Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fourtrax

Alex Auld

185 posts in this topic

Alex Auld is much better goalie than Ryan Miller!

Fixed

To get one of the leagues best goalies for 1 million is amazing :D

one year in vancouver he played like 60+ games.

67 games which is actually a huge load.

Nice mask (see: Insideout)

It is a nice mask indeed

auld-mask.jpg

Edited by RSD

the mask is nice and great to see him respect the history of Montreal goaltending but we are going to need him to be dependable and reliable this year something he hasnt really been over most of his career

the mask is nice and great to see him respect the history of Montreal goaltending but we are going to need him to be dependable and reliable this year something he hasnt really been over most of his career

What!? Auld has always been a good backup goalie, giving the starter a rest.

What!? Auld has always been a good backup goalie, giving the starter a rest.

hes never been that great lets be real here, we just need him to make saves and be there for us when called upon

Very cool mask, like everyone else I saw it on Habs I/O.

Well, it shows he's happy to be here.

You're right Habs24, even as a backup he's very average.

Auld has never been anything more than an average backup; even in his one crack as a starter, he was plagued by inconsistencies in his game. I'm still not sure what I think of the signing; I know we're not looking for anything more than a serviceable backup (looking to give Carey the vast majority of the load to carry) but I think there would have been other names I would have pursued over Auld.

Nonetheless, I suppose he's here for now, so I wish him nothing but success!

hes never been that great lets be real here, we just need him to make saves and be there for us when called upon

Auld has never been anything more than an average backup; even in his one crack as a starter, he was plagued by inconsistencies in his game. I'm still not sure what I think of the signing; I know we're not looking for anything more than a serviceable backup (looking to give Carey the vast majority of the load to carry) but I think there would have been other names I would have pursued over Auld.

I actually disagree with you guys. Dont get me wrong, I dont think Auld will suddenly pull a Tim Thomas & become some brilliant goalie as he enters his 30s...but, I think he's shown he has been a consistent quality backup. He's got a 2.78gaa career, a .904 svg% and a mostly a decent w/l for the last few years. He's not going to steal the starting job, but the team should have confidence playing in front of him.

I also think its no coincidence that we signed a huge tall guy like Auld vs. others available because I believe the coaching staff felt there was too much difference between the way our short & tall goalies played last year & the team couldnt adapt between them. This should make a more consistent and seamless transition on the nights carey has off.

I actually disagree with you guys. Dont get me wrong, I dont think Auld will suddenly pull a Tim Thomas & become some brilliant goalie as he enters his 30s...but, I think he's shown he has been a consistent quality backup. He's got a 2.78gaa career, a .904 svg% and a mostly a decent w/l for the last few years. He's not going to steal the starting job, but the team should have confidence playing in front of him.

I also think its no coincidence that we signed a huge tall guy like Auld vs. others available because I believe the coaching staff felt there was too much difference between the way our short & tall goalies played last year & the team couldnt adapt between them. This should make a more consistent and seamless transition on the nights carey has off.

I'd thought about this too. On the one hand, like you pointed out, it makes it easier to coach having two guys who play a similar style and of similar build. but on the other hand, you wonder if they also have the same flaws. Sometimes being able to change up the style of goaltending you throw at a team, particularly in the playoffs, can be an asset. Look at us last year going to Halak, or the Canes in their Cup year going from Gerber to Cam Ward. Some of that is also finding the guy who's in the right psychological place to win games at that time, but some of it can also be attributed to a goalie matching up well with the type of attack an opposition uses.

I'd thought about this too. On the one hand, like you pointed out, it makes it easier to coach having two guys who play a similar style and of similar build. but on the other hand, you wonder if they also have the same flaws. Sometimes being able to change up the style of goaltending you throw at a team, particularly in the playoffs, can be an asset. Look at us last year going to Halak, or the Canes in their Cup year going from Gerber to Cam Ward. Some of that is also finding the guy who's in the right psychological place to win games at that time, but some of it can also be attributed to a goalie matching up well with the type of attack an opposition uses.

We always have Sanford and he was a reliable backup to Luongo when he played in Vancouver. So goalie depth isn't a problem the Habs have done a good job covering for Halak being traded.

We always have Sanford and he was a reliable backup to Luongo when he played in Vancouver. So goalie depth isn't a problem the Habs have done a good job covering for Halak being traded.

JM hinted that Sanford has an outside shot at making the team, but I believe this is more to make sure Auld takes nothing for granted. I don't see any way Sanford jumps ahead of Auld to start the year. If the Habs really felt Sanford was their number two guy, they wouldn't have signed Auld. Sanford had a good year last season in Hamilton, so it's not like he needs to show he can do more at the AHL level. The fact is that the Habs like him as a potential call-up but nothing more. I agree that he is a good insurance policy to have, although I am not so sure Alex Auld was the best available guy for the money we spent. He is a decent back-up, but I'm not sure he has the ability to be a short-term number one in the event Price is injured or isn't playing well. A guy like Ellis or Biron may have been more suitable given our needs, but I'm willing to give Alex the chance to prove himself here.

ya its a very iffy signing imo as well

ya its a very iffy signing imo as well

Iffy was signed to ensure he would not challenge for the starter's job... The Price has to be justified ;)

1 B3L13\/E dat auld w1ll b3 da sekond coming 0f patr1ck roy and w1ll br1ng uz t0 da cupzzzz!!!1111

just kidding :D

Alex is great team guy , so happy he's a Hab , now I have 2 of my hometown boys on the team !!! Auld and Pyatt 2 good ole Thunder Bay boy's ( Auld is listed as being from alberta but he grew up here and played his minor hockey in T Bay) . Neither of these guys are flashy but have great attitudes , team players who will bring thier work boots to the rink every night.

It is a nice mask indeed

auld-mask.jpg

Shouldn't the Montreal Goaltenders paint a picture of a big target on their mask........for the opposing teams & the boo-birds :lol: