The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Khl Thread

For some reason I would say that Hartford would get a KHL team before it gets its NHL team back.

How is this even possible? A little far fetched don't ya think? It's the KHL for a reason.

-----

Never heard of the Victoria Cup but thanks for brining it up. How and when does the NHL choose wich team is going to compete?

How is this even possible? A little far fetched don't ya think? It's the KHL for a reason.

LOL.

Well, there's some comments by Russian hockey fans I've heard, who seem to think that if things keep going as they are with the KHL wanting to expand westwards, that eventually there will be teams in Guatemala and Dubai, but only two in Russia.

And Medvedev has said he finds it shocking there isn't an NHL team in a place like Quebec City... KHL Nordiques? :P

And now, much as I like the KHL - or perhaps exactly because of that - I really think they need to stick to teams in Russia and former USSR countries, in order for it to become a stable, strong league. Already it's an enormous distance between the easternmost (Amur Khabarovsk) and westernmost (Dinamo Riga) teams. Adding teams even further west would mean trips over 8000 km... this would not be good.

Never heard of the Victoria Cup but thanks for brining it up. How and when does the NHL choose wich team is going to compete?

I'm not entirely sure how they've been picked in the past, except that it hasn't been the Stanley Cup champion (I believe they haven't sent the Cup winners, because the NHL is worried about getting embarrassed by the Cup champs losing to some European team).

It doesn't look like it'll happen this year, but I hope it will happen next year. This year, we have the two KHL-NHL exhibition games to look forward to, as consolation.

http://www.khlnhl.ru/en/

I'm going to predict that SKA will demolish Carolina (well, by 2 goals at least), and Phoenix will edge Dinamo out.

Anything about Esche? Maybe the cheesepuffs will try to get him back (he seems to be an improvement over Leighton) when his KHL contract runs out unless they get another decent goalie before then.

Well, May he went to Dynamo Minsk, but he's not on their roster now... dunno where he's at. I'll look.

Please forgive me. I know almost nothing of KHL players so I just threw up the first thing that could have come to mind. But what I'm saying is that, one day, KHL teams could trade players from and to NHL teams, like player trades in soccer.

Oh, okay.

Though player trades in soccer are very rare. More usually, you want a player, you pay money to the club that owns his contract for the right to offer the guy a new contract. If he accepts it, he comes to you and you pay his old club; if he rejects it, he stays where he is and you don't pay.

Please forgive me. I know almost nothing of KHL players so I just threw up the first thing that could have come to mind. But what I'm saying is that, one day, KHL teams could trade players from and to NHL teams, like player trades in soccer.

Player trades are virtually nonexistent in soccer. If the player you want is still under contract with another team, you need to compensate his current team with a transfer fee to acquire the guy. His existing contract becomes void and you can sign him to a new one. Player transactions in the big soccer leagues are totally different from North American pro sports. Also, there's neither a draft system, nor are collective bargaining agreements in place.

Edit:

zenya beat me to it ;)

As a side note on the soccer things... MLS is structured like other North American pro sports, with player trades. So if a team wants a player from a foreign league, the league itself buys the contract from the other team, and the MLS team who wanted it "manages" the contract - paying it, etc., and then he can be traded freely to other MLS teams.

If, say, a Spanish team wants to buy a player playing for LA Galaxy, say, the Spanish team would negotiate with the league, not the Galaxy.

As a side note on the soccer things... MLS is structured like other North American pro sports, with player trades. So if a team wants a player from a foreign league, the league itself buys the contract from the other team, and the MLS team who wanted it "manages" the contract - paying it, etc., and then he can be traded freely to other MLS teams.

If, say, a Spanish team wants to buy a player playing for LA Galaxy, say, the Spanish team would negotiate with the league, not the Galaxy.

Neat. I'd always wondered how this worked when they brought over their 'designated players' (or whatever they're called)

Well, I'd argue that the poaching goes the other way, too, and probably more often - the NHL signing players from Europe who have valid contracts in leagues over there. So from that point of view I can understand the KHL's position there.

But as a simple hockey fan, I just wish everyone would respect everyone else's contracts, or specifically negotiate on a case-by-case basis for a player as is done in football; the flat e.g. $250,000 fee the NHL pays per player is IMO *very* much a screw-over of the European teams who raise these players.

But I digress... I'd rather not get into hockey politics! :)