The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Nhl's Biggest Showboats After Scoring A Goal

I just saw this article on the NHL.com site titled Wackiest Goal Celebrations in History. Among the celebrators: Teemu Selanne throwing his glove into the air and using his stick as a semi-automatic rifle, a Colorado player (I only know the number was 23) diving to the ice and doing the crawl stroke( at first, I thought it the belly flop), Tiger Williams skating down the ice riding his stick, and Theo Fleury sliding down the ice on his knees while pumping his fist. I put the last two as the biggest hot dog move on this video. Oh yes, Ovechkin is in there (it looked toe touching) and Sean Avery was shown doing pushups. So now, what I want you do is put in your nominations for the NHL's biggest showboats, past and present, after scoring a goal. And also, describe how the player celebrated his goal.

I just saw this article on the NHL.com site titled Wackiest Goal Celebrations in History. Among the celebrators: Teemu Selanne throwing his glove into the air and using his stick as a semi-automatic rifle, a Colorado player (I only know the number was 23) diving to the ice and doing the crawl stroke( at first, I thought it the belly flop), Tiger Williams skating down the ice riding his stick, and Theo Fleury sliding down the ice on his knees while pumping his fist. I put the last two as the biggest hot dog move on this video. Oh yes, Ovechkin is in there (it looked toe touching) and Sean Avery was shown doing pushups. So now, what I want you do is put in your nominations for the NHL's biggest showboats, past and present, after scoring a goal. And also, describe how the player celebrated his goal.

Patrick Roy celebrating a save by throwing the puck in his own net in a celebratory fashion :D

I particularly liked Hammer's offbeat weird dance move or whatever it was that he did after a goal this past season and also pleki falling flat on his back and everyone piling on top and laughing their butt off...hmm...those two were more bloopers than showboating but whatever, they made me smile

About Tiger Williams' stunt. I finally realized a description for his antics, mainly a witch on a broomstick skating down the ice. I don't remember who he played for, but I noticed he was wearing a God-awful uniform. That might be an idea for another thread.

Since a bunch of people seem to agree that Ovechkin is the biggest showboater, here's something I found today on him:

"Max Talbot poured a little fuel on the Winter Classic fire during an interview with Tim Benz on Pittsburgh's 105.9 The X radio morning show, straying away from the normally PC talk that precedes a rivalry game.

Talbot shared his dislike of Washington forward Alex Ovechkin, saying that Evgeni Malkin introduced him to Ovechkin during last summer's NHL awards.

"This guy is a real douche," Talbot said about Ovechkin."

via: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tom-Mast/Wi...chkin/136/29512

Since a bunch of people seem to agree that Ovechkin is the biggest showboater, here's something I found today on him:

"Max Talbot poured a little fuel on the Winter Classic fire during an interview with Tim Benz on Pittsburgh's 105.9 The X radio morning show, straying away from the normally PC talk that precedes a rivalry game.

Talbot shared his dislike of Washington forward Alex Ovechkin, saying that Evgeni Malkin introduced him to Ovechkin during last summer's NHL awards.

"This guy is a real douche," Talbot said about Ovechkin."

via: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tom-Mast/Wi...chkin/136/29512

To be honest... MT has no business opening his mouth. If Ovy and Sid want to go at it, so be it, but until MT wins a scoring title, he should stay where he's been all season... In the shadows (sid's shadow that is).

I have no issue with players getting caught up in the moment and celebrating. Even our own Mats Naslund had his ritual after scoring (running on the tips of his skates).

I have issue when it seems rehearsed or becomes more about the celebration (like in football).

I've often felt that Ovy's celebrations were rehearsed... Which is why I choose Ovy. Other players have gotten caught up and went a lil far, but with Ovy, you'd think every goal he scored was #500.

About Tiger Williams' stunt. I finally realized a description for his antics, mainly a witch on a broomstick skating down the ice. I don't remember who he played for, but I noticed he was wearing a God-awful uniform. That might be an idea for another thread.

Tiger Williams played for Toronto, Vancouver (perhaps where you saw that God-Awful uniform) and Detroit, among other places.

Archived