Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fourtrax

Roman Hamrlik

652 posts in this topic

I've looked at the list of UFAs for next year, and I'm not certain a big name will be coming here. Chara will stay in Boston, and if he leaves, it won't be to come here. Kaberle is an option, but who knows if he would consider Montreal, and with Markov (assuming he stays) and Subban already here, he wouldn't likely get first-team PP minutes. I believe the Habs will be inclined to keep at least one of Gorges, Hamrlik, or Gill, and of those, I think Gill is the easiest to replace with another big body like Henry, OB, etc... the question becomes what we would be willing to pay for each of Gorges and Hamrlik. I would like to see them go after a legitimate number two defenceman, but I don't know how much luck we will have and I think this would mean we clearly don't have enough money to keep both Gorges and Hamr. If it were my decision, I would be looking at keeping Gorges for under 1.8. As for Hamr, if there are no other options, I would be okay with a one- or two-year deal at under 2.2.

well chara is a ufa and we have free money so why wouldnt he come here? let gill walk let hammer walk let markov walk and sign chara pair im with pk and then replace the rest with our younger guys... then we have size and offesne and a good pk and pp player sooo i mean if we had this d line itd be sick

subban chara

georges carle

o bynre spacek

well chara is a ufa and we have free money so why wouldnt he come here? let gill walk let hammer walk let markov walk and sign chara pair im with pk and then replace the rest with our younger guys... then we have size and offesne and a good pk and pp player sooo i mean if we had this d line itd be sick

subban chara

georges carle

o bynre spacek

we don't have as much free money as you think. We have enough to go out and get a number two defenceman, maybe around 4-5 million in salary. Chara's going to be asking for 7 million plus, which takes all of Hamr and Gill's salaries combined to cover. We would also then have to pay another defenceman to replace Gill and Gorges is an RFA and will want a raise, notwithstanding any changes up front (with guys like Laps and AK also RFAs). We have maybe 300k in spending room left this year, so I don't see that being enough to fit Chara in. I also don't see Chara leaving Boston, where he is well-liked and where the organization wants him to stay, to come to a place like Montreal, where he is booed and where he would be battling for the number one role with Markov and sharing PP time with Markov and Subban.

we don't have as much free money as you think. We have enough to go out and get a number two defenceman, maybe around 4-5 million in salary. Chara's going to be asking for 7 million plus, which takes all of Hamr and Gill's salaries combined to cover. We would also then have to pay another defenceman to replace Gill and Gorges is an RFA and will want a raise, notwithstanding any changes up front (with guys like Laps and AK also RFAs). We have maybe 300k in spending room left this year, so I don't see that being enough to fit Chara in. I also don't see Chara leaving Boston, where he is well-liked and where the organization wants him to stay, to come to a place like Montreal, where he is booed and where he would be battling for the number one role with Markov and sharing PP time with Markov and Subban.

This is the only argument needed imo.

-----------------

Anyhow, we haven't played a single game yet this season so I'm not really looking too far ahead in time. I hope that Roman will be a contributor to the teams success this year. Actually, I'm pretty sure he'll do more good than bad. Now lets hope he starts to play ASAP.

could i get a link that shows all the free agents this year anyways i wasnt betting on getting him just having a bit of a day dream is all but we should move agressively on a hard hitting d man with that plays some offense

Ottawa's Chris Phillips is probably the player I would be most interested in or Kaberle either would make a good #1 or2 dman.

Hammer out for tomorrow.

-HI/O

Hammer out for tomorrow.

-HI/O

Kind of makes sense though, cause even if he is "ready" there is no way he'd be GAME-SHAPE ready after missing so much of the training camp/preseason.

I much rather he sits tomorrow out instead of rushing back for playing the Leafs.

:P drop the puck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (even without Hammer and Cammy for game 1 )

Toronto and Burke are wringing their hands with the expectation of playing the Habs without their two best dmen and Cammalleri. Starting the season on a winning note is going to be hard unless the Habs come out with some urgency in their game. Hopefully Eller and PK Subban can make up for the guys that are sitting out the Toronto game.

Toronto and Burke are wringing their hands with the expectation of playing the Habs without their two best dmen and Cammalleri. Starting the season on a winning note is going to be hard unless the Habs come out with some urgency in their game. Hopefully Eller and PK Subban can make up for the guys that are sitting out the Toronto game.

If Hamrlik is one of our "two best dmen", then we are in for a disaster of a season.

We get to see the difference it makes to the Hab defence when Hamrlik gets back to game shape. I can't imagine where the Habs would have finished last season if Markov and Hamrlik had both been out for the first three months, Subban wasn't ready for primetime then either.

If Hamrlik is one of our "two best dmen", then we are in for a disaster of a season.

Well, he's been our second best defenseman for several years now and we haven't had a complete disaster of a season. But yes, your point that we need a new second best defenseman is definitely warranted. I hope that's something Pierre can fix in the summer of 2011.

The play of Hamrlik has done nothing to deserve derision of any kind, at least allow our players the chance to play before deciding that they are unable and cast them off as over the hill.

Well, he's been our second best defenseman for several years now.

"what have you done for me lately?" that should be the motto for the fans. Since most have that mind set ;)

Lets turn the clock back a few seasons. Before we had Hamrlik in the line up our defense looked something like this.

Markov- Komisarek

Rivet - Souray

Boulion - Dandenault

I don't miss getting up in the morning and seeing TSN'S hilight reel and watching Souray get deked out of his jockstrap by Jason Speeza. The minute we got Hamrlik our defense got alot better. Is Hamrlik getting older? of course, but he is still head and shoulders above Rivet & Souray.

I think there must be a chart somewhere that the fans are using to determine a players worth. The more money he makes the more points they expect

Less then 1 Million = 20 points

1-2 million = 35 points

2.1- 4.9 million = 50 points

5.0 - 7.0 Million = 79 points

7.1 - 9 million = 120 points

So ya maybe we should be harder on Hamrlik! i mean he is clearly not putting up 70 points a season. What else is a defenseman good for if they are not putting up points! ;)

The problem isn't Hamrlik per se but the fact that a 36-year-old Hamrlik at $5.5 million per is our second-best defenseman. Not Roman's fault we can't build a D corps properly or figure out how not to overpay.

Hamrlik will be an upgrade on O'Byrne or Picard, but it doesn't change the fact that our top-four is a mess.

The problem isn't Hamrlik per se but the fact that a 36-year-old Hamrlik at $5.5 million per is our second-best defenseman. Not Roman's fault we can't build a D corps properly or figure out how not to overpay.

Hamrlik will be an upgrade on O'Byrne or Picard, but it doesn't change the fact that our top-four is a mess.

meh, it could be alot worse than what we have.

Markov-Spacek

Hammer-Subban

then we have georges and gill. I like our D. A bit over payed,yes, of course you have to overpay guys to come to this city. A lil over the hill, maybe, i mean c'mon, 35 is not old, at 30 your in your prime, 35, not old. Lets get Makkov and Hammer back before we call it a mess.

Go Habs Go

"what have you done for me lately?" that should be the motto for the fans. Since most have that mind set ;)

Lets turn the clock back a few seasons. Before we had Hamrlik in the line up our defense looked something like this.

Markov- Komisarek

Rivet - Souray

Boulion - Dandenault

I don't miss getting up in the morning and seeing TSN'S hilight reel and watching Souray get deked out of his jockstrap by Jason Speeza. The minute we got Hamrlik our defense got alot better. Is Hamrlik getting older? of course, but he is still head and shoulders above Rivet & Souray.

I think there must be a chart somewhere that the fans are using to determine a players worth. The more money he makes the more points they expect

Less then 1 Million = 20 points

1-2 million = 35 points

2.1- 4.9 million = 50 points

5.0 - 7.0 Million = 79 points

7.1 - 9 million = 120 points

So ya maybe we should be harder on Hamrlik! i mean he is clearly not putting up 70 points a season. What else is a defenseman good for if they are not putting up points! ;)

:lol:

I like the chart and think it's pretty accurate. LOL I'll use it for future reference.

With Hamrlik it's "not even what have you done for me lately." By some it's just an all out hate for whatever reason. Maybe it's the perception that he's "extremely" overpaid. Maybe it's the after effects of the media drubbing and attack he took a couple of years ago. Maybe it's because of his country of origin. Maybe it's a combination of all of the above.

Rewind to game 4 vs. Pittsburgh. It was the old and slow guy who blocked Talbot's shot, then bowled him over and then got himself in a position to give Gionta an option to throw the puck in front. Result: game winning goal by Gionta. You'll be hard put to see another Montreal d-man have those smarts and physical ability wrapped up in one.

Rewind to game 6 vs. Pittsburgh. Subtle, ricochet pass sends the Habs away 3 on 2 for Cammalleri to score the game tying goal. Subtle breakup at the blueline sets up the Habs again for the game winning goal.

I've never seen a d-man achieve offensively and get relatively little credit for anything. Not much point in mentioning the third or fourth goal in game 7.

Yes...........it's been a complete total disaster seen he's been a Hab. The Habs' have made the playoffs each year, won the Eastern Conference and made the final 4. He's been a tremendous babysitter, has done his job offensively without anyone noticing, blocked a million shots. He's been in line with what he accomplished in the two prior years. And the Habs are more offensively challenged then the Flames were.

:lol:

I like the chart and think it's pretty accurate. LOL I'll use it for future reference.

With Hamrlik it's "not even what have you done for me lately." By some it's just an all out hate for whatever reason. Maybe it's the perception that he's "extremely" overpaid. Maybe it's the after effects of the media drubbing and attack he took a couple of years ago. Maybe it's because of his country of origin. Maybe it's a combination of all of the above.

Rewind to game 4 vs. Pittsburgh. It was the old and slow guy who blocked Talbot's shot, then bowled him over and then got himself in a position to give Gionta an option to throw the puck in front. Result: game winning goal by Gionta. You'll be hard put to see another Montreal d-man have those smarts and physical ability wrapped up in one.

Rewind to game 6 vs. Pittsburgh. Subtle, ricochet pass sends the Habs away 3 on 2 for Cammalleri to score the game tying goal. Subtle breakup at the blueline sets up the Habs again for the game winning goal.

I've never seen a d-man achieve offensively and get relatively little credit for anything. Not much point in mentioning the third or fourth goal in game 7.

Yes...........it's been a complete total disaster seen he's been a Hab. The Habs' have made the playoffs each year, won the Eastern Conference and made the final 4. He's been a tremendous babysitter, has done his job offensively without anyone noticing, blocked a million shots. He's been in line with what he accomplished in the two prior years. And the Habs are more offensively challenged then the Flames were.

Agreed the Hammer is the most versatile defenceman we have as you have so eloquently shown.The young dmen have a great teacher to play alongside and learn.

Contracts aside, i value Gorges-Gill more than Spacek-Hamrlik. Hamrlik might be a 2nd d-man on paper, but he falls short. Hell, i'll ignore his horrible contract for his sake, but i still value Gorges much more than Hamrlik. All he got over him is experience and a better shot.

The team will do be better when his contract runs out.

Edited by Nashtak