Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DA_Champion

Which Cities Would You Add/remove Franchises From?

326 posts in this topic

I would expand to Winnipeg and Quebec City.

Not sure about relocations.

Add

Quebec City

Winnipeg

Hartford

Remove

Atlanta

Phoenix

Columbus

Edited by EHIW

Add

Winnipeg

Quebec City

Hartford

Portland

Milwaukee

Remove

Phoenix

Columbus

NY Islanders

Florida

Atlanta

Hamilton, Quebec City, Winnipeg. Canadian fans will support teams better then most of these southern US cities will. There is plenty of teams struggling in the US cities, let them re-locate in the US. Let Canada establish "new" clubs in these cities. The league will expand eventually and right now teams would do better up here then in the US. We have the market, the fans, and these cities do not fight for fan dollars with NFL, NBA, and MLB.

Well, a case would be made for Salt Lake City only having to fight with NBA for fan dollars but how much of a hockey market is this city?

Well, a case would be made for Salt Lake City only having to fight with NBA for fan dollars but how much of a hockey market is this city?

I'm not sure...has Salt Lake City ever been considered by the NHL or rumoured by various sites?

Florida---> Hamilton

Phoenix--->Winnepeg

Atlanta--->QC

Expand----> St. Johns, NL!!!!!! (jk, about 1/10 of the city would have to go each game to support them)

Edited by jagger4321

I'd add Quebec, Hamilton and Winnipeg. I'd love to see a team in Indiana so I can watch the Habs in person a few times a year but that's unlikely to happen :lol:

Teams I'd remove would be Florida, Nashville, Phoenix and Atlanta

ATLANTA ......TO.......QUEBEC

NASHVILLE....TO.......HARTFORD

PHOENIX.......TO.......WINNIPEG

THESE ARE 3 CITIES THAT SHOULD NEVER HAVE LOST THEIR TEAMS.....AFTER SEEING WHAT BETTMAN HAS DONE TO SAVE NASHVILLE AND PHOENIX

NO NEED FOR EXPANSION RIGHT NOW

Salt Lake City's MLS team is floundering, probably relocated to Montreal for 2012 (Montreal Impact) unless Montreal as a MLS team is an expansion team.

When the last NHL pre-season games were played in Salt Lake City, did they have good attendance?

I feel like a team in Columbus OH should work if the franchise could ever string together a series of winning seasons. I mean, aren't there Americans playing hockey in the state of Ohio? If there's grass-roots hockey there, kids playing at a young age and learning the game, then shouldn't there be fans there, as well? I think the franchise must be suffering BIG time because of the failure to ever perform well enough to make the play-offs. I also wouldn't mind seeing a franchise in Milwaukee WI. I know they already have the the Bucks and the Brewers, but they don't have a NFL franchise and the state seems to produce hockey players, too! :D Most recently they have produced Phil Kessel and Joe Pavelski.

So! I vote to keep Columbus in Columbus and to move someone up to Milwaukee if the opportunity ever arises! ;)

I feel like a team in Columbus OH should work if the franchise could ever string together a series of winning seasons. I mean, aren't there Americans playing hockey in the state of Ohio? If there's grass-roots hockey there, kids playing at a young age and learning the game, then shouldn't there be fans there, as well? I think the franchise must be suffering BIG time because of the failure to ever perform well enough to make the play-offs. I also wouldn't mind seeing a franchise in Milwaukee WI. I know they already have the the Bucks and the Brewers, but they don't have a NFL franchise and the state seems to produce hockey players, too! :D Most recently they have produced Phil Kessel and Joe Pavelski.

So! I vote to keep Columbus in Columbus and to move someone up to Milwaukee if the opportunity ever arises! ;)

Columbus' main problem is their arena deal. Unlike every other NHL arena where the team gets lots of money for naming rights, Nationwide Arena is owned by Nationwide insurance. As a result, the Jackets are not only losing out on tons of money in naming rights, but they also have to pay rent to use the arena. Until this upcoming season, they were also responsible for all day-to-day operations of the arena year-round. That was another way they were losing money because Nationwide isn't the only 18,000 seat arena in town, so they can't keep it booked all the time. Thankfully, as much as I hate Ohio State University, they have agreed to manage the arena jointly with their own arena. So operating costs will be cut significantly and the two venues will now co-promote each other, rather than competing.

Youth hockey has exploded in Ohio. When we had minor league teams, there was some youth hockey, but it has multiplied exponentially since the Jackets came. 20 years ago, the city had no public ice rink. Now there are three locations with rinks, each having two sheets, and the Jackets practice rink is open to the public the majority of the time. High school hockey has doubled in just the last 5 or 6 years, after already expanding a lot in the early 2000's.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Columbus' main problem is their arena deal. Unlike every other NHL arena where the team gets lots of money for naming rights, Nationwide Arena is owned by Nationwide insurance. As a result, the Jackets are not only losing out on tons of money in naming rights, but they also have to pay rent to use the arena. Until this upcoming season, they were also responsible for all day-to-day operations of the arena year-round. That was another way they were losing money because Nationwide isn't the only 18,000 seat arena in town, so they can't keep it booked all the time. Thankfully, as much as I hate Ohio State University, they have agreed to manage the arena jointly with their own arena. So operating costs will be cut significantly and the two venues will now co-promote each other, rather than competing.

Youth hockey has exploded in Ohio. When we had minor league teams, there was some youth hockey, but it has multiplied exponentially since the Jackets came. 20 years ago, the city had no public ice rink. Now there are three locations with rinks, each having two sheets, and the Jackets practice rink is open to the public the majority of the time. High school hockey has doubled in just the last 5 or 6 years, after already expanding a lot in the early 2000's.

Well, what your describing sounds like a step in the right direction for the health of the franchise. As long as there are willing owners in Columbus I would like to see the franchise stay there for at least another five seasons. I think the franchise can succeed! I get the sense that people like to immediately hop on the, "Kill all franchises of the past 10-15 years and move them back to Canada" bandwagon without taking into consideration that places like Columbus are starting to produce hockey players and develop interest in the sport South of the border.

Well, what your describing sounds like a step in the right direction for the health of the franchise. As long as there are willing owners in Columbus I would like to see the franchise stay there for at least another five seasons. I think the franchise can succeed! I get the sense that people like to immediately hop on the, "Kill all franchises of the past 10-15 years and move them back to Canada" bandwagon without taking into consideration that places like Columbus are starting to produce hockey players and develop interest in the sport South of the border.

For sure, the city has embraced the team to a much bigger degree than I expected. Granted, OSU still takes 1st and 2nd priority. Just as an example, the local sports radio channel aired college football news all evening the day Hitchcock was fired. Still, I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised by their popularity. Our ECHL team in the 90's still holds the record for minor league consecutive sell-outs, albeit in a 5,000 seat "arena." They had a very loyal following, but at least back then, the ECHL was both wide open and full of fights, so fans got to see lots of goal and fisticuffs, which seemed to be the more popular of the two. I just didn't expect those fans to transition well to NHL hockey, but they have. I still see some familiar faces from the old days in the nosebleeds at Nationwide - the type of tickets Chill fans can afford, haha.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Or rather,

Add:

Hamilton

Quebec City

Winnipeg

Milwaukee

Remove:

Florida

Atlanta

NY Islanders

Phoenix

Detroit in Eastern Conference.

I would move teh Leafs to Las Vegas.

ADD:

Winnipeg

Quebec City

THUNDER BAY

REMOVE:

Clomubus

Florida

Pheonix

Remove:

Phoenix

Carolina

Florida

Atlanta

Nashville

Add:

Winnipeg

Quebec City

Hamilton

Halifax (why not?)

Hartford

I would move teh Leafs to Las Vegas.

To cause them off-ice problems?

I hate the Leafs but, lately, they earned my grudging respect. As much as the Leafs suck on the ice, they are the primary cash cow of the NHL.

I just have 1 question.. why are there 24 USA teams and only 6 Canadian teams???? The NHL has been around since 1917 and the 6 Canadian teams have won 41 Stanley Cups!!! AND HOCKEY IS CANADA'S GAME!!!!!! Why aren't there more Canadian teams??????? There should be teams in Winnipeg AND Quebec City, there were teams there before, so why not again??

I just have 1 question.. why are there 24 USA teams and only 6 Canadian teams????

I just have 1 answer.. there are 307 million people in the USA 33 million people in Canada!!!!

For sure, the city has embraced the team to a much bigger degree than I expected. Granted, OSU still takes 1st and 2nd priority. Just as an example, the local sports radio channel aired college football news all evening the day Hitchcock was fired. Still, I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised by their popularity. Our ECHL team in the 90's still holds the record for minor league consecutive sell-outs, albeit in a 5,000 seat "arena." They had a very loyal following, but at least back then, the ECHL was both wide open and full of fights, so fans got to see lots of goal and fisticuffs, which seemed to be the more popular of the two. I just didn't expect those fans to transition well to NHL hockey, but they have. I still see some familiar faces from the old days in the nosebleeds at Nationwide - the type of tickets Chill fans can afford, haha.

I for one like the Bucks.

Edited by DA_Champion

Tampa will have a really good team. What is the attendance like there?

Salt Lake City's MLS team is floundering, probably relocated to Montreal for 2012 (Montreal Impact) unless Montreal as a MLS team is an expansion team.

When the last NHL pre-season games were played in Salt Lake City, did they have good attendance?

The Impact are an expansion team like the Whitecaps are