The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

I4I-vc4

• 2 weeks later...

:lol::lol::lol: Avalanche Sharks. Yup,,,just what it implies. Jaws in the mountains. :lol::lol::lol: . Bad acting,,,bad special effects,,,, stupid people,,,all blonde girls (boy are they the stereo-type) ,,,,,,,and hungry sharks,,,,,what could go wrong? No helmets skiing,,, no helmets on the snowmobiles, ,,,, this is toooo much. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

1/2 out of 10,,,,I only gave it that much because it was soooooo stupid, it was funny.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heaven is for real: 7/10

Saving Mr. Banks: 12/10

• 1 month later...

Been watching a ton of movies lately as I have a list to watch over the summer

42: 6/10. I guess I had higher expectations for it but found it a little short, great movie but not my favourite.

12 years a slave: 9/10. Loved it, great movie although a little slow paced at points.

Midnight In Paris: 10/10. Probably one of my new favourite movies.

The Gold Rush: 6/10. Silent film so it drops a bit on the rating, but can appreciate it for its time. Chaplins work is amazing.

The Kid: 8/10. Watching it now, very touching film.

Goodfellas: 7/10. Don't quite see how some people say this movie is better than Godfather parts one or two.

Pulp Fiction: 7/10. Good movie, but I got a little lost at points and just wasn't that into it.

Life of Brian: 7/10. Hilarious movie, definitely worth checking out if you are into Monty Python or comedy movies in general. Beware though as there is some nudity.

Up In The Air: 9/10. Great movie, was very impressed as I didn't know much about it other than it got nominated for best picture.

Silver Linings Playbook: 8/10. Definitely interesting, but a little sad and frustrating to watch the main character although i guess thats the point. Kinda a chick-flick too, but I was entertained.

Hurt Locker: 8/10. Very tense and well done film, although its not 100% accurate as people are saying and a bit over rated, I definitely enjoyed it.

Life of Pi: 7/10. A very difficult book to translate to film, but I feel they did a tremendous job.

The Departed: 9/10. I never really remembered this movie being a big deal, but man was I impressed. Great cast, great acting, writing, story. It had everything.

Breakfast Club: 8/10. Love John Hughes for Home Alone movies, was very impressed with this as it was something I was told by countless people I "haven't lived till i'd see it".

And no this was not done in a short amount of time, and I still have a rather large list to go through.

• 3 weeks later...

The three Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series.

The first one is a classic movie for any fan. It has action, adventure, comedy, drama and everything that can be expected. And the effects are amazing. You actually feel like those are exactly what the live action turtles would look like. You can feel there was a passion behind it and it really shines in the movie. Maybe i'm the only one but I miss how movies looked dark and gritty at the time. You just can't have that type of atmosphere anymore. New movies are too bright because of the newer type of cameras that absorb light. 9/10

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Secret of the Ooze was a very good sequel to the first one. Yes it was a bit underplayed and was less violent then the first one but it is still very enjoyable. It's a good cheesy movie and very memorable. It had the action, adventure and comedy that can be expected. I recommend this to all fans. 7/10

Then we come to this...abomination, for lack of a better word. The 3rd movie is just bad. And not "so bad, it's good", no... it's so bad it's BAD. Like how bad? Like is it the worst of the Turtles trilogy? Oh undeniably. But that's not the point. My point is that this is one of the worst movie I've ever seen in my life! When i first watch that movie as a kid in 1993, because I was such a big Turtles fan, I just accepted it. I just held the truth inside but now, looking back at it, I have to be a honest man: This movie is terrible! There is no atmosphere, no character development, no story, no effort, no...ANYTHING! It's painful to even sit through. The plot is SO ridiculous. The "writers" send the Turtles BACK IN TIME to ancient Japan(?!), a place where they don't have any villains from the comics or the cartoon. If the 2 previous movies, we have Shredder and Tatsu who are really awesome. In this movie we have....Norinaga a cliché samurai and Walker a English gun merchant on a horse. They could have easily brought back Shredder or maybe Krang or Baxter Stockman. They had an abundance of evil villains they could have used to make this movie more appealing but they chose a crappy character named. But you'll say: They cannot bring those characters to ancient Japan. Well this is exactly my point. They should NEVER send the Turtles to ancient Japan. With Shredder or Krang, the franchise could have a 4th and maybe a 5th movie, but this movie killed the franchise. This movie is the reason why they never made another Turtles movie until 2007. 1/10

• 4 weeks later...
Guest habs1952

The Amazing Spider man 2 - 7/10

Godzilla - 8/10

X men - 6/10

Xmen 2 - 7/10

Xmen the last stand - 5/10

The wolverine - 7/10

X men first class - 8/10

Guardians of the Galaxy - 10/10

21 jump street - 7/10

WOW!!! Don't you have anything better to do, like preparing for the new school year, than sitting around all summer watching movies? :)

Lately ive been watching a lot of South Korean movies. Frankly, they put the whole hollywood thriller genre to shame. Im not sure what it is - if its because its harder to make a movie there thus only the ones with the best stories and talent get made but whatever it is, time after time these movies (at least the ones you can get over here) are of an amazingly high standard. Note: this is an all ages board but these are definitely NOT all ages movies. Most are pretty violent (although more often than not the gore is limited and the actual violence is often off screen). Oh and (of course) they are all subtitled. A couple (oldboy etc) have been dubbed but id strongly recommend the subbed versions.

Oldboy: 10/10 - The movie that started the South Korean craze. This is an amazing film from start to finish with one of the best twist endings ever. Remade in America with a fairly poor copy last year. (as a frame of reference, i give the american remake 4.5/10)

The Chaser: 10/10 - This is the quintessential thriller movie. Dark, beautifully filmed and gripping from start to finish

The Good, The Bad & the Weird: 9/10 - A Korean Western. Brilliant, hilarious and some interesting political undertones. Featuring Byung-hun Lee (storm shadow from the GIJoe movies)

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance: 9/10 - Same writer/director as Oldboy, doesnt have the one huge twist but has probably 30 over the course of the movie. Im not sure ive ever seen a film with so many "no way" moments. Brilliant.

Memories of Murder - 9/10 - based on a true story, this film is gripping, tense and in some places very funny. An extremely well crafted movie

A Tale of 2 Sisters - 8/10 - creepy, moody and just a flat out amazing horror movie. remade into the american "the univited" which was watchable but nowhere near as effective. (american remake 5.5/10)

Lady Vengeance - 8/10 - Same writer/director as Oldboy, an icy vengeance thriller, methodical and very well crafted. Stunning cinematography. There are 2 versions one which slowly (over the course of the movie) fades to black and white - very very cool effect that follows the vengeance storyline brilliantly.

Joint Security Area - 9/10 - Same writer/director as Oldboy, a brilliant movie overall but with terrific political undertones (happens at a north/south korean outpost involving both sides).Featuring Byung-hun Lee (storm shadow from the GIJoe movies). FWIW, Tarantino ranked it as one of his 20 favourite movies in the last 20 years.

The Man From Nowhere - 8.5/10 - this one is probably the least 'plot heavy' in that its really sort of like a north-american action flick (taken?) but the fight scenes are so well choreographed and innovative its worth watching. There's a knife fight inside a bathroom stall for example, that feels simultaneously frenetic, claustrophobic and exhilarating all at once.

The Host - 8/10 - probably one of the only films you may find at your local video store, this one got decent north american release. Its a great monster movie with some very subtle political undertones. So much different than most hollywood monster movies you'll ever see, especially the ending.

I Saw the Devil - 7/10 - i know a LOT of people love this movie and there are some amazing scenes but it is one of the most brutally violent movies ive ever seen. Unlike many Korean movies where they pan away at the last second, this one shows a LOT of gore, so be forewarned. The story is a real thought-provoker though I just think it would have been more effective with at least a little less gore. Featuring Byung-hun Lee (storm shadow from the GIJoe movies)

A Bittersweet Life - 9/10 - One of the best gangster movies ive ever seen. Again, featuring Byung-hun Lee, this movie is so powerful and visually stunning. Takes a little while to get into but by the end you will be wishing it wasnt over.

Thirst - 8/10 - just a weird weird vampire movie. Definitely worth watching but its so surreal in places you have to laugh. Its drama, comedy, action and vampires all rolled into one.

Im a Cyborg but thats Ok - 8/10 - one of the only non-action movies on my list, its funny, quirky and silly. Its sort of like Amelie in a mental institution. Definitely unlike anything you've seen before.

My Sassy Girl - 8/10 - also remade in north america this one is very funny. (american remake 5/10)

The Yellow Sea - 7.5/10 - takes the same two leads from the chaser but now the good guy is played by the bad guy from that movie and vice versa. Some very good parts to this film but also slow in parts (especially in the beginning)

Into the Mirror - 7/10 - Remade as the american (Mirrors) it is so far above that one in terms of storyline and value, they shouldnt be mentioned in the same breath. Unfortuanately it gets a little muddled in what its trying to be, so there's a let down but its much more sci-fi/horror than the american horror/gore remake. (American remake 5/10)

There's more but thats a good start if anyone is interested in checking some out ;)

The Woman in Black (the original version of 1989)

Lots of people have caught The Woman in Black with Daniel Radcliffe, but not many have seen the original version of 1989. It was based on the Susan Hill novel, as was the 2012 remake. But the two are very different movies, the ’89 film being an old-school horror film that has more in common with The Haunting (1963) than with The Woman in Black from 2012. Sure, the remake made me jump out of my chair but the ’89 version builds to a crescendo of honest terror, working on your intellect rather than relying upon inciting your fight-or-flight response.

If you’re a fan of ghost stories you owe it to yourself to see The Woman in Black, as it’s an obscure but very effective horror flick.

(7.5/10)

You can watch the complete movie here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eQ5sFNUg9M

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fury: 8/10 .... except there is this long dinner party in the middle of a tank movie .... huh?!?

The Drop: 9/10 ... another Dennis Lehane story again done very well on film

A Walk Amongst The Tombstones: 8/10 ... Right up Liam Neeson's alley ... heck, that guy can make the worst movie ever at least a 7/10 all by himself, just be being himself.

Warning, don't not rent "Worlds Greatest Dad", staring Robin Williams, if you're looking for a comedy.

I know on the cover the caption, "the years funniest...", it is anything but.

It's actually quite dark and a little disturbing, with a silver lining ending.

Just a heads up.

St. Vincent: 8/10 good, funny, light,, feel good movie ... with a great "Irish" joke at the start. Bill Murray was in top form.

Gone Girl: 4/10 Chick-lit made directly into chick-lit movie (book author Flynn did the screenplay as well). All the guys are total dolts and the women are the dominating individuals with all the brains. Pass. (I know there are movies made the other way around too ... i don't care for those too. Women aren't bimbos either.). Funny, but I was similar on Argo, another film with Afleck -- not as good as all the hype.