The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Maxim Lapierre

Nothing better than watch Lapierre make such an impact with only using his mouth to the opposition. :D

I really think Lapierre will break out this up coming season, with new centers and younger players, I think him being on the same line will help his numbers alot more than being on the same line with Latendresse last season.

By far, one of the most entertaining players to watch (When he's truly going that is).

Hopefully he has a long stay with Montreal, and that the only hold up getting this contract done is the time line. Although bottom-6'rs should never be payed oodles of money on long term deals I wouldn't be opposed to a 4-5 year deal at 1-1.5M/season. He may want a shorter deal in the hopes that he pops 20 goals one year and can cash in, but he's a great fit here and clearly loves to play infront of the home-town fans.

Realistically though, he needs to start coming into his own. He was a whole new player once centered by Moore, hopefully he can be relyed upon to be that go-to guy third liner from now on, who can produce the 'Moore-effect' on other younger players. He is at the age where he should be a banger, crasher, pest regardless of who is on his line. If he can do this, he will be a very valuable asset for quite sometime.

I am not so sure he is easily replaceable, he plays the wing, center, has fleeting moments of excellence, has good size, has really quick feet, has yet to reach his prime, and we just found out in the playoffs he can score the big goals. 1.333 per year, 3 year contract, 4 million. He is exactly the type of bargain player you need on the 3rd and 4th line.

I am not so sure he is easily replaceable, he plays the wing, center, has fleeting moments of excellence, has good size, has really quick feet, has yet to reach his prime, and we just found out in the playoffs he can score the big goals. 1.333 per year, 3 year contract, 4 million. He is exactly the type of bargain player you need on the 3rd and 4th line.

I think this is the difficulty in signing him. He knows what type of player he is and could plataeu at (an Ott/Avery/Niel/Ruutu type). These guys make atrocious pay-cheques for what they bring to the team (10-20G, and an edge). Without a doubt he and his agent are pushing this aspect that after the Ott's and Cooke's of the league he's the next best agitator and deserves to be paid as such.

A 1-1.5M / year for 3-5 years is optimal for the team, and we just have to hope that being the poster boy for home-town success stories is enough of an incentive to sell him on the paycut.

5 years? :lol: I am a big fan, but he will not get more than 2 years.

He needs to prove my brother (Pens fan) wrong (that he won't be in the NHL (2011-2012 season). Go Max!!

5 years is lmao

Pens fan? sorry about that...looks like he's already be proven wrong!

1.1 sounds like a good number to me. Call me crazy but I think if he calms down on his role of an annoyance and starts playing like he did in the playoffs, we have a very good player on our hands. Max is still young and has yet to reach his prime. Yet I really think this could be a make or break year for him, or at the very least the next two years could be make or break for Max. I think he's going to find his game.

I just really don't see the upside to anything more than a one year deal. Maxim is not a tradeable asset, IMO, so why even consider giving him a multi-year deal for what he brings to the team. Yes, he had a good post-season, but he also had a horrid regular season and I don't know which Maxim is going to show up next year. <_< I would offer him a one year deal valued at somewhere around $900K and see what happens. There are other physical 4th line forwards in our system who take $500K to play here when their entry level deals end, I am sure. Ryan White comes to mind.

I think it depends on which sample you are looking at. NHL capabable agitators go for a premium. Regardless of how willing we are to pay for that role, it is an expensive one now.

Look at the $'s comparables (Ott, Niel, Ruutu etc) earn. They are all in the 2-3M range. Cooke signed 'cheap' and I believe he was ~1.8M/yr.

You know that these are the comparables that Maxim's agent is bringing to the table, and he may not be that far off. He IS our Niel/Ott etc. Whether or not managment believes he is on the same level and as deserving as them is a seperate question. However, i can't see him sticking around with low-ball offers when he knows that some teams are willing to open the cheque books to sign similar 10-20G, agitator types to very lucrative contracts.

I think it depends on which sample you are looking at. NHL capabable agitators go for a premium. Regardless of how willing we are to pay for that role, it is an expensive one now.

Look at the $'s comparables (Ott, Niel, Ruutu etc) earn. They are all in the 2-3M range. Cooke signed 'cheap' and I believe he was ~1.8M/yr.

You know that these are the comparables that Maxim's agent is bringing to the table, and he may not be that far off. He IS our Niel/Ott etc. Whether or not managment believes he is on the same level and as deserving as them is a seperate question. However, i can't see him sticking around with low-ball offers when he knows that some teams are willing to open the cheque books to sign similar 10-20G, agitator types to very lucrative contracts.

He's still restricted though and he isn't going to get an offer sheet; so if he thinks he's being low-balled, all he can hope for is a better deal in arbitration. I don't think it will come to that though as he seems to love playing in Montreal and it isn't like he can walk away and sign with another team without our consent.

I think we saw that his place is definitely on the wing. He is better at throwing his man off his game when he's at wing than at center.

I also think that a 1 year deal would be silly, I think he's earned at least 2, and he wont cost much and is a pretty safe investment. I heard 3 years, 4 mill thrown around on this page, and that would be a pretty good signing.

He's still restricted though and he isn't going to get an offer sheet; so if he thinks he's being low-balled, all he can hope for is a better deal in arbitration. I don't think it will come to that though as he seems to love playing in Montreal and it isn't like he can walk away and sign with another team without our consent.

True dat. I would be interested to know what some of these premium pests (Cooke, Ruutu, Neil) had been paid prior to UFA status.

Twitter pundits saying Max did not file arbitration. Hopefully they get a deal locked down this week. If he didn't file, does that mean they're close at least?

That or they felt arbitration would not be favourable based on his stats in regular season play last year.

I guess there's no rush. Maxim is replaceable and a RFA. There's no need to rush the signing given that P.G. is probably more concerned with ironing out the details on Carey's new deal first.

replaceable? NOW, just where can you pick up another Lappy? The energy and spirit he brought to the table at this years cup run was something else! I mean, come on, tell me you didn't jump up and scream, " That's what I'm talking about!" when lappy was puttin on the "eyeball comic show". And don't get me wrong, it was way more than entertainment. Boy that guy can get to you. His kind is a big part of why we love this sport! and to PG I chant " four more years!"

Max could look decent this season as the energy and crash on Eller's wing or as the extra bit of offense on Boyd's wing. (Assuming they're the 3 and 4 Centres going forward.)

Either way, give the guy a sensible 2 or 3 year offer at a bit over a million a year but give him a real shot at RW.

I agree with those who don't think he's quite as *cheaply* replaceable as some may think. I also agree that this is based on the Max who turned up in the playoffs, but isn't that perhaps the better measure of his true ability? The playoffs made Josh Gorges and Hal Gill into valuable - irreplaceable - cogs in the machine, after all.

replaceable? NOW, just where can you pick up another Lappy? The energy and spirit he brought to the table at this years cup run was something else! I mean, come on, tell me you didn't jump up and scream, " That's what I'm talking about!" when lappy was puttin on the "eyeball comic show". And don't get me wrong, it was way more than entertainment. Boy that guy can get to you. His kind is a big part of why we love this sport! and to PG I chant " four more years!"

Well, there were easily 50-60 players from two other organizations with more spirit and energy than Lapierre (Philadelphia and Chicago) to start with. And yet again, all you are remembering was one measily play-off run that amounted to NOTHING. No Cup win. No parade in downtown Montreal. Sure Lapierre was good in the post-season, but you're acting like there have never been 4th line energy players who took it up a notch during the post-season. These guys are a dime a dozen.

Does Lapierre bring more to the table than a kid straight out of Hamilton? Sure. But is it worth overpaying for Lapierre on either dollar or term? No. A two-year contract is fine, after which I'd be happy to let him walk in free agency. Let some other team overpay for a third-line player with limited scoring capability. Maybe Toronto will offer him a $9 million contract over three years. ;)