The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Alex Auld

Too early to say yet, but hopefully his strong showing tonight should calm a few of the people (myself included) who wondered why we didn't grab a more expensive backup goalie this summer. Auld isn't a starter, but he looks like exactly what we'll need in a backup capacity: a capable veteran who can play at a high level in short bursts coming off the bench.

What more expensive backups were available though? The problem is, some of the better goalies, such as Ellis who Gauthier tried to get, wanted somewhere where they'd at least have the chance of being a starter. And after trading our playoff hero, Gauthier wasn't making it any secret who Montreal's goalie was going forward. We were only going to get a goalie who really had given up on being a starter for the time being, and I think Auld was an excellent choice based on who was availble: experienced, has been a starter in the past, has always posted respectable stats, etc.

Over a longer stretch, Auld probably isn't going to steal a ton of games, but he also isn't going to lose you them. So if Price were to get injured, the team will need to step up, but it's not like they're doomed: which is what you want in a veteran backup. Looking over the past few seasons, his stats are very consistant, averaging slightly over .900.

That's true, both would be great choices, although I don't feel they are miles ahead of Auld.

well biron was a starter and s

uccesful at that soo i think biron was miles ahead of auld but not nittiymaki or however you spell it but auld will fit in fine because hes not expected to play like 30 games which is what biron would of wanted

I think Auld should start against Nashville. That will give Carey a rest after 8 starts, the last one at that point being against the Flyers (which will be a tough game). If Carey plays Nashville then he won't likely get a rest until Atlanta, making it 12 in a row.

Alex deserves another start, especially since he played really well in the win against NYI.

I think Auld should start against Nashville. That will give Carey a rest after 8 starts, the last one at that point being against the Flyers (which will be a tough game). If Carey plays Nashville then he won't likely get a rest until Atlanta, making it 12 in a row.

Alex deserves another start, especially since he played really well in the win against NYI.

Ya, I'd be good with that. Carey definately needs to get that game against the Flyers though.

These are very highly trained athletes, I don't know if I buy the whole he will be tired after X number of games I would only put Auld in for the sake of him seeing some action so he doesn't get too cold, but if Price does play well against Philly I think he should play the remainder of the week. We want as many points as we can get early in the year, because they will be harder to come by after Christmas, and Price provides us with the better chance to win games.

These are very highly trained athletes, I don't know if I buy the whole he will be tired after X number of games I would only put Auld in for the sake of him seeing some action so he doesn't get too cold, but if Price does play well against Philly I think he should play the remainder of the week. We want as many points as we can get early in the year, because they will be harder to come by after Christmas, and Price provides us with the better chance to win games.

True, they are highly trained but at this rate, Alex will start fewer than 10 games meaning Carey will play more than 70. That's Brodeur type workload for a guy who has never held down the starting position for a whole season.

Would be tough to sit him for the Preds game (for the sake of giving him a rest) now since he is playing so well.

Yes -- should have given Auld the start :) -- over playing Price .

You'll be happy to know it's already confirmed that he's starting. Atlanta is playing well though so he'll need to be on his toes.

Depending on which version of Atlants shows up,,,this could be a very tough test.