The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Players who are smaller have an uphill battle trying to make the NHL roster and the same can be said for players who are younger too. If a guy who's 23 or 24 has a decent camp and a guy who's 18 or 19 displays a similar level of play, the team is going to take the 23-year old most of the time because there's an extra level of maturity and experience playing with pros. I realize Avtsin has playe din the KHL but he's still only 19 and could likely fill out his frame a bit more. I would put the odds against him making the team even with an Eller injury. I think he will get the chance to play in Hamilton and if he really blows people out of the water he'll get a chance, but the best bet is for him to get get some developmental coaching and learn the Habs system before being thrown into the Montreal fire.

Players who are smaller have an uphill battle trying to make the NHL roster and the same can be said for players who are younger too. If a guy who's 23 or 24 has a decent camp and a guy who's 18 or 19 displays a similar level of play, the team is going to take the 23-year old most of the time because there's an extra level of maturity and experience playing with pros. I realize Avtsin has playe din the KHL but he's still only 19 and could likely fill out his frame a bit more. I would put the odds against him making the team even with an Eller injury. I think he will get the chance to play in Hamilton and if he really blows people out of the water he'll get a chance, but the best bet is for him to get get some developmental coaching and learn the Habs system before being thrown into the Montreal fire.

Agreed, I am just hoping that he has that potential.

"Did not look out place.

On first glance you get the impression that he is already a professional hockey player. His hockey sense, on-ice intelligence, is quite high, yet you can tell he is absolutely geared towards being an offensive machine.

He had 3 breakaways/penalty shots in the rookie game today for the Red Squad, but could not finish any of them.

By the looks of things, he appeared to be pretty tired by the end of the scrimmage and, although he is a well-built player with good weight and size, his endurance levels need a serious boost.

Despite the rough edges that need to be worked out, I really like the potential he brings to the franchise and am excited to see how quickly he develops in Hamilton. I wouldn't be surprised if he popped onto the team's radar by January."

AS PER STEVEN HINDLE

Someone has a position to fill if Eller is injured, it wouldn't surprise me to see Avtsin take that spot.

I have a feeling the toughest guy in camp may be a Russian and his country has Ian in it. Alex has got the kohonees to earn a spot in the Habs lineup that's my thought, and Schultz will make it on ability.

Some players skill level will make it detrimental to send them to the AHL.

I think most GM's knew his skill level they just didn't trust the Russian factor.

Learning to play on smaller ice can be accomplished at the NHL level and when players have a high skill level some stay at the NHL to learn.

SBah, I think your expectations are a little too high based on what as been written and players signed with NHL contracts.

I have a feeling the toughest guy in camp may be a Russian and his country has Ian in it. Alex has got the kohonees to earn a spot in the Habs lineup that's my thought, and Schultz will make it on ability.

What information did you use to conclude that he has any kohonees?

I'm thinking that most of the male gender has them and the russians found out about it and gegan cloni8ngt after all their losses agaqinst Team Canada. :D:P:lol:

I'm thinking that most of the male gender has them and the russians found out about it and began cloning after all their losses against Team Canada. :D:P:lol:

I'm thinking that most of the male gender has them and the russians found out about it and gegan cloni8ngt after all their losses agaqinst Team Canada. :D:P:lol:

I'm thinking that most of the male gender has them and the russians found out about it and began cloning after all their losses against Team Canada. :D:P:lol:

You said he had the most! Whatever

Yep, just like Darche last season.

There's one major difference between Darche and Avtsin however...Avtsin is blessed with natural athletic skill sets and prowess that Habs brass is hoping translate over into a solid NHL career...Darche, however, is more of a work horse and has had to grind for almost a decade in the minors (on and off) to get to this point...

-grumblegrumble- i just got ownd on an eashut mach their top line was eller, kostisyn and avstin, hope he and eller play as well as they do in the game in real life :P i'm excited to see him make the club in the future.

-grumblegrumble- i just got ownd on an eashut mach their top line was eller, kostisyn and avstin, hope he and eller play as well as they do in the game in real life :P i'm excited to see him make the club in the future.

It's so gratifying to see these new prospects beginning to show their value to the fans and the Habs. I hope he's as good as the europeans figure he is top line scoring forward.