Playoff Showdown

Bourne

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather face?

• Washington
    • Pittsburgh
    • Buffalo
    • New Jersey

Just for some fun, I am curious who everyone would rather play against in the first round. In all likelihood we are posed to face either Buffalo if we maintain this winning streak or New Jersey should the team dwindle however still perform. Barring a complete fall out of the eleven remaining games, it is exceptionally nil we will face Washington. The load down on the aforementioned teams?

Washington

Ridiculous offense, capable and willing to score goals in bunches in a single period. The play a similar style to Detroit of old, the offense first philosophy however their defense is an overall liability and goaltending is suspect. Nevertheless eight players with twenty plus goals, Ovechkin with 44 goals and 96 points in only 61 games, Mike Green leading defensemen in points once again? Their offense is simply frightening.

Pittsburgh

The defending Stanley Cup champions and generally believed a balanced team with the ability to repeat. Sidney Crosby is on a goal scoring tire and Malkin seemingly as relocated his nitch, thus the dreaded Penguin depth is flying on all cylinders. Their defense is solid, in addition to goaltending thus providing a challenge. Gonchar has admittedly been upon the decline this season however such has yet to impede Pittsburgh surge to dual rings.

Buffalo

Depth is what the Sabres define, they are devoid of an elite all-star forward/defenseman however their team effort has allotted them a fantastic season run, coupled by a mind baffling performing from Ryan Miller, who is a nigh guarantee for the Vezina this season and Buffalo is a sleeper challenge. In all told honesty, Buffalo is difficult to descript. On paper they are a lackluster team, in reality the define what "team work" represents.

New Jersey

Defense, by lord defense. They not only define the meaning, the may as well have invented it. Perfectly capable of scoring two goals and sitting contently to a coasted win. Strangely enough the Kovalchuk trade has seemingly provided more of a hindrance than a benefit, a nick in the preverbal armor if you will. This is further accounted by less than stellar goaltending from the beloved Martin Brodeur and one has to ponder.

Well my theory is finish as high as possible and let the cards fall where they may so I don't spend a lot of time hoping to get this opponent or that opponent but IMO Buffalo is clearly the weakest team of those 4 and it seems like Miller is starting to wear down from his enormous load this season. I'd rather face New Jersey next, people are scared of Marty but he's beatable and so are they.

I am for facing Washington first, should we dwindle down the stretch and finish last. Reason being, Washington not only scores a ton of goals, they give up allot too! All we need to beat Washington is a steady defense and some killer goaltending. Our offense should be able to produce enough against their weak D and Goaltending. My 2 cents.

Washington

Ovechkin and Semin scare the bejeepers out of me but their defence is suspect. Green and Corvo are both vulnerable but do bring the firepower on offence. That Fehr guy is always problematic too but maybe our revived bottom 6 can neutralize the Fehr guy.

Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh lost one important weapon from last year that the Habs now have. HAL GILL! :lol: But Crosby and Malkin scare the bejeepers out of me like the Washington pair.

New Jersey

I'd like to save them for later.

Buffalo

This would be my preference to play first. As mentioned they have no superstars and Tyler Myers is a young pup who may stumble under the pressure. Obviously Miller is worrisome but whatever.

The present play by the Habs is a little mind boggling. I'm still not sure what I'm watching but if it's definitely an improved team then I really do feel they can beat anyone. They've beaten all the aforementioned teams and at times during the most dire circumstances.

I would have to say Buffleblow, i would want to take on the least physically dominate team , which i think might be them, although none of those teams are really big bruisers, its a really tough call

one small voice in my head screams washington thou.

Still buffalo #1 choice.

as long as we dont play those damn flyers

Well my theory is finish as high as possible and let the cards fall where they may

+1. I think no matter what, you go into the playoffs playing your heart out & hopefully have an easier opponent at first.

Of the teams we likely will face - frankly, I think we could potentially beat any of them. Yes, even washington.

Just for the fun of it though:

Pittsburg probably scares me the most because not only do they have the talent, they know what it takes to win. They have their holes and Im not sure Id pick them to repeat this year, but Id be quite surprised if they didnt get out of the 1st round, regardless of who they face. Dont forget that over the last few years, Pittsburgh has actually been the most consistent team in the east.

Washington is still green & while they have some of the best players in the world, they are somewhat suspect in goal & team defense. They can be beaten (as we've shown this regular season already) and actually they have a lot of trouble with any team that plays a patient (boring) game waiting for washington to make mistakes. If our team plays like they can, and martin adjusts his coaching accordingly as necessary, we can beat them. That said, Id rather not face them initially, although to be honest, I think they may be easier to beat in the first round than in later ones.

Buffalo is probably the most beatable, but all you need is for Miller to find his game again for a week or two and we're out. Id rather not be the 'favorite' in the first round & I think we probably would be against buffalo.

New Jersey - definitely has given us trouble. - and while I think on paper we have a better overall team, im not sure i want to go head to head against a Jacques Lemaire coached team in the first round of the playoffs.

Ultimately, I think we can win (or lose) against any of these guys. I dont think there's a "free ride" in the group and at this point at least, im not sure I even have a preference.

+1. I think no matter what, you go into the playoffs playing your heart out & hopefully have an easier opponent at first.

Of the teams we likely will face - frankly, I think we could potentially beat any of them. Yes, even washington.

Just for the fun of it though:

Pittsburg probably scares me the most because not only do they have the talent, they know what it takes to win. They have their holes and Im not sure Id pick them to repeat this year, but Id be quite surprised if they didnt get out of the 1st round, regardless of who they face. Dont forget that over the last few years, Pittsburgh has actually been the most consistent team in the east.

Washington is still green & while they have some of the best players in the world, they are somewhat suspect in goal & team defense. They can be beaten (as we've shown this regular season already) and actually they have a lot of trouble with any team that plays a patient (boring) game waiting for washington to make mistakes. If our team plays like they can, and martin adjusts his coaching accordingly as necessary, we can beat them. That said, Id rather not face them initially, although to be honest, I think they may be easier to beat in the first round than in later ones.

Buffalo is probably the most beatable, but all you need is for Miller to find his game again for a week or two and we're out. Id rather not be the 'favorite' in the first round & I think we probably would be against buffalo.

New Jersey - definitely has given us trouble. - and while I think on paper we have a better overall team, im not sure i want to go head to head against a Jacques Lemaire coached team in the first round of the playoffs.

Ultimately, I think we can win (or lose) against any of these guys. I dont think there's a "free ride" in the group and at this point at least, im not sure I even have a preference.

Well Said I agree.

The way we been playing we can beat anyone i feel but then again we could lose to any of those 4 teams whether it be by Goaltending ( Brodeur and Miller Who may catch fire again ) Or by Pure lights out scoring ( Wash Pit ). But we have beaten all 4 of them it would be a interesting series anyway.

Personally if the ducks lined up and we got the division Title and Ottawa rebounded to hold 6th a 1st round of Ott vs Mon is interesting considering Kovalev lol

I would rather face Ovie or Crosby in any round with the likes of Theo and Fleury in net, who both have been inconsistent this season, then the likes of NJ(Marty) or Buffalo(Miller).

^^ What he said.

How many times have we beaten the nondescript Sabres this season?

I'm more concerned about Goalies who are capable of winning games than great forwards. Forwards can be contained (or at least held to "normal" numbers) as we've proved against WSH and PIT already this season - with a more beaten-up lineup too!

You simply can't plan for insane goaltending. Personally, I think Marty is now more beatable than Miller despite Miller's very recent lack of form.

I'll vote NJ.

Out of those choices, Buffalo. The Habs have historically had less then stellar luck against NJ and I don't want to watch a playoff series against Washington or Pittsburgh, despite the fact the Habs have beaten them this year.

I think the exact opposite, actually: I'd rather they play against Washington or Pittsburgh precisely because it would be so much fun to watch. Both teams should provide a fun hockey game from a fan's standpoint, and I also think we've got as good a shot at beating them as anyone else does. The goal, for me, is always to win the cup, and to win the cup you're going to have to go through the big teams sooner or later anyway. Might as well start off with a bang :)

In any case, I'm basically hoping we win every game until the playoffs start, let the chips fall where they may.

^^ What he said.

How many times have we beaten the nondescript Sabres this season?

I'm more concerned about Goalies who are capable of winning games than great forwards. Forwards can be contained (or at least held to "normal" numbers) as we've proved against WSH and PIT already this season - with a more beaten-up lineup too!

You simply can't plan for insane goaltending. Personally, I think Marty is now more beatable than Miller despite Miller's very recent lack of form.

I'll vote NJ.

Don't forget that we've got some goaltending that has the ability to steal games for us as well. This is especially the case against teams that rely almost entirely on offense (read: Washington)

Personally I think it`s ridiculous to aim for a certain spot so we can face team `x` in the playoffs. Like Roy said, let`s finish where we end up and let fate decide.

If it came down to choice, I`d go with either Buf or NJ. I think it`s been a long season for Miller and as good as he`s been, he`s showing signs of fatigue-I believe the silver finish really crushed him mentally.

NJ-I still believe we`ll see the fruits of the Kovy trade eventually, but my biggest fear about facing NJ, has always been Marty. This has been his most inconsistent season of his career. He`s either stoning em or letting em in. I`m not so sure we`ll be seeing vintage brodeur, he seems slow to get up and has lost those quick reflexes that made him the goalie every team hated to face.

Goaltending has always been a big thing when going into the post season. Look at 06, both teams in the cup finals got there cos of strong goalies-Caines with Ward and the Oil with Roli. Before the caines put in Ward, they were down 2 games to our beloved Habs. Before the Oilers acquired Roli from Minnesota, they weren`t even in the playoff picture.

So i`d be happy facing either Buf or NJ in the 1st round... And hey, it wouldn`t be the 1st time the Habs had an easier run to the finals cos the big teams were knocked off by lower placed teams. In the post season anything can happen... Your goalie gets hot, a few lucky bounces and before you know it you`re in the finals.

I'd have to say NJ or Buffalo. I voted Buffalo, just because of the history with Brodeur and french goaltenders. Washington would be my last choice and I think the fates would be tough to overcome against Pittsburgh; the good lord only knows how much marketability the NHL would lose if the Golden Boy and his flightless birds were knocked out in the first round. Same could be said about the Capitals; the suits would love another Washington-Pittsburgh tilt, I'm sure. Heck, if it's like last year's, I'd look forward to it, too. :D

1-yes 4-no way in hell

1. Buffalo: Team is similar to ours, not physical but uses speed and goaltending for wins.

2. New Jersey: Broduer is getting old, team lacks goal scoring but they have strong defense.

3. Wasignton: If our goaltending can pull a Patrick Roy and our offense scores enough, Its possible to beat them.

4. Pitsburg: They are well rounded which makes them scarey even though goaltending some times fails.

1-yes 4-no way in hell

1. Buffalo: Team is similar to ours, not physical but uses speed and goaltending for wins.

2. New Jersey: Broduer is getting old, team lacks goal scoring but they have strong defense.

3. Wasignton: If our goaltending can pull a Patrick Roy and our offense scores enough, Its possible to beat them.

4. Pitsburg: They are well rounded which makes them scarey even though goaltending some times fails.

You've got some serious MMW's in your sig lol. I don't think you're correct on the first one so far though though, BG certainly wasn't fired, and i don't think we're in a rebuilding year or we would have been sellers at the deadline. And the Habs are looking much better for the playoffs. But hey back when you made that we certainly weren't so im not sayin much there.

As for who you'd wanna play in the first round here, I pretty much agree. Buffalo would be my first choice, out of the four options of course. I feel we would have the best chance against them, and wouldn't mind starting on the road if we had too. But with two games left against them and a big one coming up against Ottawa who knows what's going to happen. Personally I wanna see us win as many games as possible to close out the season and go from there.

If we could move up high enough, and depending on the situation of Leighton in Philly, they could be picked off with Boucher in net. Just my opinion of course. Lot's of time left before the playoffs for some guys to get healthy.

Archived