The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mathieu Carle

AK-1

1 goal and 1 assist in his last game. :D Hopefully he starts heating up for the Bulldogs. I still think he can make the Habs, and I feel like he would be an under-rated player on this team. Someone who can play even-strength minutes, make a good first pass, and play the powerplay. What does everyone else think?

I've always like this guy; frankly I'd like to see get a spot on the 3rd pairing next year on a cheap contract.

On a side note, does anyone play Yahoo fantasy hockey? They mixed up him and Phili's Matt Carle in their default rankings, so someone in our pool auto-drafted our Carle :P . (Ironically it was a fellow Habs fan, probably the only other person in the draft who knows who he is)

I've always like this guy; frankly I'd like to see get a spot on the 3rd pairing next year on a cheap contract.

On a side note, does anyone play Yahoo fantasy hockey? They mixed up him and Phili's Matt Carle in their default rankings, so someone in our pool auto-drafted our Carle :P . (Ironically it was a fellow Habs fan, probably the only other person in the draft who knows who he is)

:lol: That actually happened to me too in the auto-draft. I was like huh? :huh: Are you suuure. But then just changed it up.

I noticed that, too. Luckily I was there in real-time for my selections. I was so confused as to why Yahoo had him ranked so high. :lol: Pretty bad that they got him confused with MATT Carle on Philly. I've heard several sports personalities make the same mistake.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wonder if it soon might be time to write-off Carle as ever making the Habs as a regular?

I wouldn't just yet. His main problem is that he's had a lot of injuries over the past few years, but he's been one of the better guys in Hamilton and he is still probably the closest thing we have to an NHL-ready D prospect still left on the farm. Next year may bring some turnover to the Habs D corps, depending on how many FA's we decide to bring in or bring back, so we'll see then whether management feels he is able to compete for a job. If the Habs decide to fill out the roster with vets again and we hang on to both Subban and Weber on the NHL roster, then I'd be willing to say that Carle is not going to play any kind of role for us.

I wouldn't just yet. His main problem is that he's had a lot of injuries over the past few years, but he's been one of the better guys in Hamilton and he is still probably the closest thing we have to an NHL-ready D prospect still left on the farm. Next year may bring some turnover to the Habs D corps, depending on how many FA's we decide to bring in or bring back, so we'll see then whether management feels he is able to compete for a job. If the Habs decide to fill out the roster with vets again and we hang on to both Subban and Weber on the NHL roster, then I'd be willing to say that Carle is not going to play any kind of role for us.

He was drafted in 2006, a year before Subban and Weber are drafted.

Nothing worse for a prospect than major injuries between draft day and NHL debut. Our two worst first rounders of the decade are Kyle Chipchura and David Fischer, and it's no coincidence they had major injuries between draft day and NHL debut. Carle had multiple major injuries. He's now a top-4 dman -- at the AHL level. It's sad, but I don't think he'll be making it to the NHL in a regular capacity.

Right now he might make it for example if we had two more injuries to our D-corps in the next 5 or 6 games, they need to be close enough together that Gauthier might not have enough time to make a trade. This is in addition to the 2 injuries (Markov+Gorges) we already have. These are the low probability events Carle needs to make the NHL.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Great news to hear Matt's been given a Q-Offer.

I think Carle, Emelin, Diaz and Nash will provide a great training camp battle for the final spots in the rotation and will help to keep the returning vets on their toes.

The problem for Carle is that he is way down the depth chart. In front of him are Markov, Gorges, Gill, Subban, and Spacek and likely Emelin given that he has the out clause to leave (probably once and for all) if he doesn't make the NHL squad. If Weber remains a defenceman, he too will be ahead of Carle and that means that at best (never minding Diaz or anyone else), Carle will be battling for an 8th spot if one is available. In all likelihood, his best bet will be to start the season in Hamilton and hope he gets a shot due to injuries at some point later in the year.

The problem for Carle is that he is way down the depth chart. In front of him are Markov, Gorges, Gill, Subban, and Spacek and likely Emelin given that he has the out clause to leave (probably once and for all) if he doesn't make the NHL squad. If Weber remains a defenceman, he too will be ahead of Carle and that means that at best (never minding Diaz or anyone else), Carle will be battling for an 8th spot if one is available. In all likelihood, his best bet will be to start the season in Hamilton and hope he gets a shot due to injuries at some point later in the year.

The fact they qualified him means that the team actually approves of his play, which is surprising given his playing time the last two seasons.

Is this the year he makes the NHL?

Not sure, if we have enough injuries maybe, but I would say Diaz and Nash are currently ahead of him on the depth chart. He has to step up his game and stay healthy if he wants a shot at Les Canadiens.

It seems every year we say this has to be the year that Mathieu Carle prematurely makes the jump. The last time he was seriously injured was 2008-20009 (concussion/head injury) and missed part of 2009-2010. He is still only 23 years old, had a very decent productive season with the Bulldogs last year and was a key player in the AHL playoffs.

I'm not certain that he is slated behind both Diaz and Nash on the depth chart (could be). In any case he does represent a reasonaqble amount of depth for the Habs should someone be injured or not stay with the Habs.

It seems every year we say this has to be the year that Mathieu Carle prematurely makes the jump. The last time he was seriously injured was 2008-20009 (concussion/head injury) and missed part of 2009-2010. He is still only 23 years old, had a very decent productive season with the Bulldogs last year and was a key player in the AHL playoffs.

I'm not certain that he is slated behind both Diaz and Nash on the depth chart (could be). In any case he does represent a reasonaqble amount of depth for the Habs should someone be injured or not stay with the Habs.

Im just assuming so. As Nash received a call up last year I wouldn't be surprised for him to get another. And with Diaz being older and more experienced, however theres a lack of room for him in the NHL, so I figure hes going to have to start the season in Hamilton unless Weber is moved to wing.

Im just assuming so. As Nash received a call up last year I wouldn't be surprised for him to get another. And with Diaz being older and more experienced, however theres a lack of room for him in the NHL, so I figure hes going to have to start the season in Hamilton unless Weber is moved to wing.

Not a bad assumption. Very good reasoning... and that's why I said could be ;) Diaz is still an unknown quantity as far as the AHL and NHL are concerned. And Klubertanz had a good year also.

Nash received the call-up over Carle because Carle would have to clear waivers first and would have been picked by another team most likely.

Not sure, if we have enough injuries maybe, but I would say Diaz and Nash are currently ahead of him on the depth chart. He has to step up his game and stay healthy if he wants a shot at Les Canadiens.

Based on their play last season I would say Carle is ahead of Nash.

What is it that this young man is missing? On the surface he seems to have all the qualities of an NHL defenceman. the signing of Diaz was not good for Matt. Someone that watches the Bulldogs please explain to me why this 6 foot 200 + lbs right handed smooth skating puck-moving d-man hasn't earned the teams trust? Is he not physical enough? Poor decision making? It just seems that by now, he would have earned a long hard look with the big club. Now, it does appear as though he is AT BEST number 9 on the depth chart: Markov, Subban, Gorges, Gill, Spacek, Emelin, Weber, Diaz...

Please explain what's lacking.