Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fourtrax

Roman Hamrlik

652 posts in this topic

Agreed. Hammer as a #4 or #5 dman would be a great situation. That requires us having 3 or 4 defensmen better than him, who will get more ice time though. I dont want to resign him at $2m per year and them play him 20-25 minutes a night again.

That would be a heck of a bargain :lol: don't you think ;)

That would be a heck of a bargain :lol: don't you think ;)

I dunno.

Its tough to say what Roman could get on the open market. Term would be an issue too. My guess is a 1 year deal may get him $3.5m a 2 year deal may get him $3m per and longer than that would be between 2 and 2.5m per season. I know he played some great hockey last year but he is also 37 years old right now.

He's said he loves montreal & would like to stay so i dont see that taking a slight discount from what he might be able to get on the open market & signing here would be out of the question. I suspect he's looking for 2 years at something like $3m so its not impossible that Pierre would counter at $2.5m or less.

I dunno.

Its tough to say what Roman could get on the open market. Term would be an issue too. My guess is a 1 year deal may get him $3.5m a 2 year deal may get him $3m per and longer than that would be between 2 and 2.5m per season. I know he played some great hockey last year but he is also 37 years old right now.

He's said he loves montreal & would like to stay so i dont see that taking a slight discount from what he might be able to get on the open market & signing here would be out of the question. I suspect he's looking for 2 years at something like $3m so its not impossible that Pierre would counter at $2.5m or less.

Well you've arrived at 2.5 or less, but it doesn't really deny the fact that if he were to play 25 minutes a night at 2 million it would be a bargain.

Well you've arrived at 2.5 or less, but it doesn't really deny the fact that if he were to play 25 minutes a night at 2 million it would be a bargain.

He'd be a bargain at 20 minutes / game.

Ditto and bingo... if there would be better one I'd like to know who that could be. ;)

Agreed. I think that if you bring him back at $2.5 million, you should expect 16-18 minutes a game, with the occasional spike into the 20 range as an injury fill-in. If you want 20+ quality minutes, you have to be prepared to pay. We've been overplaying lower-tier d-men for so long that maybe we've grown accustomed to guys playing 20+ minutes when they're not top-four material. Let's try to stop that trend going forward. ;)

I, honestly, can't see why Hamrlik would want to come back. Without a Cup in his career you would think he is interested in signing with a Cup contender. As much as I would love to have him back on a one or two year term, I think Roman may end up elsewhere, and it may be the best for Montreal and for Roman. I really don't see Montreal competing for the Stanley Cup anytime before we can dump our $7 million man, Scott Gomez, so... Perhaps it's in Roman's best interest to see what other offers are out there.

Edited by jennifer_rocket

I, honestly, can't see why Hamrlik would want to come back. Without a Cup in his career you would think he is interested in signing with a Cup contender. As much as I would love to have him back on a one or two year term, I think Roman may end up elsewhere, and it may be the best for Montreal and for Roman. I really don't see Montreal competing for the Stanley Cup anytime before we can dump our $7 million man, Scott Gomez, so... Perhaps it's in Roman's best interest to see what other offers are out there.

Good point. Could be a contender, better offer or Habs loyalty... in that order.

Because he's a glutton for punishment.

Hammer does not want to go anywhere he has made this quite plain and has said publicly that he will take a pay cut to stay here.He loves this team as much as any other player,has put his heart soul and body into this team and wants to retire from the HABS,he has said he doesn't care about a ring the pleasure he get from being with the HABS is enough and he still such a good player why would anybody want to let him go.

GO HAMMER GO :lol: :lol:

Agree with Maddie.

What he says about this is that at his age, he's tired to move. He likes it here, the team and the city, and made a lot of friends. He sees himself playing in the NHL for 2 more years and he's not too keen on starting over somewhere else.

What he says about this is that at his age, he's tired to move. He likes it here, the team and the city, and made a lot of friends. He sees himself playing in the NHL for 2 more years and he's not too keen on starting over somewhere else.

Does Roman have a family? If so, I'd imagine not wanting to uproot his family would also factor into his decision.

Does Roman have a family? If so, I'd imagine not wanting to uproot his family would also factor into his decision.

Kid lives with the mother in Czech Rep. so that's not an issue.

PURE SPECULATION..............

My take is Hamrlik came to Montreal during a not so good time personally. I surmise he has a daughter back in the Czech Republic and I base that on a translation of an interview after the media fiasco. He seemed genuinely concerned about his family after that bad publicity which is partly why I became more of a fan of Hammer's. I gravitate to the underdog and to those who I feel have been wronged.

I suspect he's found a comfort zone in Montreal despite the hate he's gotten from some of the fanbase and I truly think some of that hate comes from the media fiasco and / or his contract and/or his nationality. The hate for Hamrlik will now be transferred to Scott Gomez in full force. Look out Scott because Hammer at least put the team on his back and carried them while you've been floundering. Fans have to direct their natural hate somewhere and you are the likely candidate. Good luck with that.

Montreal has a European flair and I sense Hamrlik's forged some valuable friendships since being a part of the Habs' organization, again based on his interviews. I think he's been truly proud to be a Hab - as proud as a guy from the Czech Republic can possibly be. I think there are sentimental feelings too because he was drafted in Montreal. He started in Montreal in a way and I sense it would mean a lot to him to end his career in Montreal too.

Having said that I will be disappointed if the Habs don't give him that opportunity because I think he's been a very "loyal employee". His effort cannot be denied under, IMO, a lot of duress circumstances including the media fiasco and the numerous injuries to the Habs' D, not only in the last two years but going back further beginning with Komisarek's injury in 2008 - 2009. Since then it's been a tiresome string of injuries on the D and Hamrlik has taken a lot of criticism during that period.

Hamrlik has had the opportunity, in four years, to play with Markov in a full playoff run for one year. He has missed only sixteen games in four full seasons including playoffs. His point production has mirrored what he did prior to coming to Montreal. He has been in the top five of the NHL for blocked shots in three of those years which makes his games missed even more remarkable considering some of those games were missed because of illness. Through all of that he has been a plus player overall. He was top ten amongst NHL d-men in ES point during the 2008 - 2009 season.

However Josh Gorges nominated Hal Gill for this year's election and created a mob mentality against Hamrlik. Congrats, Josh. I guess we'll find out if management feels the same way as a player who wasn't even on the ice for half a season and through the playoffs. When Gorges endorsed Gill he essentially threw Hamrlik, Wiz, Sopel and Mara under the bus. What a great teammate. Hamrlik, anytime that the media tried to give him credit, deflected it to his teammates. That's a sign of a leader.

Habs Inside/Out thinks the signing of Yemelin would adversely affect Hamrlik's status, meaning Hamrlik would be gone. Does anyone agree with this assessment?

Habs Inside/Out thinks the signing of Yemelin would adversely affect Hamrlik's status, meaning Hamrlik would be gone. Does anyone agree with this assessment?

The signing is not a given, but ultimately PG is still revamping this team to his mold. Does that mean new blood for next season? Could be, if it does, that regardless of who PG signs even if it is not Yemelin, Roman may not be in the plans.

As may be the case with others when contracts expire. Hal Gill may be in the same boat for next season and Spacek the season after.

It could be dependent on what can be had on the UFA market as well.

So in short... NO, a number of things will factor into the equation.

Edited by Habs_Hockey_Nutz

The signing is not a given, but ultimately PG is still revamping this team to his mold. Does that mean new blood for next season? Could be, if it does, that regardless of who PG signs even if it is not Yemelin, Roman may not be in the plans.

As may be the case with others when contracts expire. Hal Gill may be in the same boat for next season and Spacek the season after.

It could be dependent on what can be had on the UFA market as well.

So in short... NO, a number of things will factor into the equation.

Hamrlik certainly can't continue playing the minutes he has grown accustomed to in the top four.His age has become a factor,he still can control the tempo of a game if needed.The optimum usefulness for him would be in a 5-6 pairing against opponents 3rd-4th lines playing 15 minutes a game and coaching the Habs younger defencemen.Hal Gill could be used in the same manner,giving the team veterans that are rested and much less likely to be injured.

Hamrlik certainly can't continue playing the minutes he has grown accustomed to in the top four.His age has become a factor,he still can control the tempo of a game if needed.The optimum usefulness for him would be in a 5-6 pairing against opponents 3rd-4th lines playing 15 minutes a game and coaching the Habs younger defencemen.Hal Gill could be used in the same manner,giving the team veterans that are rested and much less likely to be injured.

Agree with this.

He may not be the player that could once play the majority of the game, but he could be a dependable experienced d man. Who like the above poster said, could help with the younger players. Only argument I can think of for that though is that its a lot of money to pay for a coach! He really would need to justify another year with on-ice performance rather than off-ice.

Hamrlik was our best defenseman this season. Extremely consistent, worn out in the playoffs but that was bound to happen given the fact that he and Subban had to carry the defensive load for the entire second half of the season.

Give him a new contract, I'd take him back over Gill any day.

I really hope we see him back here,I think we owe it to him,for his work over the past 2 seasons

I really hope we see him back here,I think we owe it to him,for his work over the past 2 seasons

Hamrlik was paid $11,000,000 for his work the last 2 years. Really, the Habs don't owe him anything. Not trying to sound harsh but it's a fact. :)

Hamrlik was paid $11,000,000 for his work the last 2 years. Really, the Habs don't owe him anything. Not trying to sound harsh but it's a fact. :)

A debatable subject? Hamrlik has been loyal. He missed 16 games through his contract. You or I don't know what injuries/sickness/hardships he struggled through to play a role he wasn't employed to fill for more than half of his contract.

But let's go by your logic. When does Markov fork over the approximately 9 mil to the Habs' organization whereby he's been useless but paid his dough. Hey......he was able to fit in the Olympics though. As you say.........not to sound harsh. :)

Skillwise Markov is the superior player but contract wise Hamrlik has been by far more worth his contract than Markov has been his the last two years.

But the players that will be rewarded from Hamrlik's hard work are a Russian with superior skills who has missed two and half regular seasons and the the last three years' worth of playoffs; and two North Americans, one of which missed half a season himself and another that's slower than a slug; and neither has played the last two seasons without missing at least a month.

And BTW.........I'm North American.

Hamrlik will be rewarded with the opportunity of choosing another team despite the fact he'd really like to stay in Montreal.

And not to sound harsh.........but ask Markov if he can retrieve those draft picks traded in order to fill the void he's left the last couple of years......going by your logic.

I mean just think......instead of throwing all that money at the lowly Hamrlik it could have been thrown at Souray instead.

Yes Hammer was paid all that money and look what he did for us,Gomez has been paid far more and look what he did,Yes the pay is good the appreciation zero,all the money in the world can't buy what Hammer has given to this team,and they made millions off of Hammer,we would never have gotten to the playoffs in either season,if Hammer had not worked so damn hard,put his body on the line and everything else he did for us,anybody who thinks there is enough money to pay for a heart,soul or mind from a guy like Hammer is wrong,he gave all three because of the love he has for this team and city,and the pleasure he has given to the fans,(though you can't stop some people from complaining ) there is no price for that,I am sorry dollars and pennies don't cut it for me.I still say we owe the guy big time

A debatable subject? Hamrlik has been loyal. He missed 16 games through his contract. You or I don't know what injuries/sickness/hardships he struggled through to play a role he wasn't employed to fill for more than half of his contract.

But let's go by your logic. When does Markov fork over the approximately 9 mil to the Habs' organization whereby he's been useless but paid his dough. Hey......he was able to fit in the Olympics though. As you say.........not to sound harsh. :)

Skillwise Markov is the superior player but contract wise Hamrlik has been by far more worth his contract than Markov has been his the last two years.

But the players that will be rewarded from Hamrlik's hard work are a Russian with superior skills who has missed two and half regular seasons and the the last three years' worth of playoffs; and two North Americans, one of which missed half a season himself and another that's slower than a slug; and neither has played the last two seasons without missing at least a month.

And BTW.........I'm North American.

Hamrlik will be rewarded with the opportunity of choosing another team despite the fact he'd really like to stay in Montreal.

And not to sound harsh.........but ask Markov if he can retrieve those draft picks traded in order to fill the void he's left the last couple of years......going by your logic.

I mean just think......instead of throwing all that money at the lowly Hamrlik it could have been thrown at Souray instead.

Hamrlik's contract paid him $250,000 less than what Markov earned. I'd say that puts Hamrlik in the elite class and if I'm not mistaken he was in the top 16 salary wise of NHL defensemen, some of whom, although earning more, never came close to living up to their contracts. Hamrlik played like an elite defenseman and was paid accordingly. As for the loyalty question, for the Habs to show their loyalty to Hamrlik, how much will they have to offer him and for how many years? By the same token, for how long and for what amount is Hamrlik going to charge for his loyalty to the Habs? What do you think Hammer is worth? Loyalty took a big hit the year Gretzky was traded. Loyalty takes a hit each time the NHLPA negotiates a lower age for unrestricted free agency. Where is the loyalty for forth liners who can be replaced with cheaper players to do the same job. And as for Markov, I'm sure he is having the time of his life having to go through the rehabilitation process again and in private is having a good laugh over the draft picks he has cost the Habs to fill the void he left. Heck, I bet when he gets back he finds a way to hurt himself again to get the easy money. I guess we can BlameeverythingonMarkov.