turn for the worse, delighting his bunkmates.

3) Sandwich: Minisode 7 - When Lou's lunch goes missing, the guys have some explaining to do.

4) Sweat: Minisode 9 - Tommy and the boys emerge from a blaze looking to cool off, only to find an empty cooler and Mike the probie bathing in hydrant water. But soon music starts, and grown men start begging. (Source: TV.com)

So i FINALLY saw Inception last night. For me, it was the best movie Ive seen all year - possibly in the last 5 years. If I try to think about movies that Ive seen in the last 5 years that have had that much impact on me, I come up with Hotel Rwanda and Pan's Labyrinth. thats it. Damn fine movie.

I give it a 9.5/10 (I almost never give anything a 10)

For me, it was extremely inventive and gripping (big surprise from Nolan!) and overall just a brilliantly constructed, crafted and acted film. Suspenseful, thought provoking and the thing I really liked about it is that it stuck to its guns - it wasnt a mind-bender that turned into a violent shoot em up (the Matrix), it didnt turn into some romantic drama with Dicaprio Falling for Page. I thought character development was good all around (could have been slightly better with Hardy & Watanabe) and the casting was spot on. I cant remember the last bad movie Joseph Gordon Levitt was in.

For those that have seen it, I'll also add a funny anecdote. After watching it I had a very vivid dream:

My wife said to me "You are dreaming" and I said, "no no, im not - see, i have this spinning top, its mine, i know this is reality."

"No!" she insisted. "You are dreaming. I know it because i love you so much."

"But I dont get it - that means it IS real - - I love you so much too!"

To which she said "But you're married to my sister!"

Thankfully I woke up at that point. ;)

So i FINALLY saw Inception last night. ..............

For those that have seen it, I'll also add a funny anecdote. After watching it I had a very vivid dream:

My wife said to me "You are dreaming" and I said, "no no, im not - see, i have this spinning top, its mine, i know this is reality."

"No!" she insisted. "You are dreaming. I know it because i love you so much."

"But I dont get it - that means it IS real - - I love you so much too!"

To which she said "But you're married to my sister!"

Thankfully I woke up at that point. ;)

Uhhhhh ....... hopefully, your wife's sister wasn't in the bed when you woke up. :(:D:lol:

Saw "The Other Guys" over the weekend... Yeah I know, it's only coming out tomorrow, but I have connections. ;)

I usually stay away from any Will Farrel movie(don't like his characters), but I enjoyed this one.

One of those silly, slap stick type movies. I give it a 7/10.