The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#42 Jarred Tinordi 2012-2013

Kubby31

I heard some very positive comments about his speed during camp. I'm thinking same timeline as you (possible jump to the bigs some time next season) but I have to say I'm salivating a bit at the thought of a guy his size who can actually skate.

I thought his skating was a lot better than last year, no doubt. But I don't see him as being as NHL-ready as some say he is. I think a year in Hamilton will do him good, and I think he'll be close to ready by training camp next season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like Kaberle sits a little longer.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=418156

I really dont agree with this move. Kaberle is the perfect player to be playing sheltered 3rd pairing minutes & get 2nd PP ice. We had Gorges & Boullion as our 2nd pairing last night for Pete's sake.

That said, Im happy for Tinordi. My guess is, as Roy pointed out, he's here to get a sniff & some NHL experience, but I wouldnt expect to see him up for long. I am sure that at least part of the motivation (going into the trade deadline) is to see if he is ready (99% sure he's not) but one of our "holes" right now is a physical stay at home defensman - something Tinordi should fill very well, in a couple of years - so they should at least look/evaluate.

It just looks like MB is holding a mid season training camp to assess our farm talent. He's taking advantage of injuries, to have a look at what we have down there prior to the trade deadline. It's something we couldn't really do before now because of the shortened training camp this year.

Surprising since he's been pretty awful in Hamilton.

Saying he's been awful is a little harsh... Sylvain Lefebvre recently said that Tinordi has been the motor of his penalty kill. If I'm not mistaken, the habs PK has been terrible as of late.

Lefebvre also mentioned his outstanding leadership in the lockerroom.

The habs need help with their Penalty Kill, so this call up is understandable

Saying he's been awful is a little harsh... Sylvain Lefebvre recently said that Tinordi has been the motor of his penalty kill. If I'm not mistaken, the habs PK has been terrible as of late.

I'd be surprised if he was playing regularly on the PK in Montreal.

Why's that?

Therrien plays bouillon an gorges on the power play, who's to say they won't play Tinordi, who is a great penalty killer, on the penalty kill?

MT uses Gorges and soup on the PP cos he wants at least stay at home d in case the play comes back the other way.

Tinordi may be doing well in Hamilton, but there's a huge difference between AHL and NHL. I would try him in 5 on 5 situations to see how he does before putting him on the point in a PP situation. On an odd man rush, you want to see Josh or even Soup out there over a wet behind the ears, AHL dman.

Don't get me wrong, I've liked this kid since we drafted him. Just don't think he's ready for the speed and skill of NHL fowards, specially if it turns into an odd man rush where Tinordi is the last man back. He'll get there some day, but this is his very first look at the NHL. We can't throw him to the wolves just yet. We don't want to freak the kid out either, we don't want to send him back to hamilton overwhelmed and discouraged. Give him a taste, see how he stacks up and progress from there.

i agree this is probably a taste of the action to see where he is at, as much for him as management. this is the time to do it, we are comfortable in the standings we have some room and if it does not work we have kaberle. also if they want to move a dman they need to be sure wheere the young guys are at

IMHO, I see Jarred as a Hal Gill type of player. In 55 GP this year he has 2G and 9A, and no goals on the PP, so I doubt if we'll see him there. I can see him on the PK tho (possibly with Gorges or the 2nd unit), and some 5 on 5 to start.. He's 6'6", and 218#, so he has reach.

I only saw the kid play in one game in Hamilton. He looked OK but his foot speed seemed slow to me. Not sure how he'll handle the faster paced NHL forwards. Looking forward to seeing the comparison.

The Hamilton coach say's he is NHL ready right now, so that likely factored into the call up.

Lefebvre says a lot of things that don't make sense. He'll often say the team played well after getting completely dominated from start to finish in every zone.

I only saw the kid play in one game in Hamilton. He looked OK but his foot speed seemed slow to me. Not sure how he'll handle the faster paced NHL forwards. Looking forward to seeing the comparison.

The Hamilton coach say's he is NHL ready right now, so that likely factored into the call up.

That's why I'm worried about putting him at the point during the PP like some suggested. And you know how often our habs like to give up odd man rushes. Wouldn't want to leave the last line of defense up to a kid playing in his first few NHL games.

Use him on the lower pairings, keep his shifts short and see how he handles it.

Why's that?

Therrien plays bouillon an gorges on the power play, who's to say they won't play Tinordi, who is a great penalty killer, on the penalty kill?

Being a great penalty-killer in Hamilton and being a great penalty-killer in the NHL are two different things. Therrien's not going to throw a raw rookie into the fire if he has other options, and at the moment, he does have other options: Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Markov, even Bouillon.

Being a great penalty-killer in Hamilton and being a great penalty-killer in the NHL are two different things. Therrien's not going to throw a raw rookie into the fire if he has other options, and at the moment, he does have other options: Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Markov, even Bouillon.

Yes, and its not like our PK has been good. A strong, well-running PK maybe you give Tinordi ice time towards teh end of a game we're winning handily. The way our PK is right now, we cant afford to put anyone out that isnt the best we have.