Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fourtrax

Roman Hamrlik

652 posts in this topic

I'm hearing Roman may play with another young defensemen next year: Green.

Phaneuf, Wisniewski, and now Green.

He's been pretty important to a couple players the past few years hasn't he.

Yemelin is almost certainly the closest because of his age and experience playing professional hockey. How good he really is, well that's anyone's guess right now but smart people who've scouted/watched him have very good things to say.

As for not signing Roman, I still think 2 years for 7 is something I'm probably uncomfortable with.

You mentioned Yemelin as a candidate to fill Hamrlik's role. I wanted to ask about which draft picks from the June 24-25 Entry Draft could fill this role. Wasn't Yemelin a free agent signing?

Edited by CANADIENS27

You mentioned Yemelin as a candidate to fill Hamrlik's role. I wanted to ask about which draft picks from the June 24-25 Entry Draft could fill this role. Wasn't Yemelin a free agent signing?

No We drafted Yemelin a long time ago.

It sounds like Gauthier is gambling someone will develop enough to immediately take on Hamrlik's role.

I am more than just sorry to see him go,I really think we could have kept him for 2 years,I think I was one of his biggest fans ,he has been amazing for us the past years,so he made some mistakes who doesn't and when you play the minutes he was you get more opportunity to make mistakes but the things he did well far out weigh the mistakes he made.Hope you are happy with the Caps Hammer and I hope he gets an ovation when he comes home.

GO HAMMER GO :lol: :lol:

I think WSH's D will look like

Schultz-Green

Alzner-Carlson

Hammer-Poti

Erskine

Looks good to me. Hammer gives them good depth and a guy who can play anywhere in the line up. Gonna miss you Hammer. Good Luck!

Edited by BreakAwayGoal13

I was talking about this with my Dad recently. I just started out of nowhere, "You know, Dad, I'm really going to miss Hamrlik this season." Then I expanded and I just feel that we could have really used him this season. Having Markov back and being able to play him in a different way than in the past would have been beneficial. I'm just thinking about the defense and I just really would have liked to see him still in the lineup.

Edited by beaubie

I was talking about this with my Dad recently. I just started out of nowhere, "You know, Dad, I'm really going to miss Hamrlik this season." Then I expanded and I just feel that we could have really used him this season. Having Markov back and being able to play him in a different way than in the past would have been beneficial. I'm just thinking about the defense and I just really would have liked to see him still in the lineup.

I think he's the player I'll miss the most of all who left in the past couple of years but what can we do, he made his choice.

Ill miss him but I agree with Gauthier, he didnt want to accept a 1 year deal. We went with Gill first and blah blah blah we can argue that till the cows come home but heres the real dilemma: Gill, like every other defender asides from markov, is on a 1 year deal. PG is obviously looking to revamp our Defense this upcoming offseason. Hence why he only wanted to give out 1 year deals.

So hammer, you will be missed, but I think the choice was right.

Edited by hatethosebruins

Would loved to have hamr back, and at that cost. we have 5 million in space that we aren't going to use. He would have easily solidified our defense. I think at 1 year I would hvae taken him.

Would loved to have hamr back, and at that cost. we have 5 million in space that we aren't going to use. He would have easily solidified our defense. I think at 1 year I would hvae taken him.

Gauthier DID offer him one year, he refused and took 2 years for the same money with Washington

Gauthier DID offer him one year, he refused and took 2 years for the same money with Washington

at the same ammount?

at the same ammount?

that's what was reported when he signed. Gauthier wouldn't budge from 1 year and Hammer wouldn't from 2 years so that was that.

that's what was reported when he signed. Gauthier wouldn't budge from 1 year and Hammer wouldn't from 2 years so that was that.

ah that stinks

Do you have a link?

I "heard" Gauthier offered "just above" 3 mil for one year - based on an interview of Hamrlik. It wasn't just Hamrlik making a choice - it was Gauthier too who gave Hamrlik a very short period of time to make a decision. I don't blame Hamrlik for wandering off because for all he knew maybe Gauthier was gonna trade his buddy Spacek if Roman signed. There were clear vibes that Spacek was on the block. And Gauthier made it clear Hamrlik wasn't a priority either. Maybe Hamrlik had no interest of being a short term solution at the expense of his buddy - a speculative theory only based on the chain of events.

And according to McPhee, Hamrlik turned down a 3 year offer from elsewhere to sign with Washington. (I can provide a link to back that up.) Washington had a priority and they offered the player something he desired - Gauthier didn't. The Habs' GM was only interested in giving a long term contract to the D-man whose played the least amount of regular season and playoff games in the last 3 years. The best Gauthier could offer the player who has carried the team during that stint was one year.

I think he's the player I'll miss the most of all who left in the past couple of years but what can we do, he made his choice.

+1! I haven't felt this bad about losing a player since Koivu a few years ago (although inexplicably Glenny Metropolit probably comes close for me).

I can understand completely why Pierre didn't want to give Hamrlik a multi-year deal. I can understand completely why Hammer would want to sign a multi-year deal with another good team. So no hard feelings. But all that said, I sure wish that he was coming back.

+1! I haven't felt this bad about losing a player since Koivu a few years ago (although inexplicably Glenny Metropolit probably comes close for me).

I can understand completely why Pierre didn't want to give Hamrlik a multi-year deal. I can understand completely why Hammer would want to sign a multi-year deal with another good team. So no hard feelings. But all that said, I sure wish that he was coming back.

Ditto

i don't understand why we should miss my second to top ex-favorite player. behind markov of course. he was done for us. its just that simple. isn't it? :D

Very disappointed we just let him walk and were so quick to sign marginal players (Gill, Gorges) rather than Hamrlik who was our best defenseman the past two seasons (yes, he was better than Subban last year).

Our top 4 looks very weak without him...and god forbid Markov goes down again.

Very disappointed we just let him walk and were so quick to sign marginal players (Gill, Gorges) rather than Hamrlik who was our best defenseman the past two seasons (yes, he was better than Subban last year).

Not knowing all the details it's a bit harsh to say they just let him walk. We've relied on him so much over the last few years that he may have wanted more than we could possibly spend on another defenceman.

That being said, Gill brings some leadership qualities that I just don't think Hamrlik had. Much of PK's molding this year was because of Gill and he could use at least one more season with the big guy to mature a little more.

Not knowing all the details it's a bit harsh to say they just let him walk. We've relied on him so much over the last few years that he may have wanted more than we could possibly spend on another defenceman.

That being said, Gill brings some leadership qualities that I just don't think Hamrlik had. Much of PK's molding this year was because of Gill and he could use at least one more season with the big guy to mature a little more.

Agreed. The organization decided to have Gill to mentor PK/Gorges/the other youngin's we have coming this year. Hammer was a valuable player for us in the time we had him. But we simply did not have room to keep him, if Spacek's contract was up things would be different, but they aren't. We can argue Hammer/Gill until the cows come home but it won't make a difference, Gill is here and Hammer isn't. I may not be ecstatic about it but Im willing to accept that Hamrliks time in Montreal has ended.

Exactly. It was a risky play by Washington. One that probably didnt make sense for us. Im sad to see him go but I applaud Gauthier for not panicking and signing a contract he'd later regret.

I think you can say that about any team - god forbid _________ (#1 dman) goes down.

Im not sure Id say our top 4 looks "weak" without hammer. It definitely would look stronger with him, but not many teams can boast a Markov and a Subban back there. They are both top quality talent. I still have a gut feeling Gauthier will have another top 4 damn in the lineup before October, whether it be a signing (hannan) or a trade.

Im not sure Id say our top 4 looks "weak" without hammer. It definitely would look stronger with him, but not many teams can boast a Markov and a Subban back there. They are both top quality talent. I still have a gut feeling Gauthier will have another top 4 damn in the lineup before October, whether it be a signing (hannan) or a trade.

By weak I mean it's not really a top 4, but a top 2. Markov and Subban are fantastic players, and would be a top 4 defensman on virtually any team in the league. The issue for me, is that after those 2, it's slim pickings. If Yemelin can elevate, it won't be so bad, but if he can't, Gill, Gorges, and Spacek aren't really top 4 D. But I agree with you, I have a feeling there will be a move made of some sort and we'll have another D-man.

Edited by Noob616