Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fourtrax

Roman Hamrlik

652 posts in this topic

Well it didn't seem Hammer got any sort of rest last game. For the life of me I cannot figure out why, since he's GOT to be tired/in need of rest/rehab days.

Any word on whether he'll play tonight, or if Martin will at least limit him to less minutes?

I'm guessing it's because the roster is rather thin. There are some forwards missing too. Pacioretty of course and then Halpern and Moen are injured. On D it's the obvious who are injured in Markov and Gorges. Spacek is just coming back. Sopel I'd speculate is playing injured. Picard is injured. Gill took a therapy day yesterday and is rumored to be given a night off tonight. Weber was pressed into forward duty.

The roster is thin.

Happy Birthday Roman 37 years young today and still our mainman on defence.Good Luck against the Bruins,bring it Hammer show them why you were #1 overall when Tampa picked you.

Shudder to think where we'd be without him. Let's hope the old Czech still has some gas in the tank for a deep playoff run! :)

A rock!

Very solid game by Hammer bar the penalty in the first. Nice to see his minutes managed too, Subban and him are going to have to carry alot of minutes for us.

A rock!

Very solid game by Hammer bar the penalty in the first. Nice to see his minutes managed too, Subban and him are going to have to carry alot of minutes for us.

Shudder to think where we'd be without him. Let's hope the old Czech still has some gas in the tank for a deep playoff run! :)

Played under twenty minutes last night. That's a good sign that he might be able to get himself through round one. :lol:

Played under twenty minutes last night. That's a good sign that he might be able to get himself through round one. :lol:

that'a also a good sign that the others did their job :)

Bingo. Looked good overall. Its nice to see the defense as a group look fairly solid. We're not spectacular back there but its not like last year when I held my breath every time MAB was on the ice.

It's a promising sign, no doubt, when we don't have to use Roman Hamrlik as a crutch. In fact, he wasn't even in the top three in ice-time for defensemen, which is huge. Very insane to note that PK has 27 minutes of ice-time last night - wow.

It's a promising sign, no doubt, when we don't have to use Roman Hamrlik as a crutch. In fact, he wasn't even in the top three in ice-time for defensemen, which is huge. Very insane to note that PK has 27 minutes of ice-time last night - wow.

Well the fact is that the Bruins' 2nd and 3rd lines, while each capable of scoring, are not made up of superstars, nor are they overwhelmingly physical the way their first line is. So each of our bottom two pairings of D men could in theory play against them. As long as PK and Gill can handle the Lucic-Horton line, then it takes the big part of the load off the rest of the D corps. That said, we can't ask PK to play 27 minutes every night, even if it allows Hamrlik to play less time.

So far this playoff Roman is steady as she goes... less icetime now will only help as the playoffs continue IMO.

Good job at covering all that oxygen on the OT goal Hammer! Worst D man in this series!

Good job at covering all that oxygen on the OT goal Hammer! Worst D man in this series!

:blink:

It was him covering 2 guys. Good to see it's his fault though.

Seriously? We wouldn't have even made the playoffs if it weren't for Hamrlik.

Seriously? We wouldn't have even made the playoffs if it weren't for Hamrlik.

Agreed. For 2 seasons now we have had to basically ask Hamrlik to step up and play beyond what he was brought here for. Of course he is going to run out of gas eventually.

Since Day 1 Roman has been a rock for our defense core. Am I the only one who remembers the days of Craig Rivet and Sheldon Souray?

Complaining about Roman Hamrlik's playoff performance is kind of like the guy who buys a Honda Civic with 100 000 Km on it, drives it up to 300 000 Km then complains when it finally breaks down <_<

Yes, fans calling for Hamrlik's head are conveniently forgetting the work he has done. Hamrlik has carried the load the entire season, he was going to run out of gas eventually heading this broken D-crew.

I'd love to have him back at a lower cap-hit, he's reliable, sturdy, servicable in PP and PK and almost never injured.

I hope he's forced to sign with another team because with his luck - he'd sign for minimum wage. Then Markov, Gorges and Gill would all get injured. Hamrlik would anchor the D with Subban while the Habs sign some strays. They'd make the playoffs. Hamrlik would score the winning goal in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals and some of the fanbase would still crap all over him because he got speared in the throat on another play and the other team scored. That's how it would go.

He must have a very good support system and thick skin to even want to stay despite the hatred he's gotten year after year. Kudos to the few fans over the years that have dared to post something nice about him.

The only time he was of "bad value" was the 2009 playoffs when the whole team was playing like crap and he had a broken foot. Nothing but praise for this guy from me.

IMO... The ideal situation for the Habs would be to re-sign Hamrlik at a rate of a third-pairing d-man and play him that way... always with the option to move him up to the second pairing in the case of an injury. He can still contribute the the Habs d-corp in a more limited way.

Re-sign him for two years at $2.8 million per.

That would be reasonable I think. If I had to choose between Hamrlik or Gill, it would be Hamrlik hands down.

Totally agree. Gill is best in box play, but Hammer is a better skater and passer and he can be used on the PP and PK.

This guy can still be the 4th in a good top 4, which is something neither Gill or Spacek are capable of so he's certainly the most appealing from that stand point but for some reason I just get the feeling the organization is going in the Gill direction.

Everyone talks about Gill being a great guy, myself included but Roman got a lot of credit in Calgary for helping Phaneuf come along the way Gill got credit for helping PK so it's like we're talking about Sean Avery here. He's big strong, has a bit of an edge, decent skater, smart defensively and he can move the puck and play on a 2nd PP unit, instead of having to play the kind of minutes he did this year, 17-19 all year consistently would do his body good and keep him fresh, not to mention he'd have less grueling match ups to contend with.

This guy can still be the 4th in a good top 4, which is something neither Gill or Spacek are capable of so he's certainly the most appealing from that stand point but for some reason I just get the feeling the organization is going in the Gill direction.

Everyone talks about Gill being a great guy, myself included but Roman got a lot of credit in Calgary for helping Phaneuf come along the way Gill got credit for helping PK so it's like we're talking about Sean Avery here. He's big strong, has a bit of an edge, decent skater, smart defensively and he can move the puck and play on a 2nd PP unit, instead of having to play the kind of minutes he did this year, 17-19 all year consistently would do his body good and keep him fresh, not to mention he'd have less grueling match ups to contend with.

You know why the org is moving in a Gill direction? Because Hal Gill is an American whose first language is English, while Roman is a Czech.

I hate to say it, but the culture of this team is moving in the direction of North American players. European players, unless they're exceptionally important like Plekanec, are not part of the clique. So a guy like Gill, who provides little value outside the PK, is a guy we 'absolutely' have to have back, while a workhorse like Hamrlik, who basically carried this blueline the past two years in Markov's extended absence, is going to have to beg for a contract in the offseason.

Nobody ever went broke overestimating hockey players' inability to transcend their own cultural and ethnic barriers.