The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

I4I-vc4

Two movies in the last couple of days:

The Last Airbender: (a very generous) 2.5/10.

This movie was perhaps the worst thing Ive seen all year. It fails on almost every level (only the great cinematography and good CGI earn it the 2.5 stars for me). The story is fine - simple, typical epic yarn, but becomes completely pointless and juvenile if the rest of the film (character development, plot, dialogue, acting) fails.

The actors are absolutely abysmal. Im not sure if they're just really bad, or if they knew how crappy this movie was & were going through the motions. The dialogue borders on an old episode of the Power Rangers (and im talking the Tv series here, not even the PR movie!) - even the music is heavy-handed. If it wasnt for the solid Photography work (Andrew Lesnie - who was also DP for the LOTR trilogy) I dont think it would have even been watchable. The laughable 'action' sequences (again similar to a power rangers episode) mar the otherwise solid CGI (take a look at the flying bison, Appa - its actually very well done).

The worst thing about this movie is that it has no audience. I have often defended juvenile-seeming flicks/characters (ie Jar Jar Binks) because of the target audience - my kids love some of the things we consider childish - but this movie like a drowning man flailing around for a life preserver. Who is it's target? Its obviously not meant for adults for the reasons listed above. That leaves out teenagers too. Its not meant for small kids as its too scary & 2nd - 5th graders will probably be confused by it.

And the best part of all: there's still more to come!!

The other movie I watched was

13 which I give 8.5/10

Its a very "different" sort of flick - not for everyone but very gripping/absorbing. I cant really say much about the plot other than the fact that its definitely a movie for adults. Its not especially gory but it is shocking and it really makes you question what you'd do in such a damned if you do/damned if you dont situation. Its a remake of the french movie 13 Tzameti - but they did use the same writer/director as the original: Géla Babluani, so hopefully it doesnt lose much in the translation (i havent seen the original).

If you like movies like fight club or reservoir dogs, you'll probably like this one.

My Little Eye [2002] 8/10 (Kris Lemche, Sean Cw Johnson, Jennifer Sky, Laura Regan & Bradley Cooper)

Plot: Five young people apply to live in an isolated house together for six months while their every move is filmed by numerous cameras. Each has their reason for wanting to be there - fame, money, adventure. The prize - $1 million. The rules - if one person leaves, everyone loses. It becomes the ultimate morality test. Source: IMDB

-This movie was wayy better than I expected it to be.

The Experiment [2010] 7.9/10 (Adrien Brody, Forest Whitaker, Cam Gigandet, Travis Fimmel, Ethan Cohn)

Needle [2010] 6/10 (Michael Dorman, Travis Fimmel, Jessica Marais, Tahyna Tozzi)

Prison Break [season 4] 8.5/10 (Wentworth Miller, Dominic Purcell, Michael Rapaport, Robert Knepper, Leon Russom )

Triangle [2009] 8.9/10 (Melissa George, Michael Dorman, Liam Hemsworth, Henry Nixon, Rachael Carpani)

Plot: When Jess sets sail on a yacht with a group of friends, she cannot shake the feeling that there is something wrong. Her suspicions are realized when the yacht hits a storm and the group is forced to board a passing ocean liner to get to safety, a ship Jess is convinced she's been on before. The ship appears deserted, the clock on board has stopped, but they are not alone... Someone is intent on hunting them down, one by one. And Jess unknowingly holds the key to end the terror. (Source: IMDB)

81% fresh on RT: My link

Edgar Allan Poe - Terror of the Soul (PBS American Masters series): 7/10

The Princess Bride - 8

It's not very well known here so I'm late to the party. Inconcievable, I know. Loved it!

Stardust - 7

It has a much lighter tone than the one I got from the book. Fresh and charming in certain parts. The love story is done beautifully.

Date night with the wife

Morning Glory - terrible movie 2/10 only because Harrison Ford was in it.

How Do You Know - better than the one above but too long, did have it's moments. The guys (Wilson,Rudd,Nicholson) were funny but Witherspoon's character was so annoying.

If you did want to see these wait until the dvd for sure.

Speaking of Date Night this movie was a lot better but not great 7/10

Restraint [2008] 8/10 (Teresa Palmer, Travis Fimmel, Stephen Moyer)

Acolytes [2008] 8/10 (Sebastian Gregory, Hanna Mangan Lawrence, Joshua Payne, Michael Dorman, Joel Edgerton)

The Beast [complete series] 7.5/10 (Patrick Swayze, Travis Fimmel, Lindsay Pulsipher, Kevin J. O'Connor, Johnny Kastl)

Dinner for Schmucks 8/10

I was surprised to see this at the movie store - i hadnt heard anything about it when it came out in the theatres & Im a big Steve Carell fan & even bigger Paul Rudd fan.

I am not sure if this movie would have even been watchable if it hadnt been cast so astutely. Rudd is absolutely perfect as the "every man" - put in a situation that a less charming character would gain our ire over, he handles himself well & still gets our sympathy. More importantly, however, is Carell's character. I think you could line up 100 actors & put them in this role & watch the movie flop. Im thinking of how terrible it would have been with Adam Sandler or Mike Myers in his place. Even someone like Ricky Gervais I think would have come off as pithy, while Carell manages to be an absolute train wreck & still earn our feelings.

I know its not for everyone, but f you like movies like role models, shallow hal, etc (ie rough around the edges but ultimately fairly heartwarming) then i think you'd be down for this one. :)

@ jedimaas

If you like Dinner for Schmucks, go for Le dîner de cons, its French original.

I hope you understand French, because the English dub of this film is quite bad. Anyway, many jokes get lost when films are dubbed.

Really guys, French comedies are among the best comedies I know!!! :D

i saw tourist and it was a good movie since the cast were Angelina Jolie and johnny Depp. And again Johnny Depp plays another character in here. And he portraits is like the real character.

It was a good movie the twist and climax was good. Angelina still has the appeal and aura.

Black Swan [2010] 8/10 (Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Vincent Cassel, Barbara Hershey & Winona Ryder)

Frozen [2010] 9/10 (Kevin Zegers, Emma Bell, Shawn Ashmore, Ed Ackerman)

Unstoppable [2010] 7/10 (Denzel Washington, Chris Pine, Rosario Dawson, Kevin Corrigan, Lew Temple)

Road Kill (Original Australian title: Road Train) [2010] 4.5/10 (Xavier Samuel, Georgina Haig, Bob Morley, Sophie Lowe)

Piranha [2010] 5/10 (Steven R. McQueen, Jerry O'Connell, Elisabeth Shue, Jessica Szohr & Richard Dreyfruss)

The Town [2010] 9.5/10 (Cast: Ben Affleck, Jeremy Renner, Rebecca Hall, Blake Lively & Jon Hamm) (Director: Ben Affleck)

Resident Evil: Afterlife [2010] 6.5/10 (Milla Jovovich, Ali Larter, Wentworth Miller, Shawn Roberts, Kim Coates)