Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fourtrax

Benoit Pouliot

248 posts in this topic

The home opener should bring out the best from all the players, Gionta's line will be attacking tonight.

As long as he keeps making space for Gomez and Gionta and taking away time and space on the backcheck Martin will be happy with his play because if he keeps doing those little things the point will come. Gomez is good with the puck but he needs space to work in Benny with his size can do that.

I missed the game, but was wondering if there was a reason for Pouliot's lack of icetime? Only Moen had less TOI... Heard Ben played physical too.

Edited by Poonjo

I thought Benny played well tonight actually except for one absolutely unforgivable mistake in my books. The goal to tie at 2 I think the puck came around to him and he didn't get it out, it went to St.Louis in front and the rest is history. I didn't notice his lack of ice time, maybe because there were so many special teams and 4 on 4 tonight?

I missed the game, but was wondering if there was a reason for Pouliot's lack of icetime? Only Moen had less TOI... Heard Ben played physical too.

Trop de penalties. Benny is not on special teams apart from 2nd PP unit.

Not good in tonights game at all.

I disagree. He wasn't spectacular but considering how little ice time he could get (not his fault, more all from the penalties we took) he hustled, threw 2.5 good hits and made a really good heads up play late in 1st to prevent a good shot opportunity by the Bolts D man.

I thought Benny played well tonight actually except for one absolutely unforgivable mistake in my books. The goal to tie at 2 I think the puck came around to him and he didn't get it out, it went to St.Louis in front and the rest is history. I didn't notice his lack of ice time, maybe because there were so many special teams and 4 on 4 tonight?

I wouldn't blame him entirely for that goal. Spacek threw it up the boards a little unnecessarily as he was not under pressure. Benny fought the d man to get it out but it took a big bounce straight out to middle of ice and Bolts had a guy right there.

If BP uses his size effectively like he was starting to show tonight he could be very effective this year.

Good God man.......you learn to put your stick on the ice around the net in novice house league!!!!!!!

Pouliot demoted to the fourth line as per RDS this morning.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/307970.html

facepalmsc.jpg

I hope this is just a practice move that doesn't reflect what Martin's planning to do for the next game, because if it is, I hate it on two levels:

1. Pouliot hasn't played well, but you can't just yank a guy off a line after three frickin games. Give him a sustained chance to prove himself on that line (10-15 games is about right IMO). If he's still not getting it done, then you can explore other options. This just smells like typical Martin panic.
  2. Travis Moen? Really, Jacques? Because Moen has performed so much better than Pouliot over the past three games? Because Moen is a goalscorer? :rolleyes: I'm so sick of this "put a grinder on a scoring line to wake the line up" garbage. IT NEVER WORKS. The person who should be replacing Pouliot is Lars Eller.

replaced by Moen? :angry:

I am not a fan of Benny's (go read what I have said all summer), but he has been hitting :blink: at least. AND if you are going to remove him from top 6...why on earth give his place to Moen?

LOL weep we were typing at the same time. :lol:

I hope this is just a practice move that doesn't reflect what Martin's planning to do for the next game, because if it is, I hate it on two levels:

1. Pouliot hasn't played well, but you can't just yank a guy off a line after three frickin games. Give him a sustained chance to prove himself on that line (10-15 games is about right IMO). If he's still not getting it done, then you can explore other options. This just smells like typical Martin panic.
  2. Travis Moen? Really, Jacques? Because Moen has performed so much better than Pouliot over the past three games? Because Moen is a goalscorer? :rolleyes: I'm so sick of this "put a grinder on a scoring line to wake the line up" garbage. IT NEVER WORKS. The person who should be replacing Pouliot is Lars Eller.

Spot on. Pouliot looks much better right now than he did during the playoffs, he posted two assists and 12 hits in 3 games. He needs to produce goals but that's kinda difficult if Gionta and Gomez aren't getting anything done either. I don't think this move sends the right message because he certainly wasn't the reason we lost the game last night. As for Moen on a scoring line ... meh ... looks like Carbonneau all over again. It would make some sense if Pouliot had been playing soft but that wasn't the case really, I actually think he had an okay start into the season, much better than Gomez and Gionta anyway. Oh well, let's hope this is not going to be our starting lineup for Friday night.

Agree on every point, Weep. I think its a terrible move (although in fairness to JM, maybe its just for practice) but even if i was to consider dropping Pouliot off that line, the only guy with a similar skillset & upside worthy of Gomez/Gionta is Eller. Finally, if Pouliot is to be demoted you have to give him something more than 4th liners to work with. At least Halpern and Laps have some, albeit small, skill to go along with their game. Just switch Pouliot & Eller outright, if you must make moves so early in this season.

I personally think this was just a shake-up at practice. (just posted the same in the Martin thread).

Shaking up the wrong players does very little in a game and even less in a practice. Where's the positive?

Shaking up the wrong players does very little in a game and even less in a practice. Where's the positive?

I never said there was a positive :D

I personally think this was just a shake-up at practice. (just posted the same in the Martin thread).

You may well be right BCH but I dont think its the right move.

It is probably a message to Pouliot that when you have the puck, and half the net staring you right in the face, you better start putting the puck in it.

Something he didn't do last night.

You may well be right BCH but I dont think its the right move.

Neither do I Jed, but at least it would be less of a wrong move than actually using those lines in a game. Pretty sad when our best case scenario is hoping our coach is only making a kind of bad decision. :rolleyes:

Neither do I Jed, but at least it would be less of a wrong move than actually using those lines in a game. Pretty sad when our best case scenario is hoping our coach is only making a kind of bad decision. :rolleyes:

Haha. True, true.

Its frustrating though, because at times I think martin has really been a step forward for this team, but then things change and...

The one positive is that Gauthier has already made it clear he will make whatever decision (even those against Gainey) that he feels makes this team better. I dont see PG standing for insane coaching moves for a whole season like Gainey did with Carbo. If Martin cant get Gauthier's team to work the way Gauthier has envisioned, expect him to be replaced. Just IMHO.

Spot on. Pouliot looks much better right now than he did during the playoffs, he posted two assists and 12 hits in 3 games. He needs to produce goals but that's kinda difficult if Gionta and Gomez aren't getting anything done either. I don't think this move sends the right message because he certainly wasn't the reason we lost the game last night. As for Moen on a scoring line ... meh ... looks like Carbonneau all over again. It would make some sense if Pouliot had been playing soft but that wasn't the case really, I actually think he had an okay start into the season, much better than Gomez and Gionta anyway. Oh well, let's hope this is not going to be our starting lineup for Friday night.

Bingo! Bingo! Bingo! Couldn't agree more.

Bingo! Bingo! Bingo! Couldn't agree more.

Just a thought... the leaves are in rhapsody and Pouliot is the "Fall" guy ;)

Im with everyone else on this one, they are getting chances but not capitalizing on them. They are working hard you can see it putting Moen with them is a down grade. Benny is hitting and causing turn overs moving him to the fourth line will crush any progress there might be, maybe Martin should take the kid aside and point out were he is playing well and give practice on hitting the net instead.

Now Pouliot knows he has to hit less and be a little more invisible to get back on the second line.