Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fourtrax

Roman Hamrlik

652 posts in this topic

Averaged over the past 4 years, Hamrlik has been our number 1 dman. We went to the playoffs all 4 years with him, without him we would have had a few trips to the draft lottery. He can leave here with his head high, as he gave us full value on his contract. He gave us 312 games played, 119 points and went a +15 over that time frame while having the toughest defensive matchups on the team. He rocked at on the PK, on 5 on 5, and on the PP.

That's a pretty significant statement.

That's a pretty significant statement.

I think the past two seasons without Markov he was basically our defensive anchor. Hamrlik-Spacek was often our shutdown unit, for example.

Hard to see the Habs of 2009-2010 in particular making it past 12th place without Hamrlik.

I think the past two seasons without Markov he was basically our defensive anchor. Hamrlik-Spacek was often our shutdown unit, for example.

Hard to see the Habs of 2009-2010 in particular making it past 12th place without Hamrlik.

That would make him a 4 win player and that's very significant, not even factoring what we'd be able to do with his salary if he wasn't around (you have to figure at worst we'd be able to find a 2 win player).

Anyway, that's just 1 of the 4 years and you implied a couple which IMO is a major stretch.

That would make him a 4 win player and that's very significant, not even factoring what we'd be able to do with his salary if he wasn't around (you have to figure at worst we'd be able to find a 2 win player).

Anyway, that's just 1 of the 4 years and you implied a couple which IMO is a major stretch.

Obviously if we had traded for another player instead we might have done better. Maybe we could have sent a 1st rounder to Toronto for Kaberle. This year for example, Wisniewski was arguably an upgrade on Gorges, but that came at the cost of a draft pick, you don't want to do that very often, and sometimes these trades don't work out.

I don't see why he can't be a 4-win player, ours was a low scoring team dependent on good defense, so an excellent 2-way dman who anchors the defense and anchors the offense will have a large impact.

Edited by DA_Champion

Petr Svoboda (Hamrlik's agent) confirmed to La Presse yesterday that the Habs will make an offer to Hammer within the next few days.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/201106/22/01-4411541-le-canadien-fera-une-offre-a-hamrlik.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B20_en-manchette_677_section_POS1

Petr Svoboda (Hamrlik's agent) confirmed to La Presse yesterday that the Habs will make an offer to Hammer within the next few days.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/201106/22/01-4411541-le-canadien-fera-une-offre-a-hamrlik.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B20_en-manchette_677_section_POS1

Wow, good for Hammer! I certainly didn't expect PG to extend an offer to his agent after signing Gill but that's probably the reason why I'm not the GM :P

If they can get the details worked out, this would leave us with:

??? - Hamrlik

Gill - Subban

Spacek - Emelin

Diaz

I'd assume Weber and Gorges will both be offered contract extensions, meaning Diaz would start the season in Hamilton and Weber/Spacek would likely rotate in and out of the lineup as the 7th Dman. It all comes down to Markov or Wisniewski... and I guess we won't be going after any UFA dmen this year.

Woot!

I really hope he signs here. Assuming we sign Markov, we know Hamrlik can step up should the worst happen.

Interesting situation on the D for sure.

Interesting. I wasn't expecting that. I wonder if it's going to a one-year offer. It seems like Pierre isn't going to committ to a whole lot on D. Perhaps he sees an opportunity to improve the D core next summer.

Interesting. I wasn't expecting that. I wonder if it's going to a one-year offer. It seems like Pierre isn't going to committ to a whole lot on D. Perhaps he sees an opportunity to improve the D core next summer.

I think this, combined with additional overall flexibility (namely Gomez) and the fact there will be a new CBA next year.

Hammer is a guy who you can move pretty easily from one pairing to the next. You could start a guy like Georges on the top pair and see if he wears down, maybe give Yemelin a shot at some point, always knowing you have a steady vet in Hammer who can step up if it doesn't work out.

I think this, combined with additional overall flexibility (namely Gomez) and the fact there will be a new CBA next year.

Hammer is a guy who you can move pretty easily from one pairing to the next. You could start a guy like Georges on the top pair and see if he wears down, maybe give Yemelin a shot at some point, always knowing you have a steady vet in Hammer who can step up if it doesn't work out.

Agreed, as much as I dont love 1 year deals, I think they make perfect sense for a guy like Hamrlik, especially with the new CBA next year.

Hopefully the deal is fair & Hamrlik (and his agent) go for it. It certainly like him back at the right price.

I would be surprised if the deal is more then 1 year. I would also be surprised if the cap hit is over $3 million. A nice $2.5 million savings from last year. Our team would get a solid top 4 D who hopefully can drop into the 5 D spot most of the season assuming our D is finally healthy and playing up to expectations.

Gorges - Subban assuming RFA Gorges re-signs this summer

Markov - Emelin assuming Markov re-signs before July 1st

Hammer - Spacek although I would prefer Spacek to retire before July 1st so another player can fill the 6 D spot like Wiz or Gill

Gill, Weber, Daiz and Nash fighting for the 7th and 8th D spots. I would not be shocked if Weber is moved to the 4th line so he can play on the PP.

I really hope we get this done,Hammer has been so good for us,he shouldn't have to play anything like the minutes next season,so he will not get so tired by the end of the season,you know I don't understand how people think he is too old,there are not that many players in the NHL who could have done what he has,I think his stamina is amazing and he is not a bad skater at all,when he broke the goal drought he just took that puck and flew,I also remember another game where he stole the puck and flew down the ice Cammi went with him and scored a great goal off of Hammers pass,I think we will see a lot more of him when he doesn't carry so much of the team

GO HAMMER GO :lol: :lol:

The reason to sign Hamrlik for 2 years rather than 1 year is that it increases team stability and we could probably get a lower cap hit.

I think 4 million dollars would be the likely salary on a 1-year contract.

Hamrlik should not be signed. The money should be put towards Markov, Wiznewski, Gorges and the forwards.

Wiznewski is only 26 and we can all see what he is capable of. Add Wiz to probably Markov and Weber with Subban show a dangerous PP on the back end. Wisnewski is a solid 18 - 20 minutes per game as well.

Gorges is a plus player who is a minute eater and can contribute to the penalty kill.

A much younger and capable replacement for Hamrlik can be found through free agency in Pitkanen or Erhoff if possible. But even if they aren't signed the defence looks okay without Hamrlik. Besides, there are plenty of free agents able to provide depth like Babchuck and O'Brien

Markov - Gorges - Wisnewski - Subban - Gill

I'd love both the Wiz and Hamrlik back but the Gill deal has made that impossible, there's not roster space for both assuming Gorges, Markov and Weber get contracts.

No doubt we should re-sign Hammer in my mind though. He is a workhorse, consistent, good on 5-on-5, the PP, the PK, he is a true two-way defenseman who can handle big minutes when needed.

I have nothing against Hamrlik. I think the guy is still a good player and could help us greatly, particularly if he's taking a significant pay cut. BUT I don't think PG is seeing the big picture by trying to retain Markov, Hamrlik, Gill, Spacek, Gorges, and Emelin. Right there you have 6 left-handed defencemen, and other than Gorges, none has shown they can be effective playing the right side. This D needed an overhaul and it needed the signing of a key RIGHT-HANDED UFA. If Hamrlik is back, then Gill shouldn't have been signed or Spacek should have been released (and his cap hit eaten for the one year he has left). I like Hamrlik as a player, but the collection of D men we would have if he, Markov, and Gorges are all signed leaves us exactly where we were at the start of last year: with a group of defencemen who just do not complement each other.

I have nothing against Hamrlik. I think the guy is still a good player and could help us greatly, particularly if he's taking a significant pay cut. BUT I don't think PG is seeing the big picture by trying to retain Markov, Hamrlik, Gill, Spacek, Gorges, and Emelin. Right there you have 6 left-handed defencemen, and other than Gorges, none has shown they can be effective playing the right side. This D needed an overhaul and it needed the signing of a key RIGHT-HANDED UFA. If Hamrlik is back, then Gill shouldn't have been signed or Spacek should have been released (and his cap hit eaten for the one year he has left). I like Hamrlik as a player, but the collection of D men we would have if he, Markov, and Gorges are all signed leaves us exactly where we were at the start of last year: with a group of defencemen who just do not complement each other.

(I mentioned the six lefties too) ;) With the increase in the cap floor to 48 million there is still the possibility of a trade perhaps (Spacek anyone?). Some teams could be dangling their first rounders (Gorges, Markov... if he proves to be difficult to sign the way PG wants?)

Would a No. 1, 3 0r 8 be worth trading Gorges or Markov's rights?

Hamrlik is a great defenseman. He was able to play the top pairing for the past 2 seasons relatively well. He's been able to cover for his partner like he has done in the past. If we manage his minutes he is perfectly capable of playing on the second pairing in my opinion. If we can get him under 4 million I think it will be a good signing. We need a top 4 defenseman, but the options out there aren't that atractive, so if PG is waiting for next year to make his mark then I'm ok with this. He's perfectly capable of that role. If this next year is a stop gap (hate to say that) then it gives us a chance to see what Emelin and Diaz have.

With Brewer signing for 4 mil I can't see Hammer signing for less. Most of his numbers are equal to or much better than Brewers. I think it would be a huge disount for him to take less than that.

1 year at 4 mil should be the offer from Gauthier.

Gill imo is the new Brisebois. They are paying him to sit in the pressbox and suit up once in a while.

I like Hamrlik too and given how much he has helped this team out over the past 2 seasons it is hard to imagine him not in a habs uniform. I expect he will be offered a contract once PG has exhausted all avenues of picking up a defensmen through free agency.

Even though next years D is going to look pretty much the same as last years that might not be a bad thing. In the beginning of last season when we got off to a great start we were praised for our defensive play. It wasn't until our #1 and best defensive d men went down that our struggles began. A 1 year deal for Hamrlik at least gives us sone stability in case this happens again. A UFA d man would be nice but we already know exactly what we will get from Hammer, and we have someone who can step up if needed.

I would love to see Hammer back at a drastically reduced cost. He loves being a Hab & gives 100% every game. Yes he's getting older but I still think he has another year in the tank.

With Brewer signing for 4 mil I can't see Hammer signing for less. Most of his numbers are equal to or much better than Brewers. I think it would be a huge disount for him to take less than that.

1 year at 4 mil should be the offer from Gauthier.

Hamrlik is also about 5 years older than Brewer. As much as I like him, I don't see the need for yet another left-handed D man unless there is a plan in place to dump Spacek. To me, 4M is overkill. If we did have a way of making a roster spot for Hamrlik, my offer would be in the 2.8-3.2M range for one year.

Gill imo is the new Brisebois. They are paying him to sit in the pressbox and suit up once in a while.

I like Hamrlik too and given how much he has helped this team out over the past 2 seasons it is hard to imagine him not in a habs uniform. I expect he will be offered a contract once PG has exhausted all avenues of picking up a defensmen through free agency.

I disagree. Brisebois knew his role was to be a 7th defenceman when he was re-signed. His play had clearly deteriorated from his earlier years and he signed for peanuts. Gill has been as good a performer in the past 3 years as he has been his entire career, especially in the playoffs. And while that doesn't mean he's more than a 5th or 6th defenceman, it does mean that he provides value and you don't offer someone 2.2M to sit in the pressbox when there are loads of other vets here who could have been re-signed to actually play (Wis, Hamr, Mara, Sopel, etc.). The Habs signed Gill to play him and I have no doubt he'll be playing decent minutes either paired with Subban or Gorges.

I disagree. Brisebois knew his role was to be a 7th defenceman when he was re-signed. His play had clearly deteriorated from his earlier years and he signed for peanuts. Gill has been as good a performer in the past 3 years as he has been his entire career, especially in the playoffs. And while that doesn't mean he's more than a 5th or 6th defenceman, it does mean that he provides value and you don't offer someone 2.2M to sit in the pressbox when there are loads of other vets here who could have been re-signed to actually play (Wis, Hamr, Mara, Sopel, etc.). The Habs signed Gill to play him and I have no doubt he'll be playing decent minutes either paired with Subban or Gorges.

My thoughts exactly. I see Gill reunited with Gorges and playing big minutes on the penalty kill. That would mean that PK would be paired with Markov and that would be really fun to watch.

Just really hope it happens,where would we have been without him the last 2 years,nowhere, he took up the slack when Markov was injured and even more when Josh went down,he has done us proud and still seems to be able to play good minutes,I really like Hammer and he will only be good for us.Our patch up D the last two years was anchored by Hammer and we did not have bad seasons,the playoffs last year were tremendous not so good this year but that was lack of offense nothing to do with the D,so come on PG give the guy his dues.

GO HAMMER GO :lol: :lol: