Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fourtrax

Roman Hamrlik

652 posts in this topic

What does that have to do with anything? And who were the acquaintances because I understood it was one man they were introduced to by another Canadien hockey player(s) which is how the "alleged" association even took place. The "undesirable" misrepresented himself as a sports equipment sales rep. It frustrates me about this player that people still use a witch hunt by a certain part of the media and hold it against him for one reason or another.

He's not "A" material? Obviously you missed Hamrlik wearing the "A" for a period of time last year. He also wore an "A" with Edmonton. I was at the game in North Carolina and there is a repeating theme with Hamrlik. During stoppages he frequently is holding conversations with different players and it doesn't appear to be small talk. And the one player that was genuinely and noticably upset about that loss was Hamrlik. After the fifth goal about a weeks worth of expletives came out of his mouth. He and Wiz were both besides themselves and mad but not at each other. Hamrlik also gave the bench a two hander with his lumber which splintered all over the ice. I'd even conjecture his penalty at the end of the game was on purpose so he could continue to seeth alone in the penalty box. LOL

He doesn't tell corny jokes and isn't as much into the "player speak" as some other players.

I like Hamrlik as much as the next guy. I think he's done very well for the team over the past two years and he's one of the few reliable vets we have. But I don't thin that translates into who gets picked for the C and A's. I have no idea what goes on in the room, but Hamrlik doesn't seem lie the type of guy who gets up to talk when there are so many other louder mouths in there. And while he may be helping the younger players, I think the cultural divide has left him in a bit of a clique whereby he isn't necessarily a voice for the whole team. Keep in mind that a captain/associate has to be able to relate not only to the players but to the coach and to the refs and although Hamrlik is not a bad choice, I don't see him as being a prominent choice with the other guys we have on the squad.

I like Hamrlik as much as the next guy. I think he's done very well for the team over the past two years and he's one of the few reliable vets we have. But I don't thin that translates into who gets picked for the C and A's. I have no idea what goes on in the room, but Hamrlik doesn't seem lie the type of guy who gets up to talk when there are so many other louder mouths in there. And while he may be helping the younger players, I think the cultural divide has left him in a bit of a clique whereby he isn't necessarily a voice for the whole team. Keep in mind that a captain/associate has to be able to relate not only to the players but to the coach and to the refs and although Hamrlik is not a bad choice, I don't see him as being a prominent choice with the other guys we have on the squad.

There are a couple of guys that either wear "A"'s or talk to the media a lot who seem to be more interested in doing so to validate themselves somehow. That's just my perception of them. They like hearing themselves talk. It could be that # 44 doesn't feel the need to talk to the very media that made his life miserable for a couple of weeks and forever has his name associated with an undesirable word. And that shouldn't mean he's any less of a leader - just a quiet guy.

Without getting too political I do think the cultural difference does work against (fans and media) him, sadly. But watching the team interract on the ice I sense he's a pretty popular and respected guy.

Having said all that you seemed to dismiss the point I made that he's actually worn the "A" for two different teams despite the cultural difference, and in the case of Montreal after being targeted by an overzealous media. :lol: My main objection to your original post was that you used that "alleged" association as a reason why he doesn't wear an "A" which I think is unfair, especially given the fact he's worn the "A" since and more importantly absolutely nothing was ever proven with that "association" except that certain facets of the media don't mind toying with a guy's reputation, again sadly.

There are a couple of guys that either wear "A"'s or talk to the media a lot who seem to be more interested in doing so to validate themselves somehow. That's just my perception of them. They like hearing themselves talk. It could be that # 44 doesn't feel the need to talk to the very media that made his life miserable for a couple of weeks and forever has his name associated with an undesirable word. And that shouldn't mean he's any less of a leader - just a quiet guy.

Without getting too political I do think the cultural difference does work against (fans and media) him, sadly. But watching the team interract on the ice I sense he's a pretty popular and respected guy.

Having said all that you seemed to dismiss the point I made that he's actually worn the "A" for two different teams despite the cultural difference, and in the case of Montreal after being targeted by an overzealous media. :lol: My main objection to your original post was that you used that "alleged" association as a reason why he doesn't wear an "A" which I think is unfair, especially given the fact he's worn the "A" since and more importantly absolutely nothing was ever proven with that "association" except that certain facets of the media don't mind toying with a guy's reputation, again sadly.

That's why I said alleged, but the possibility is still there, and I think it's fair to say that at the very least, Hamrlik spent time outside the rink with the Kostitsyn brothers, one of whom was unpopular with management and the other who has had his share of issues with work ethic too. All I'm saying is that the perception of Hamrlik is that he is not a traditional leader-type, and one of the reasons is that he is a European player who doesn't give many interviews and doesn't appear to be very vocal in the room. When other players talk about the leaders in the dressing room, his name rarely comes up. To a lesser extent, I think that's also why the team chose Gionta as captain over a guy like Markov, who shuts his mouth and does his job but doesn't speak up as much and doesn't have the same ease with the media (a big part of the job in Montreal).

I completely agree with you that several of the players who do get to don the A are not ideal either, namely Gomez and Cammalleri. But for me, Gio, Gorges, Markov, Gill, and Pleks are all ahead of him on the leadership chart, and I'd also consider Darche to be up there with Hamrlik as another candidate. In any case, I think the debate is a bit moot, since JM clearly has his favorites and isn't going to deviate from them in his selections.

Anyone who truly follows the Habs would know and could tell when the team isn't pulling it's weight. It would be more than obvious to knowledgeable hockey fans,Roman really doesn't have to point out the effort or lack of it.

Hammer is such a hard worker

He's got not time for a shirker

You say he doesn't talk a lot

But I think that's a load of rot

I have seen him do interviews

And his opinion gets rave reviews

The fact his homeland is far from here

Should never make a difference is that clear

He is one of the best on our team

He is truthful but never mean

We would have never got this far

If Hammer didn't play way over par

We have nothing to criticise him for

He cannot give us any more

This man to me can do no wrong

I hope we keep him for a long

Time to stay here and play

He is just great I have to say

GO HAMMER GO :P :P

That's why I said alleged, but the possibility is still there, and I think it's fair to say that at the very least, Hamrlik spent time outside the rink with the Kostitsyn brothers, one of whom was unpopular with management and the other who has had his share of issues with work ethic too. All I'm saying is that the perception of Hamrlik is that he is not a traditional leader-type, and one of the reasons is that he is a European player who doesn't give many interviews and doesn't appear to be very vocal in the room. When other players talk about the leaders in the dressing room, his name rarely comes up. To a lesser extent, I think that's also why the team chose Gionta as captain over a guy like Markov, who shuts his mouth and does his job but doesn't speak up as much and doesn't have the same ease with the media (a big part of the job in Montreal).

I completely agree with you that several of the players who do get to don the A are not ideal either, namely Gomez and Cammalleri. But for me, Gio, Gorges, Markov, Gill, and Pleks are all ahead of him on the leadership chart, and I'd also consider Darche to be up there with Hamrlik as another candidate. In any case, I think the debate is a bit moot, since JM clearly has his favorites and isn't going to deviate from them in his selections.

You know what? I'll stop because you claim to have used "alleged" in your post(s) and you didn't at all. And you hold it against Hamrlik because he spent time with the Kostitsyn's off of the ice. That's just stupid. You keep backtracking and can't admit your post was wrong to begin with and can't even acknowledge that Hamrlik has worn the "A". LOL

Hamrlik has offered his side of the story and explained. It can still be found on the internet but I'm not gonna dig it out for you because you clearly have a better understanding of what happened anyway. You are exactly one those fans I speak of (maybe that's the wrong term) that still hold that incident against him.

So let's throw the ball in the court of your so called leaders. It would appear to me they have some work to do instead of "talking". Hamrlik scored the goal that broke the drought. Hamrlik disagreed with Cammalleri about the team's effort in Carolina. When are these other guys gonna step up and do something constructive instead of talking to the media?

You know what? I'll stop because you claim to have used "alleged" in your post(s) and you didn't at all. And you hold it against Hamrlik because he spent time with the Kostitsyn's off of the ice. That's just stupid. You keep backtracking and can't admit your post was wrong to begin with and can't even acknowledge that Hamrlik has worn the "A". LOL

Hamrlik has offered his side of the story and explained. It can still be found on the internet but I'm not gonna dig it out for you because you clearly have a better understanding of what happened anyway. You are exactly one those fans I speak of (maybe that's the wrong term) that still hold that incident against him.

So let's throw the ball in the court of your so called leaders. It would appear to me they have some work to do instead of "talking". Hamrlik scored the goal that broke the drought. Hamrlik disagreed with Cammalleri about the team's effort in Carolina. When are these other guys gonna step up and do something constructive instead of talking to the media?

Not that we should dredge this back up, but the article about the Kos bros and their shady friend, had nothing to do with Hammer. All it said was that the man they were known to hang with, also had ties to Hammer in the past... That does not mean that all 4 hung out.

In fact, it was well documented that Kovy hung around the young Kos bros until (he felt) they were out of control. He tried to be their mentor and not all captains are vocal guys, some are quiet and only speak up when needed.

1. Took a look back and you're correct, I didn't use the word "alleged," I used the word "rumors," which essentially means the same thing. I never said anything was confirmed, just that they were reported as such. I don't know how that's back-tracking, I maintain that although I have no idea what goes on in the room or outside the rink, that it's possible this played a factor in Hamrlik not being selected.

2. I never said Hamrlik was not an alternate captain in Edmonton. It's time for you to take a look back and tell me where I said that. I don't see what that has to do with him being more deserving than other players in our room here. Different team, different stage of his career, different coach and locker room dynamic. Sheldon Souray also wore the A for a brief period of time in Edmonton a couple of seasons ago, does that mean he should have been an A on all the other teams he played for as well? No. That doesn't make any sense. I don't think Hamrlik is a terrible candidate and I like the guy and what he brings, all I was doing is giving you reasons as to why he may not have been chosen and as I said, for me, he's somewhere maybe 6th or 7th down the pecking order. For me those reasons include the language/cultural barrier, his lack of a strong relationship with the media, and yes, the possibility of what image he projects off the ice not being what the Habs want as the face of their organization. Right or wrong, it's possible that this played a role in who JM chose. If the players had selected the captains, maybe we'd see who they themselves really feel are their leaders, but they didn't, so all we can do is speculate.

3. When I discussed other players, I fully agreed that neither Cammalleri nor Gomez has shown they should be alternates and I agreed that Hamrlik should be ahead of them in the order. So once again, take a look back because you're putting words in my mouth. I feel like you think I have a vendetta against Hamrlik, but I don't see why I need to feel he should be ahead of some of the other players in the line-up. I also feel Gionta needs to do a better job as captain, but he did a phenomenal job of scoring big goals last season and he still comes to play every night. Plekanec is our best and most consistent player. Markov is one of our longest-serving players. Gill has been very vocal and done a great job of mentoring some of the younger players. Darche is as hard-working as they come. All I'm saying is that in my opinion, these guys are ahead of Hamrlik in who I would select and you are completely welcome to argue for Hamrlik, but while I do see him ahead of Gomez and Cammy, I don't see him as one of the top 3.

4. You talked about Hamrlik breaking his stick and swearing as being signs he should be an A. Yes, they are signs he cares. Yes, I want a captain who cares. But Gomez swears all the time and gets into it with opponents but neither one of us sees him as being true A or C material. Last year, Price lost his cool all the time and showed frustration with our level of play. Gill and Subban have shown high levels of emotional intensity this year too. But as a captain, you also need to be able to show restraint and keep the guys on the team focused on the goal. It's a mixture of intensity and focus that make a good on-ice leader. Hamrlik has some of these virtues, but to say he's a top 3 candidate (Which is what you're doing) doesn't give enough credit to some of the other guys on the team.

To BigTed3..............(didn't feel like quoting the whole thing)

I'm not debating that Hamrlik should have an "A" instead of some other players. Your bringing up that incident is what I find irritating. Go back and read your original post. You give that alleged incident as the only reason you think Hamrlik hasn't worn an "A", and once again I'll mention, despite the fact he did wear an "A" for a period of time last year while a member of the Montreal Canadiens.

You should have started with your last post as the reasons from your POV. Furthermore you used "acquaintances" when there was only one which made it sound worse than it was. Leaving the "alleged" incident completely off of the table is what you should have done IMHO.

And there is a transcript of Hamrlik's thoughts. If you want to give him the benefit of the doubt you may try reading it.

To BigTed3..............(didn't feel like quoting the whole thing)

I'm not debating that Hamrlik should have an "A" instead of some other players. Your bringing up that incident is what I find irritating. Go back and read your original post. You give that alleged incident as the only reason you think Hamrlik hasn't worn an "A", and once again I'll mention, despite the fact he did wear an "A" for a period of time last year while a member of the Montreal Canadiens.

You should have started with your last post as the reasons from your POV. Furthermore you used "acquaintances" when there was only one which made it sound worse than it was. Leaving the "alleged" incident completely off of the table is what you should have done IMHO.

And there is a transcript of Hamrlik's thoughts. If you want to give him the benefit of the doubt you may try reading it.

Again, I have nothing against Hamrlik. I don't hold that particular incident against him, but as I have said multiple times, I think it certainly could have played a factor in JM's decision-making. You know as little as I do about what really happened though, so I don't know how you can assume it DIDN'T play a role while I am ascertaining that it could have. I will leave it as that.

Again, I have nothing against Hamrlik. I don't hold that particular incident against him, but as I have said multiple times, I think it certainly could have played a factor in JM's decision-making. You know as little as I do about what really happened though, so I don't know how you can assume it DIDN'T play a role while I am ascertaining that it could have. I will leave it as that.

Boy.......you just don't get it do you? HAMRLIK HAS WORN THE "A" SINCE THAT INCIDENT. Therefore using that alleged incident as to why he doesn't wear an "A" now seems like a moot point.

Disappointed that the powers to be here didn't delete your original post. It's an alleged off ice incident that has no business being on this board. Furthermore you took the liberty to embellish it by using the word "acquaintances". Then you exasperate it more by implying anyone having dinner with the Kostitsyn's must be a shady character which is ridiculous in itself.

Boy.......you just don't get it do you? HAMRLIK HAS WORN THE "A" SINCE THAT INCIDENT. Therefore using that alleged incident as to why he doesn't wear an "A" now seems like a moot point.

Disappointed that the powers to be here didn't delete your original post. It's an alleged off ice incident that has no business being on this board. Furthermore you took the liberty to embellish it by using the word "acquaintances". Then you exasperate it more by implying anyone having dinner with the Kostitsyn's must be a shady character which is ridiculous in itself.

You're right, I don't get it. I have no idea why you're so defensive about Roman Hamrlik. What exactly is wrong with MENTIONING that incident/report? I never said Hamrlik is a criminal. I never said he did anything illegal. I never said he's guilty of anything. All I did was mention that that story existed and that it may be one factor. At least I'm relaying information that was factual (i.e. saying that report exists, which it did). I'm not the one who wrote that story and I don't see what is so wrong with discussing it. I never claimed to know whether the story is true, in the way you are so vehemently denying it as if you know it's not, and I would appreciate it if you stop misquoting me, because not once did I say that anyone having dinner with the K brothers is shady. These are your own assumptions, that are frankly getting a bit ridiculous. To summarize where I stand in my OWN words (and these you can quote me on):

- Hamrlik is a good player

- I appreciate what he brings to the team

- I have no issue saying he brings some leadership qualities to the table

- He may have been an A as an injury replacement here before, but I don't think this changes who should be the C and A's NOW. All I'm saying is that with the current make-up of the team, he is not one of the top candidates in my opinion.

You're right, I don't get it. I have no idea why you're so defensive about Roman Hamrlik. What exactly is wrong with MENTIONING that incident/report? I never said Hamrlik is a criminal. I never said he did anything illegal. I never said he's guilty of anything. All I did was mention that that story existed and that it may be one factor. At least I'm relaying information that was factual (i.e. saying that report exists, which it did). I'm not the one who wrote that story and I don't see what is so wrong with discussing it. I never claimed to know whether the story is true, in the way you are so vehemently denying it as if you know it's not, and I would appreciate it if you stop misquoting me, because not once did I say that anyone having dinner with the K brothers is shady. These are your own assumptions, that are frankly getting a bit ridiculous. To summarize where I stand in my OWN words (and these you can quote me on):

- Hamrlik is a good player

- I appreciate what he brings to the team

- I have no issue saying he brings some leadership qualities to the table

- He may have been an A as an injury replacement here before, but I don't think this changes who should be the C and A's NOW. All I'm saying is that with the current make-up of the team, he is not one of the top candidates in my opinion.

Points we agree on bolded...........I guess that's not much we agree on then. The italicized is what I have taken issue with from the beginning. Your original post implies the "incident" is the only reason, not just "one" reason. Only after I questioned you the first couple of times did you start to add reasons. You honestly don't seem to get that.

I'm defensive for the reasoning in general about any player who's character is attacked through the Montreal media. But through this little exercise I've learned why they do it - because they have an audience in people like yourself.

I didn't misquote you at all. If you read that sentence you'll see the word "implying". That's my interpretation of what you wrote. If you can interpret to your own liking what the Montreal media writes then I sure as heck can interpret what you write as I wish. Now you know how it feels to be misinterpreted or having "rumors" or "alleged" incidences surrounding you.

Why do I side with this player? Because in my own life experience I can relate to the situation. That's why. And no doubt you embellished the original version with the word "acqauintances", something you have avoided admitting. I consider you as irresponsible as the media itself. Did you even take the time to read Hamrlik's transcript from his POV? No.......the media is much more reliable, certainly not the person who had the actual experience.

I don't know if you remember the whirlwind of rumors surrounding the team at that particular time or not but there was a whole other slew of players that had rumors surrounding them. IMHO it was the Euros, who you so aptly have mentioned, that took the fall. So for people like yourself you can continue with the rumor mongering "because it was reported" while any well known rumor posted in another player's thread will be deleted in a split second. Yes..............that annoys me.

Your original post should not have been allowed to stand. That whole "story" as you call it was never even reported on this web site. You read it elsewhere and fell for it hook, line and sinker. Congrats........

Edited by wheresthepuck

It's getting a bit too close to personal attacks in here. Please tone it down.

Hammer had a very solid game last night. Won every puck battle he went into.

Hammer had a very solid game last night. Won every puck battle he went into.

For his age I think Hammer is fantastic he works very hard and he skates pretty fast,I wouldn't mind him staying until he retires,he loves this team and the city,when you looked at some of the older guys in the league and how they play,I love to see them and they still do a lot for their teams,I think Hammer could be one of those,he is certainly fit and he is a nice guy

GO HAMMER GO :D :D

For his age I think Hammer is fantastic he works very hard and he skates pretty fast,I wouldn't mind him staying until he retires,he loves this team and the city,when you looked at some of the older guys in the league and how they play,I love to see them and they still do a lot for their teams,I think Hammer could be one of those,he is certainly fit and he is a nice guy

GO HAMMER GO :D :D

Yep, same opinion here. I believe Hammer mentioned that he's seeing himself play 2 more seasons in the NHL. Those could very well be to seasons with the Habs, in an experienced support role :)

Yep, same opinion here. I believe Hammer mentioned that he's seeing himself play 2 more seasons in the NHL. Those could very well be to seasons with the Habs, in an experienced support role :)

Ya I wanna keep him,Marky and Subby(he has a long way to go ;) ) till they retire.

Ya I wanna keep him,Marky and Subby(he has a long way to go ;) ) till they retire.

I'd like to see Markov, Subban, Hamrlik, Gorges, and Wisniewski all given consideration for returning. However, I don't want to go into next year with these 5 and Spacek as the 6 core guys, so to retain the first 5 means to me finding a way to move Spacek out first. If we can, then complementing those 5 with a solid shutdown right-handed D man would give us a very decent starting 6, and we could easily fill in the 7th spot with a guy like Weber. It might project into something like this:

Markov- shutdown RH D

Hamrlik-Subban

Gorges-Wisniewski

Weber

being a 6th defenseman on the team playing 14-15mins a night id have no problem with him staying around another 2 years,

Hamrlik gets no respect. :lol: His drought breaking goal doesn't even get a "Play of the Week" nomination from his own team. :lol:

That goal was vintage Hamrlik from start to finish - from the D zone to the O zone. It's not like a lot of determination was needed or it was an important goal or anything. :o

Price deserves recognition and so does Darche. A shot from the point - meh! :rolleyes:

A case where marketing completely overshadows common sense, I guess.

Would love to have Hammer back next season at the right price, he's been a rock this year despite being woefully overused and overextended due to our rash of injuries.

Congratulations on your award Hammer,about time some one realised what you do for this team,couldn't have gone to anyone better.

GO HAMMER GO :lol: :lol:

Earned respect from the media, and it was earned - congrats, Hammer.

And in true Hamrlik fashion quickly deflects credit. Some teammates, including some guys wearing the "A" should take notes.

Hamrlik wins the award for the unsung hero. I think it's completely deserved. Everyone loves to sing the praises of Subban and Wisniewski, but the bottom line is that when push comes to shove, Hamrlik is the best man to have on the ice.

Next year, hopefully we can move Spacek, resign Hamrlik, Wisniewski, Markov, Gorges (or Gill) and sign a legit top pairing guy as a UFA, and Weber can be pencilled in as the #7 guy.

Markov-#2 Defenseman

Hamrlik-Subban

Gill/Gorges-Wisniewski

Weber

As far as the third pairing goes, I think we could sign any one of Gill, Gorges, or Mara and really end up with the same impact to the team. Gorges is the best of the three, but if he wants too much money then we'd be better off just signing Gill or Mara for <$1M. I'd actually like to see Mara return over Gill (Gorges over either), he adds a good element of physicality and toughness. I think this would be an ideal top 6, and provide Subban with a perfect D partner to grow and blossom with, as well as playing with a world class offensive D-man in either Wisniewski or Markov on the PP.