Followers 0
fourtrax

Roman Hamrlik

652 posts in this topic

#44 Roman Hamrlik

8458938.jpg

BioStatsVideoDraft Class
QUOTE LIBRARY

In the league since he was chosen first overall in 1992, Hamrlik has called an NHL blue line his home since he was only 18. While no longer the flashy player who once set a Lightning record for defensemen with 65 points, he has adapted his game and now does the little things that can often make a difference on any given night. Canadiens.com, June 14 2010

#44 Roman Hamrlik

8458938.jpg

BioStatsVideoDraft Class

QUOTE LIBRARY

In the league since he was chosen first overall in 1992, Hamrlik has called an NHL blue line his home since he was only 18. While no longer the flashy player who once set a Lightning record for defensemen with 65 points, he has adapted his game and now does the little things that can often make a difference on any given night. Canadiens.com, June 14 2010

From my point of view the Hammer has been a tower of power on the Habs defence since he got here.

From my point of view the Hammer has been a tower of power on the Habs defence since he got here.

and serious eye candy for us ladies :P

1st round, 1st overall pick in 92

Only 1st pick we've had on this team in a long long time

Will he still be any good ont he penalty kill? I know that he is past his prime but still...

Really? He strikes me as the kind of guy who has too much hair in all the wrong places. lol.

Really? He strikes me as the kind of guy who has too much hair in all the wrong places. lol.

:lol: must be the "off" season :lol:

:lol: must be the "off" season :lol:

for roy maybe but not for me :lol:

really hope youre keeping in shape and doing a lot of cardio ... if we're going to be using you to cover for markov and his minutes ...

We can grumble and moan about his salary all we want, but it isn't really that bad. Hammer is only signed here for one more season, and after that, I wouldn't mind seeing him stick around for another year or two (much lower cap hit). Hammer is no longer a top 2 defenseman who can log big minutes game after game, but he's still a very serviceable top 4.

My favorite play/move by Roman Hamrlik.............

It's a very subtle move he does when with the puck he'll fake a pass and hold onto the puck. It generally causes the forechecker to turn and go up ice and it opens up more passing lanes. Best example was against Detroit last year and it sent AK46 in alone although he didn't score. It's a very subtle move but then that's what Hamrlik does - subtle moves.

really hope youre keeping in shape and doing a lot of cardio ... if we're going to be using you to cover for markov and his minutes ...

I'm trying too.......oh nm.

Roman Hamrlik is entering a contract year, so I wonder how he'll do. He won't be getting another 22 million dollar contract, but if he plays well he could be earning himself a 2-year, 6 million dollar deal somewhere else, or even here. Perhaps he'll retire, but judging from what we saw last year he still a legitimate top-4 dman.

I hope we resign him at a reduced rate.

Roman Hamrlik is entering a contract year, so I wonder how he'll do. He won't be getting another 22 million dollar contract, but if he plays well he could be earning himself a 2-year, 6 million dollar deal somewhere else, or even here. Perhaps he'll retire, but judging from what we saw last year he still a legitimate top-4 dman.

I hope we resign him at a reduced rate.

For the next 2-3 years, a lot of teams will still be under the heavy long-term contracts they've signed to "stars" over the past couple of off-seasons. We saw goalies suffer this year and I don't see GMs over-paying for a D-man in his late 30s next year, even if he has a decent year. He'd really have to play well to earn a big contract. My guess is that he ends up signing for 2.5-2.7 a year and that he'll be happy if he can work out a 2 year deal. For that price I'd consider re-signing him but anything 3 or over is too much unless Markov leaves and we have nothing else to replace him with.

I'm trying too.......oh nm.

you had it right i was talking to you :mellow:

My favorite play/move by Roman Hamrlik.............

It's a very subtle move he does when with the puck he'll fake a pass and hold onto the puck. It generally causes the forechecker to turn and go up ice and it opens up more passing lanes. Best example was against Detroit last year and it sent AK46 in alone although he didn't score. It's a very subtle move but then that's what Hamrlik does - subtle moves.

I've noticed this myself. It's not even a fake pass really, just kind of a stutter step backwards. He's one of the only guys I've really noticed do this...probably not though...

I wasn't able to watch hockey last season (just got back into it) But how was his play last year?

I wasn't able to watch hockey last season (just got back into it) But how was his play last year?

He had to fill a lot of minutes with Marky out for a substantial period of the season. While Markov was out, he and Spacek were our best two dmen I thought. People got down on Hamrlik because he put the puck over the glass for a few delay of game penalties that cost us goals. People thought his +/- wasn't good enough, but he was on all the time it seemed, against top lines. His partner Spacek ended up with the best +/- on the team I believe.

Down the stretch he slowed down, no doubt about it, but he continued to play a lot. He was paired with Subban a bit, and this was a decent puck moving/shutdown pair.

His numbers for the year:

gp-75 g-6 a-20 pts.-26

he was good/decent early on in the season and filled markov's absence well for a bit...but as the games and minutes piled up he slowed and down the stretch he just wasnt it...hed be ok if he didnt have to play big minutes...

Hope we won't trade this season and hope they'll re-sign at least 1 more year by season's end ;)

That 5.5m cap hit may seem like a distraction to our cap but I don't mind since he has 1 more year on his contract. Where would we be without Hammer last season and what are we gonna do without Hammer? Just hope he does some cardio before season starts. :rolleyes:

Although the perception is that he's overpaid I think he earned every penny last year. He really didn't have much help last October through December. He was fine up until the Olympic break and shortly thereafter. He did appear either tired or injured or a combination thereof and he started to make mistakes.

I don't recall any of the delay of game penalties leading to goals but it's possible. I think fans remember his most glaring errors against Washington and that's the lasting impression. He was called out by the coach and ponied up with self awareness in meeting with the media. I thought he was stellar in the Pittsburgh series offensively and defensively something he doesn't get much credit for IMO. The team didn't hit on much against Philly but he was a big reason the Habs won at least a game.

His play may have faltered at times but I don't think the work ethic ever did.

I don't get to see much hockey being down here in Australia, so my opinion probably isn't worth that much, but I would like to see us re-sign this guy for another year or two, obviously at a lower price. He's old and well past his prime, but he's still a servicable player in a reduced role with fewer minutes.

I'd be willing to take him back on a one-year contract at vastly reduced dollars in 11-12. But that's a contingency plan that we should explore only if we have no other option, or if our top-four is already solidified.