Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ColRouleBleu

Jeff Halpern

250 posts in this topic

Halpern is one of those players that slip into the lineup that aren't noticed. Until you look at who's stopping the opposition in the big games and he takes all the big faceoffs and checks his line into submission.( Look under unsung heroes)

Good effort, but seemed to be running out of steem later in the game. Conditioning?

Edited by brianw6

Good effort, but seemed to be running out of steem later in the game. Conditioning?

Probably just too much PK duty.

Probably just too much PK duty.

I think he got crunched a few times too... great in the circle (maybe he should start the powerplay there and then come off)

Halpern and Boyd give the Habs four centers that are NHLer's which makes the Habs deep down the middle. Which has been a weak spot in the roster and the opposition knew it. Now with a full healthy defence there will be no weak spot through the Montreal Canadiens lineup. There will be no easy points when teams play the Habs this season. There will be lots of Happy Hab Fans.

Halpern and Boyd give the Habs four centers that are NHLer's which makes the Habs deep down the middle. Which has been a weak spot in the roster and the opposition knew it. Now with a full healthy defence there will be no weak spot through the Montreal Canadiens lineup. There will be no easy points when teams play the Habs this season. There will be lots of Happy Hab Fans.

I still don't think we're strong down the middle. Almost every team has four "legitimate" NHL centers. Just because they're NHLers doesn't make them great players compared to other centermen around the league. If Plekanec goes down, is Halpern going to fill the void? I doubt it.

I still don't think we're strong down the middle. Almost every team has four "legitimate" NHL centers. Just because they're NHLers doesn't make them great players compared to other centermen around the league. If Plekanec goes down, is Halpern going to fill the void? I doubt it.

thats why i wanted to keep moore

i still wish we did

No Eller would fill the void .

I agree. I never felt like Halpern was brought in just in case of injuries. to one of the top guns. That's Eller's role. Halpern is taking Moore's place at half the cap hit. Granted not many games have been played but Halpern is 4th in faceoffs won. And I'm hoping he can relieve Pleks somewhat in the penalty killing department.

I like the signing. Tomorrow night Halpern and Moore meet each other. Should be interesting.

Based on what? About 10-15 games on NHL experience with two goals? We're as weak as we've always been down the middle. Halpern is no solution on offense, and we haven't yet seen if Eller is a capable offensive player at this point in his career.

Based on what? About 10-15 games on NHL experience with two goals? We're as weak as we've always been down the middle. Halpern is no solution on offense, and we haven't yet seen if Eller is a capable offensive player at this point in his career.

I think this is a tad unfair. No, eller doesnt have a lot of experience, but they didnt use that as an excuse when Staal took the 3rd centre spot in pittsburg. Eller has shown he has the potential to be an extremely solid NHLer - almost a lock for a 2nd line centre with an outside chance at a #1.

As for the rest of the centres.... Gomez/Plekanec is as good (if not better) a 1-2 punch as a least 23-24 other teams in the NHL. No, we're not going to get mistaken for Pittsburgh or Detroit or SJ but those are the aberrations. In our bottom six we have some very capable centres (Halpern, Boyd, Eller) as well as some natural centres playing wing (Laps, White, Pyatt etc) plus we have some guys in Hamilton who may very well be close to a promotion.

Again, I dont think we're even close to the "elite" at centre, but imho we've become a LOT stronger at the pivot position than we used to be even 2 or 3 years ago. Halpern isnt the "reason" we are, but he's one of the parts in the sum. Some has been through trades, some through drafting and some through maturing, but overall we're better at centre than we have been for a while.

I think this is a tad unfair. No, eller doesnt have a lot of experience, but they didnt use that as an excuse when Staal took the 3rd centre spot in pittsburg. Eller has shown he has the potential to be an extremely solid NHLer - almost a lock for a 2nd line centre with an outside chance at a #1.

As for the rest of the centres.... Gomez/Plekanec is as good (if not better) a 1-2 punch as a least 23-24 other teams in the NHL. No, we're not going to get mistaken for Pittsburgh or Detroit or SJ but those are the aberrations. In our bottom six we have some very capable centres (Halpern, Boyd, Eller) as well as some natural centres playing wing (Laps, White, Pyatt etc) plus we have some guys in Hamilton who may very well be close to a promotion.

Again, I dont think we're even close to the "elite" at centre, but imho we've become a LOT stronger at the pivot position than we used to be even 2 or 3 years ago. Halpern isnt the "reason" we are, but he's one of the parts in the sum. Some has been through trades, some through drafting and some through maturing, but overall we're better at centre than we have been for a while.

I can agree with some of what you're saying, but not all. I'm not sure how the Staal comparison comes into play concerning Eller. Two different players, two different teams, two different supporting rosters. Eller has exactly nine games of NHL experience and only two points to show for it. Jordan Staal is only one year older and already has four successful seasons of hockey under his belt, including a forty-two point rookie season. Eller has shown some good play through two games with Montreal, but I cannot believe (at this point) that he's going to look good all season long. He may falter and have a terrible year.

I agree that our overall competency at the center position is looking okay. However, we still lack a number one line center. We have Plekanec, but he's also another player with something still to prove after a disappointing 2008-2009 season. He bounced back awesomely last year, but needs to show that same consistency over the next few seasons to really solidify himself as a top line guy. Gomez... <_< Well, I don't feel very good about Gomez. Halpern adds to that general betterment of the bottom-six, but when it comes to the bottom-six, I'm not too concerned. As long as you're a decent face-off man and know your assignment, what else really matters? No one you have named in the bottom-six is going to contribute enough points to make or break our season. The question is, can someone step up if one of our top-two goes down with an injury? I say no.

There s a big difference between staal and eller. size is one of them.

Eller has 50 odd points in 70 odd AHL games, 2 goals in what 10 NHL games.

Stall had 29 goals as an 18 year old in the NHL.

No comparison

Eller has shown some good things so far but to say he is a top line or top two center at this point is just wishful thinking.

He could very well develop like pleks or he could even end up like Maxwell

Edited by caperns

I can agree with some of what you're saying, but not all. I'm not sure how the Staal comparison comes into play concerning Eller. Two different players, two different teams, two different supporting rosters. Eller has exactly nine games of NHL experience and only two points to show for it. Jordan Staal is only one year older and already has four successful seasons of hockey under his belt, including a forty-two point rookie season. Eller has shown some good play through two games with Montreal, but I cannot believe (at this point) that he's going to look good all season long. He may falter and have a terrible year.

I agree that our overall competency at the center position is looking okay. However, we still lack a number one line center. We have Plekanec, but he's also another player with something still to prove after a disappointing 2008-2009 season. He bounced back awesomely last year, but needs to show that same consistency over the next few seasons to really solidify himself as a top line guy. Gomez... <_< Well, I don't feel very good about Gomez. Halpern adds to that general betterment of the bottom-six, but when it comes to the bottom-six, I'm not too concerned. As long as you're a decent face-off man and know your assignment, what else really matters? No one you have named in the bottom-six is going to contribute enough points to make or break our season. The question is, can someone step up if one of our top-two goes down with an injury? I say no.

It also depends if you want to look at other natural centers we have playing wing. Keep in mind Cammy and Pouliot are both natural centers. I think we're better equipped to deal with an injury to a top 6 center than we have been in years.

Losing someone like Pleks would be a disaster; but more because he is our best player rather than a lack of depth at center IMO.

It also depends if you want to look at other natural centers we have playing wing. Keep in mind Cammy and Pouliot are both natural centers. I think we're better equipped to deal with an injury to a top 6 center than we have been in years.

Losing someone like Pleks would be a disaster; but more because he is our best player rather than a lack of depth at center IMO.

"Natural center" or not... Cammalleri and Pouliot haven't played center since coming to Montreal, as far as I know. Pouliot is barely a top-six winger. He doesn't seem equipped to handle the defensive rigors of being a top-six center. Cammalleri could slide over to play a roll down the middle if necessary, but then you are still losing a top-six wing position. There's also no guarantee that Cammalleri would even play well moving back to center. I stand by the opinion that Habs' fans constantly over-rate our depth (including at center) and that we are not much more strong down the middle than we have been for the past five years. No amount of players the calibre of Jeff Halpern are going to change that.

Edited by jennifer_rocket

The true test of strength down the middle is the faceoffs won which gives control of the puck and increases time with the puck at even strength, on the PK and PP. Getting the puck from the faceoffs can only help, then the Habs are not chasing the puck all night.

There is no team in the league including Pittsburgh or Detroit that could replace their top centerman with their fourth line center. Halpern is a fourth line center and he is alright at it. As mentioned, he is a good faceoff man, responsible, can kill penalties and at a small cap number. Not saying he is outstanding but we have plenty of depth to fill in for an injury on our bottom two lines. This is better than what we could say a few years ago. Obviously, if Plekanec or Gomez get hurt we will not be able to plug someone in and get the same production (unless a guy really overachieved) but neither can anyone else in the league. When you mention Staal, you are talking about the best third line center in the world imo and the penguins have to sacrifice talent on the wings even on their top line because of this. Our depth at center is improved but we still only have 2 guys that can be regarded as top six.

I still want moore :/

boucher said he would feel comfortable playing moore in the top 2 lines, if he had to o.o or something like that

I know it's only 4 games in but it seems like Halpern is filling Moore's role quite nicely, and for 50% off!

Halpern and Boyd give the Habs four centers that are NHLer's which makes the Habs deep down the middle. Which has been a weak spot in the roster and the opposition knew it.

We had four center's that were NHL'ers last year

Gomez

Pleks

Moore

Metropolit

Boyd and Halpern replace Moore and Metropolit

We were small and weak at the centre spot last year and IMO we are still small and weak

The true test of strength down the middle is the faceoffs won which gives control of the puck and increases time with the puck at even strength, on the PK and PP. Getting the puck from the faceoffs can only help, then the Habs are not chasing the puck all night.

Explain why this team usually spends the night in their own zone getting out shot and why the HABS were terrible at scoring 5 on 5 last year .......and maybe the same this year

Edited by Regis

Winning 63% of his faceoffs.. what a beast.

Yeah... crazy good in the circle... maybe the Habs should have him start off the power play eh :huh: