Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fourtrax

Ryan O'byrne

252 posts in this topic

I rly agree with the above. He showed last year he can play in the NHL.

He needs to stick to his game...which is simple, confident and strong.

Once OB drops the mitts a few times and throws a few big hits he will pick up where he left off last year.

If you take the time you will find out that O'Byrne's path (statistically at least - Games, TOI, penalties, playing partners, +/- etc.) closely mirrors Komisarek's almost to a tee... really (I mentioned it a while back after checking the progression of both). That said I think you are being somewhat single minded regarding O'Byrne relative to others who make up the Habs current "D" and the pre-season as it relates to each.

I'm not talking about statistics. I'm talking about what I've seen of Ryan's play through the preseason. He just looks lost and two steps behind most of the time. Not a good sign.

But he is not and was not the worst of what we saw in the pre-season that you yourself stated counts for nothing.

Don't misquote me. I never said preseason counts for nothing. I said that preseason counts for nothing in terms of assessing veterans, i.e. established players. O'Byrne, as far as I'm concerned, is a 26-year-old prospect, in that he hasn't established himself firmly as a starter. It speaks to his lack of development that Subban, five years O'Byrne's junior, has already leapfrogged him on the depth chart.

Preseason is an important time for unproven players to show what they can do. Ryan, unfortunately, has to date only showed what he can't do. A lot.

Where he goes from here is still to be determined. But right now I'd rather see him playing and given that opportunity with a new slate once the season starts.

Well, like I said initially, I'm not going to pass judgment on O'Byrne based on preseason. I'm not writing him off. And I do believe that he deserves this season to demonstrate that he belongs with the team. But thus far, he hasn't shown me anything to make me believe he'll be anything other than a slow, soft, mistake-prone penalty machine with no offensive upside who still, at age 26, has to be shielded from top matchups and carefully managed to remain even marginally effective.

I'm actually still cautiously optomistic. I really want to see Ryan succeed and become a core member of our defense going forward. All I'm saying is this: at this stage in his career, if he gets benched because he starts making a bunch of mistakes he shouldn't be making, I'm not going to make excuses for him and say the coaching staff needs to let him "play and learn from his mistakes."

Over the past three years, Ryan has 125 NHL games under his belt. This is his fourth season with the team and he's 26. It's a make-or-break year for him as far as I'm concerned. I have been a staunch supporter of O'Byrne over the past year, but if he wants to show that he's more than a fringe NHL player and injury fill-in, he has to take a definitive step forward in 2010-11. Smart, assignment-sharp hockey should be the rule for Ryan this year, not the exception.

Over the past three years, Ryan has 125 NHL games under his belt. This is his fourth season with the team and he's 26. It's a make-or-break year for him as far as I'm concerned. I have been a staunch supporter of O'Byrne over the past year, but if he wants to show that he's more than a fringe NHL player and injury fill-in, he has to take a definitive step forward in 2010-11. Smart, assignment-sharp hockey should be the rule for Ryan this year, not the exception.

When was the last time O'Byrne actually played a game in the AHL? I agree that this year he will have to be better if he wants to be anything more than he is considered at present. Even though he was/is a late bloomer IMO, time is not going to be on his side with the Habs.

Edited by brianw6

When was the last time O'Byrne actually played a game in the AHL? I agree that this year he will have to be better if he wants to be anything more than he is considered at present. Even though he was/is a late bloomer IMO, time is not going to be on his side with the Habs.

In 08-09 I think he played about 20 games with the Bulldogs.

I was very surprised the way he picked up his game last season. So far this preseason (not so much) and I guess others feel the same way by what they are posting.

Let's hope he has a good season just like last one (or he'll find himself upstairs in the pressbox quite often).

In 08-09 I think he played about 20 games with the Bulldogs.

I was very surprised the way he picked up his game last season. So far this preseason (not so much) and I guess others feel the same way by what they are posting.

Let's hope he has a good season just like last one (or he'll find himself upstairs in the pressbox quite often).

It looks like Ryan White and Ryan O'Byrne will be the enforcers for the Toronto game. Hopefully O'Byrne's boxing lessons will help him against the Leafs heavies.

Game 1..bench clearing brawl and O'By levels Komisarek. :P Oh how I would like to see this.

I do agree with the point that it's a make or break year. Especially with his contract being up.

But lets give him some good positive energy since it's only preseason. I read an article bout him and his mom. It must be hard going into your first season without your mom there in 26 years.

This gave me a good chuckle.

While I agree that big Ryan hasn't looked good, there is still hope and a definite need for his style of play on our blue line. The concept of packaging him with AK46 is comical though. It is a strict return to that age old thought.. if we package all of our unwanted/underperformign peices, clearly another team will pony up a star for them! -- This is not to say I believe that AK46 is unwanted, he's looked good and ready to make a mark this season.

I didn't say we would get a star in return but with AK due to be a free agent and Ryan not developping, packaging them may yield you a veteran from a bottom feeder at the deadline.

I think Picard will surpass him by mid-season on the depth chart, the main thing Ryan has going for him besides being big is that he is right handed. If Alex Henry were right handed, OB would be in hamilton, because he's essentially the same player but left handed and a touch more confident.

Well it looks like Travis Moen, Ryan O'Byrne and Max Lapierre will be the enforcers in Toronto Ihope those boxing lessons were pretty good ones because the Leafs are almost all enforcers.

Alright. Fresh season for Ryan. He improved his game last year! Let's hope he can do it again this season. :D

Alright. Fresh season for Ryan. He improved his game last year! Let's hope he can do it again this season. :D

Yes, get in there and knock em dead kid ;p

Hopefully O'Byrne's boxing lessons will help him against the Leafs heavies.

Lay them out Ryan.

Can we trade him?

im sure he could be involved in a deal

He's sitting in favor of Hamrlik next game, Picard is a better skater and puck handler.

He's sitting in favor of Hamrlik next game, Picard is a better skater and puck handler.

Picard didn't really play any better than O'byrne. I'd rather see Weber or something like that.

Ouch.

While I would like to see him use his size more effectively, he did say he patterned his game after Mike Komisarek...maybe he should have chosen a better role model ;)

Or be paired with a better partner...

On a positive note he did make that one beautiful pass to spring Boyd on that break-away. Too bad he couldn't cash in. :o

Edited by Bean_Counting_Hab

On a positive note he did make that one beautiful pass to spring Boyd on that break-away. Too bad he couldn't cash in. :o

That was an excellent pass. I was surprised it was O'B. :o All in all a decent game, as far as I can remember. He didn't stand out in anyway which is what you hope for from your bottom pairing d-men.

I thought he finished better than he started, so hopefully he can build off that.

I agree, and I didn't really think pairing him with Picard helped his game at all.

Edited by Habcore