Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fourtrax

Ryan O'byrne

252 posts in this topic

He is now 26 yrs old and IMO What you see is what you ar goign to get

It's good to hear that Ryan's taken up boxing which will come in handy the next time someone is picking on a Hab.

Maybe I'm mistaken...I thought it was lappy that took up boxing lessons in the off season.

He is now 26 yrs old and IMO What you see is what you ar goign to get

I'm hoping you turn out to be wrong, but I have a bad feeling you will turn out to be right.

He's 26 years old and plays like an 18-year-old kid straight out of junior. The physical element to his game is completely negated by the fact that he's never in position to use his size and strength effectively. He can't execute basic hockey assignments -- D to D pass, chip the puck out -- with consistency. Entering his third season with the team, he still can't be played in any kind of critical situation, and can't be trusted against top-line forwards. Basically, Martin has to shield him with weaker matchups and reduced ice time.

I was really hoping that Ryan would have a great training camp and show everyone that he's ready to turn a corner and take on a bigger role with the team. And I still hope that he gets it together over the course of the regular season. But right now? I'm not feeling sanguine at all.

Maybe I'm mistaken...I thought it was lappy that took up boxing lessons in the off season.

They both did, OB for the second time.

They both did, OB for the second time.

Oh..didn't realize that,tks.

So...when is his contract up?

I really like him but like someone said hes 26 and can't do some basic assignments

With the way these guys fight.....are you sure it wasn't "boxing" at a grocery store.......packing groceries :lol:

With the way these guys fight.....are you sure it wasn't "boxing" at a grocery store.......packing groceries :lol:

This is where we are scouting now a days,huh????...Grocery stores. :angry::lol:

This is where we are scouting now a days,huh????...Grocery stores. :angry::lol:

That's where you get the statement He couldn't box apples.

I'm hoping you turn out to be wrong, but I have a bad feeling you will turn out to be right.

He's 26 years old and plays like an 18-year-old kid straight out of junior. The physical element to his game is completely negated by the fact that he's never in position to use his size and strength effectively. He can't execute basic hockey assignments -- D to D pass, chip the puck out -- with consistency. Entering his third season with the team, he still can't be played in any kind of critical situation, and can't be trusted against top-line forwards. Basically, Martin has to shield him with weaker matchups and reduced ice time.

I was really hoping that Ryan would have a great training camp and show everyone that he's ready to turn a corner and take on a bigger role with the team. And I still hope that he gets it together over the course of the regular season. But right now? I'm not feeling sanguine at all.

Picard is big also, skates better, and plays better defense, where does that leave Ryan when the ill return?

Picard is big also, skates better, and plays better defense, where does that leave Ryan when the ill return?

On the bench.

Henry and Picard are both big AND more reliable with the puck. At this point, the Ryan O'Byrne experiment appears to be entering its final stages with the Habs, if he doesn't manage to become a regular by the trade deadline, he should be shipped out of town as part of a package with Andrei Kostitsyn.

he should be shipped out of town as part of a package with Andrei Kostitsyn.

This gave me a good chuckle.

While I agree that big Ryan hasn't looked good, there is still hope and a definite need for his style of play on our blue line. The concept of packaging him with AK46 is comical though. It is a strict return to that age old thought.. if we package all of our unwanted/underperformign peices, clearly another team will pony up a star for them! -- This is not to say I believe that AK46 is unwanted, he's looked good and ready to make a mark this season.

O'Byrne will be with the Habs to start the season, he needs to show that he wants to play if he plans on a career here.

Not sure why hes being bashed. OByrne is developing at exactly the speed we should all have assumed he would. Too many times we have placed unrealistic expectations on our players a year or so early. This year OB should show us that he is reasonably sound in the defensive zone AND that he can handle some bigger minutes throughout a full NHL season. Nothing spectacular should be expected.

Not sure why hes being bashed. .

Because I get the impression some would like him to replace Komisareck as Markov's # 2 man and I don't think it will ever happen

Not sure why hes being bashed. OByrne is developing at exactly the speed we should all have assumed he would. Too many times we have placed unrealistic expectations on our players a year or so early. This year OB should show us that he is reasonably sound in the defensive zone AND that he can handle some bigger minutes throughout a full NHL season. Nothing spectacular should be expected.

It's also hard to develop when the coach keeps you in the press box or nails your butt to the bench every time you make a mistake (all the while, a roster player makes mistakes on a nightly basis and he's given more ice time). Honestly, if he's playing with fear of being benched, he's never going to improve. A young guy fighting for a spot, needs to know that mistakes are all part of the learning process.

Instead of nailing him to the bench, JM should show O'B that he has confidence in him (by putting him back on the ice) and let him know what he did wrong and how to avoid it in the future. With how he was treated last year by the coaching staff it's no wonder he had a mediocre training camp.

It's also hard to develop when the coach keeps you in the press box or nails your butt to the bench every time you make a mistake (all the while, a roster player makes mistakes on a nightly basis and he's given more ice time). Honestly, if he's playing with fear of being benched, he's never going to improve. A young guy fighting for a spot, needs to know that mistakes are all part of the learning process.

Instead of nailing him to the bench, JM should show O'B that he has confidence in him (by putting him back on the ice) and let him know what he did wrong and how to avoid it in the future. With how he was treated last year by the coaching staff it's no wonder he had a mediocre training camp.

That's true as a general principle and the best example of this was the last playoffs. However, OB had his ice time in camp and lets call a spade a spade, his camp was far from being stellar. I dont expect him to be an all star and play above his means but I expect progression, not regression. :(

That's true as a general principle and the best example of this was the last playoffs. However, OB had his ice time in camp and lets call a spade a spade, his camp was far from being stellar. I dont expect him to be an all star and play above his means but I expect progression, not regression. :(

i expect him to be a solid 3rd line defender with lots of pk time thats all i want from him

I was among the people arguing for OB to play more in the playoffs, but the whole "can't develop when he isn't getting icetime" thing isn't going to hold water for me much longer. He has had ample ice time this preseason and I think we can all agree has had a fairly dissapointing camp.

I said it earlier: I don't expect him to be flawless, but he isn't a kid any more either.

I was among the people arguing for OB to play more in the playoffs, but the whole "can't develop when he isn't getting icetime" thing isn't going to hold water for me much longer. He has had ample ice time this preseason and I think we can all agree has had a fairly dissapointing camp.

I said it earlier: I don't expect him to be flawless, but he isn't a kid any more either.

Personally, I didn't think he was any worse than anyone else... but his reputation (labelled) plays against him. I watched every game carefully and the blunders were evident all around. Subban? Spacek? Gorges? Picard? Gill? Weber? Carle? Henry?... none were immune, none were great and O'Byrne was definitely not the worst by a long shot!

BAD RAP IMO.

This guy gets such a hard time and it's only preaseason...

His improvement between last season and the yr prior was huge. He went from scoring on his own night and looking afraid out there to having a very strong year and being a force on the ice. You joke about his fighting, but he had some good scraps last year.

He played excellent in the playoffs..just strong and simple. the only downpoint of the playoffs was that JM didn't play him against philly..and we lost.

If OB continues to improve the way he did last season he will be a solid player again this yr.

Personally, I didn't think he was any worse than anyone else... but his reputation (labelled) plays against him. I watched every game carefully and the blunders were evident all around. Subban? Spacek? Gorges? Picard? Gill? Weber? Carle? Henry?... none were immune, none were great and O'Byrne was definitely not the worst by a long shot!

BAD RAP IMO.

Everybody you mention brings something to the table. Subban has offensive upside. Spacek and Gill are vets and preseason isn't the place to judge their effectiveness. Gorges has already proven himself. The rest are fringe NHLers at best (Henry, Picard) or prospects whose development has stalled (Weber, Carle) -- their futures aren't promising, but their shortcomings don't mean Ryan doesn't have work of his own to do in order to improve.

O'Byrne has not proven anything at the NHL level, yet his preseason was very poor from a personal performance standpoint. Unlike Subban, whose defensive gaffes are off-set by other elements to his game (puck movement, PP production), O'Byrne is nothing if he's not generally solid in his own end. For a 26-year-old player entering his third year with the team, O'Byrne has underperformed markedly, to the point where it is legitimate to wonder whether he has what it takes to be anything more than an injury fill-in at the NHL level. Ryan isn't a player out of junior or a 21-year-old kid. He's 26 years old. While I don't expect him to be the second coming of Larry Robinson, but I do expect him to at least demonstrate that he can play basic defensive hockey like a 5th d-man with some potential to slide into the top-four down the road.

This isn't Ryan's first rodeo; chipping the puck out of the zone and cleanly taking his assignment out of a play on the boards should not be Herculean tasks for him. Right now, he's difficult to watch, because there's a good chance even the simplest of assignments will turn ugly for no particular reason. I'm not writing him off, but his performance during preseason certainly has not helped allay my anxiety. Nothing would please me more than to see O'Byrne put all doubts to rest with a rock-solid season in which he firmly establishes himself as a player Martin can play in high-pressure situations. But he still has to go out and prove his worth.

Obyrne was great last season, good first pass and solid in his own end. Why he didnt get big minutes in the playoffs we will never know thats the coachs fault.

Obyrne having a lousy camp isnt too big a deal he got what 3-4 games out of 7? hes rusty/nervous and whatever reason because the coach is creating this

If were gonna name defensemen spacek has nothing on Obyrne, spaceks camp wasnt too pretty either guys.

Obyrne is still young and finding himself and the coach really seems to have a hard time guiding rookies into the regular line up.

So what im trying to say is blame the coach not the player.

This gave me a good chuckle.

While I agree that big Ryan hasn't looked good, there is still hope and a definite need for his style of play on our blue line. The concept of packaging him with AK46 is comical though. It is a strict return to that age old thought.. if we package all of our unwanted/underperformign peices, clearly another team will pony up a star for them! -- This is not to say I believe that AK46 is unwanted, he's looked good and ready to make a mark this season.

Yah I hate it when people do that...Come up with a trade that consists of a package of useless and unwanted habs players in return for a better player. Number does not equal quality! If a bunch of players did us no good, what reassures the team they'll do good elsewhere, they don't want to end up with a bunch of bench warmers that they gave away for an established NHLer!

PS: I do believe Kostitsyn is wanted in at least a few teams, he certainly has talent, he just needs to work harder. Even though this isn't the right thread, mark my words...Kostitsyn will score 25 goals this season and have 54 points.

Everybody you mention brings something to the table. Subban has offensive upside. Spacek and Gill are vets and preseason isn't the place to judge their effectiveness. Gorges has already proven himself. The rest are fringe NHLers at best (Henry, Picard) or prospects whose development has stalled (Weber, Carle) -- their futures aren't promising, but their shortcomings don't mean Ryan doesn't have work of his own to do in order to improve.

O'Byrne has not proven anything at the NHL level, yet his preseason was very poor from a personal performance standpoint. Unlike Subban, whose defensive gaffes are off-set by other elements to his game (puck movement, PP production), O'Byrne is nothing if he's not generally solid in his own end. For a 26-year-old player entering his third year with the team, O'Byrne has underperformed markedly, to the point where it is legitimate to wonder whether he has what it takes to be anything more than an injury fill-in at the NHL level. Ryan isn't a player out of junior or a 21-year-old kid. He's 26 years old. While I don't expect him to be the second coming of Larry Robinson, but I do expect him to at least demonstrate that he can play basic defensive hockey like a 5th d-man with some potential to slide into the top-four down the road.

This isn't Ryan's first rodeo; chipping the puck out of the zone and cleanly taking his assignment out of a play on the boards should not be Herculean tasks for him. Right now, he's difficult to watch, because there's a good chance even the simplest of assignments will turn ugly for no particular reason. I'm not writing him off, but his performance during preseason certainly has not helped allay my anxiety. Nothing would please me more than to see O'Byrne put all doubts to rest with a rock-solid season in which he firmly establishes himself as a player Martin can play in high-pressure situations. But he still has to go out and prove his worth.

If you take the time you will find out that O'Byrne's path (statistically at least - Games, TOI, penalties, playing partners, +/- etc.) closely mirrors Komisarek's almost to a tee... really (I mentioned it a while back after checking the progression of both). That said I think you are being somewhat single minded regarding O'Byrne relative to others who make up the Habs current "D" and the pre-season as it relates to each.

We could say that Ryan is not a rookie (not his first rodeo) and like other vets should not be judged differently. Even if he is and will always be a 5th/6th d-man then so be it. But he is not and was not the worst of what we saw in the pre-season that you yourself stated counts for nothing.

Where he goes from here is still to be determined. But right now I'd rather see him playing and given that opportunity with a new slate once the season starts.