The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Tom Pyatt

Doubtful. He can skate ... and that's all. He can't hit, can't score, can't pass, and isn't particularly great defensively. Honestly, he is a spare part I'd have no hesitation in getting rid of in the offseason.

If and when Darche and Cammalleri get back, I'd have no problem sending Pyatt down and keeping White. Pyatt would have to pass through waivers, but he's completely expendable right now. A guy can be the fastest skater on the team and play a decent albeit not great PK, but if you can't score 5 goals in a season and you're not providing physical presence or some other invaluable skill, then there's no room for you in the NHL.

Doubtful. He can skate ... and that's all. He can't hit, can't score, can't pass, and isn't particularly great defensively. Honestly, he is a spare part I'd have no hesitation in getting rid of in the offseason.

It's a bit surprising actually; he put up some decent numbers in the AHL before getting called up the first time. I wasn't expecting him to be a top 6 or anything but I thought he had a little more to bring offensively from the bottom 6.

It's a bit surprising actually; he put up some decent numbers in the AHL before getting called up the first time. I wasn't expecting him to be a top 6 or anything but I thought he had a little more to bring offensively from the bottom 6.

And he was really good in the playoffs and last part of the season last year. I am suprised by his performance this year. I thought he was going to a real solid asset.

• 1 month later...

People are down on this kid, but I think he quietly does his job and I have no problem with keeping him on the roster as a 13th forward once Darche gets back. There's no reason to subject him to waivers, we are not gaining much by losing him for free possibly and there is no reason to call up Dawes or Boyd.

They like Pyatt can score in the AHL. I'd say they are all interchangeable 4th liners with Pyatt having an edge in longevity within the system and a very solid playoff run last year.

He is a solid NHL 4th liner, that can kill penalties, nothing more and nothing less. Keep him and use him if necessary, he may not win you a game but he will not lose one either.

People are down on this kid, but I think he quietly does his job and I have no problem with keeping him on the roster as a 13th forward once Darche gets back. There's no reason to subject him to waivers, we are not gaining much by losing him for free possibly and there is no reason to call up Dawes or Boyd.

They like Pyatt can score in the AHL. I'd say they are all interchangeable 4th liners with Pyatt having an edge in longevity within the system and a very solid playoff run last year.

He is a solid NHL 4th liner, that can kill penalties, nothing more and nothing less. Keep him and use him if necessary, he may not win you a game but he will not lose one either.

i'd rather have palushaj up who has a shot at becoming a second line forward or a really good 3rd liner

This. He adds some more scoring/passing to the bottom lines, not that Pyatt can't but I feel he hasn't been the same without Domenic Moore.

Good Times, Laps Pyatt Moore.

But yeah I love tommy but right now we have better options IMO

Good Times, Laps Pyatt Moore.

But yeah I love tommy but right now we have better options IMO

Yeah he seems like a good guy and he always is out there working hard. Problem is I just don't see him fitting in with JM's or the habs plans next year :(

Hate to see him go but I think this may be his last season...only time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope to see him turn it on this years playoffs, like last year B)

Cups have been won with role players like Pyatt. Coaches will tell you that your top line players are very important, but it's the heart and soul players who make a big difference in the playoffs. It's often the grinders who sparks the team.

I'm expecting Pyatt to do well and we also have DD, White, Eller who are waiting for their chance.

DD has had to work harder than anyone to just to make it to the NHL... I'm hoping for more of the same during the post season.

Cups have been won with role players like Pyatt. Coaches will tell you that your top line players are very important, but it's the heart and soul players who make a big difference in the playoffs. It's often the grinders who sparks the team.

I'm expecting Pyatt to do well and we also have DD, White, Eller who are waiting for their chance.

DD has had to work harder than anyone to just to make it to the NHL... I'm hoping for more of the same during the post season.

Cup winners need stars to play well but I completely agree, they also need role players to step up in their roles: great penalty killers and shot blockers, guys who create energy with big hits and cheap goals on rebounds, stay-at-home D men who shut down the opposition's big names... if we are to have a chance, we need Price and Pleks and Gio and Cammy to play well, but what'll put us over the edge is guys like Pouliot, DD, Eller, White, or Pyatt stepping up their games too, like we had last year from many of our supporting players. Some say that guys like White are a dime a dozen, but I think it's important to value what guys like he and Darche bring, because obviously not everyone is willing to do what they do. I don't know that Pyatt will get as much of a chance to play into the line-up if and when Halpern makes it back, but he's got to do more than use his speed if he wants to make his contribution count. His D needs to be flawless and he has to take that speed to the net and create some chances for his linemates if he's not going to bury them himself.

Cup winners need stars to play well but I completely agree, they also need role players to step up in their roles: great penalty killers and shot blockers, guys who create energy with big hits and cheap goals on rebounds, stay-at-home D men who shut down the opposition's big names... if we are to have a chance, we need Price and Pleks and Gio and Cammy to play well, but what'll put us over the edge is guys like Pouliot, DD, Eller, White, or Pyatt stepping up their games too, like we had last year from many of our supporting players. Some say that guys like White are a dime a dozen, but I think it's important to value what guys like he and Darche bring, because obviously not everyone is willing to do what they do. I don't know that Pyatt will get as much of a chance to play into the line-up if and when Halpern makes it back, but he's got to do more than use his speed if he wants to make his contribution count. His D needs to be flawless and he has to take that speed to the net and create some chances for his linemates if he's not going to bury them himself.

Moore was a great addition to the team and he wasn't a 50 goal scorer. Didn't like what we gave up to acquire him... But it was a good move and I give PG kudos for going after him. People forget the importance of role players.

wow, Pyatt is liek the forward-version reincarnation of Josh Gorges. He's just a monster, winning his puck battles down low. Beast mode.

Weber - Eller - Pyatt were awesome tonight.

wow, Pyatt is liek the forward-version reincarnation of Josh Gorges. He's just a monster, winning his puck battles down low. Beast mode.

Weber - Eller - Pyatt were awesome tonight.

yes. I'd like to keep weber up front. He's looked good everygame there.

yes. I'd like to keep weber up front. He's looked good everygame there.

Weber's been very good in his limited role and he had chances in the couple of regular season games he played up front too. But that said, I think if we have the chance to get AK or Halpern back in, Weber has to sit.

I wouldn't take Pyatt out right now. He's hustling and causing problems for the B's D with his speed, so to me, he stays in right now.

Weber's been very good in his limited role and he had chances in the couple of regular season games he played up front too. But that said, I think if we have the chance to get AK or Halpern back in, Weber has to sit.

I wouldn't take Pyatt out right now. He's hustling and causing problems for the B's D with his speed, so to me, he stays in right now.

At this point, I'd keep Weber in at forward over Pouliot. He's simply not contributing. He's a liability defensively and cannot generate anything in the defensive zone.

Not to mention that the insertion of Weber at forward gives Martin some flexibility in case of injury.

At this point, I'd keep Weber in at forward over Pouliot. He's simply not contributing. He's a liability defensively and cannot generate anything in the defensive zone.

Not to mention that the insertion of Weber at forward gives Martin some flexibility in case of injury.

thats what i was getting at.

As difficult a stretch as Benny's going through, we'll need him going forward. We can't ask Weber, Pyatt, Moen, and White to contribute offence and once we hit a game where neither of the top two lines produces, we'll need someone else to step it up. That could be Eller or DD or it could be Pouliot. The kid just has to learn the right way to play under pressure and if the goal is to make a Cup run, that has to be with the guys who are supposed to be there. Maybe you sit Benny for one game, but after that, I think you need to come back to him and stick it out. I'd really like to see Benny put back with Halpern on the other wing and Eller in the middle. They have chemistry and I think that may be a key to getting him going again. I'd keep Pyatt with DD and White.