The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jeff Halpern

ColRouleBleu

Honestly with all the talent we have to bring up to the big club in the coming seasons, that's probably not happening. Halpern is good at his assignment (winning faceoffs and being solid on the 4th line), but he'll never be more than a 3rd line center and the young guys will bump him off the depth chart eventually. I wouldn't even be surprised at all if we got rid of him over this offseason.

Halpern was never expected to be more than a defensive centerman with an offensive upside.It will be great to see one of our centers make him expendable,but keeping him in the fold until that time is why they signed him.

With Halpern playing right-wing on a top-six line with Plekanec it begs the question, to me at least, whether a trade is in the works. It hasn't been unusual that JM uses bottom-six players in the top-six (Moen, Lapierre, Darche, Pyatt etc.) but Halpern (who has probably looked the best of the bunch with his play so far) remains a bottom-six just as the others do. And that means a top-six could still be on the radar.

Halpern seems to give the team balance by playing on the Pleks line. Most lines are two line combos. Pleks - Cammi is the combo. Halpern is good at face-offs, good defensively, and has better hands then Moen for example. It would be nice to have a sniper or 100% offensive player on the Pleks line but the rest of the team then has other issues or the results do not live up to the expectations. Our team is offensively challenged. By putting Halpern on the Pleks line we have better overall balance of offense and defence on all of the lines. This should allow JM to use 4 lines for the remaining games and playoffs.

OK, I think I've had about enough of the Halpern as top-2 line man. It's time to have a go again with Kostitsyn, Pouillot or Eller.

Halpern should have had two goals last night against Tampa but he cannot, for the life of him, keep his stick on the ice around the opposing crease. The first instance he was too busy shoving the defender (who wasn't on him at all) into the net and knocking it off it's mooring. A beautifully fed pass (Pleks, I think) to Halpern instead slid through the crease and out the other side. Instead of a goal, the referee blew the whistle and the face-off was outside the zone as a Hab player (Halpern) had caused the net dislodge.

He has little offensive sense around the net, and seems lost; offensively, the line works as a two-man line.

OK, I think I've had about enough of the Halpern as top-2 line man. It's time to have a go again with Kostitsyn or Eller.

Eller should have had two goals last night against Tampa bu he cannot, for the life of him, keep his stick on the ice around the opposing crease. The first instance he was too busy shoving the defender (who wasn't on him at all) into the net and knocking it off it's mooring. A beautifully fed pass to Halpern instead slid through the crease and out the other side. Instead of a goal, the referee blew the whistle and the face-off was outside the zone as a Hab player (Halpern) had caused the net dislodge. He has little offensive sense around the net, and seems lost.

Eller as wing is a disaster waiting to happen, as we have already seen.

Kostitsyn has played horribly whenever he get "promoted" to a top line after his slumps this year.

So why try the same thing again? There's that line "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting something different".

He has little offensive sense around the net, and seems lost; offensively, the line works as a two-man line.

Indeed. I'd say even Moen brings more to the table in a top-six capacity than Halpern. I agree that it's time to end the Halpern top-six experiment. We can't afford to have Cams and Pleks playing a man down in the offensive zone at all times.

Eller as wing is a disaster waiting to happen, as we have already seen.

Kostitsyn has played horribly whenever he get "promoted" to a top line after his slumps this year.

So why try the same thing again? There's that line "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting something different".

Pouillot then. Hey, put Weber up there with them when Spacek comes back. I don't care.

This isn't Semenko playing with Gretzky and Kurri. Cammy and Pleks need someone with some tiny inkling of what to do in the offensive zone; how to keep your stick on the ice in the crease, for example.

Pouillot then. Hey, put Weber up there with them when Spacek comes back. I don't care.

This isn't Semenko playing with Gretzky and Kurri. Cammy and Pleks need someone with some tiny inkling of what to do in the offensive zone; how to keep your stick on the ice in the crease, for example.

I don't understand why you're getting so worked up on this. Having 4 scoring lines has worked beyond expectations for now.

I don't know if anybody else noticed it, but Halpern made an incredible "save" on a wraparound attempt which would otherwise have been successful since Carey was stuck on the far side of the net. It was pretty early on, and I'm not sure how he played the rest of the game...but credit where credit is due.

I don't know if anybody else noticed it, but Halpern made an incredible "save" on a wraparound attempt which would otherwise have been successful since Carey was stuck on the far side of the net. It was pretty early on, and I'm not sure how he played the rest of the game...but credit where credit is due.

Yep, I noticed it too, and good on Halpern for saving our bacon on that play. That said, he's brutal as a top-six forward, and particularly on the Pleks line, where you need speed and vision to be effective (Halpern has neither of these qualities). He's a dead loss on the line. Plekanec and Cammalleri are only producing now on the PP, away from Halpern. I like many things Jacques does but I don't like Halpern on that line.

Saw that, definitely saved a goal for sure.

Yep, I noticed it too, and good on Halpern for saving our bacon on that play. That said, he's brutal as a top-six forward, and particularly on the Pleks line, where you need speed and vision to be effective (Halpern has neither of these qualities). He's a dead loss on the line. Plekanec and Cammalleri are only producing now on the PP, away from Halpern. I like many things Jacques does but I don't like Halpern on that line.

The line is a tough situation because it spends so much time matching up against other team's top lines due to Plekanec that when there's 2 sub par defensive wingers (Cammalleri being one) we tend to run into long term problems, but it's also relied on to be a scoring line. I'm not sure what the solution is, just put Gionta on there and figure out a solution for Gomez who has less responsibility anyway?

The line is a tough situation because it spends so much time matching up against other team's top lines due to Plekanec that when there's 2 sub par defensive wingers (Cammalleri being one) we tend to run into long term problems, but it's also relied on to be a scoring line. I'm not sure what the solution is, just put Gionta on there and figure out a solution for Gomez who has less responsibility anyway?

Yep, I'd try Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta (which also had success earlier in the year), and then Pouliot-Gomez-Desharnais, sliding Halpern down to center White and Pyatt. At this point, by keeping Halpern on the Pleks line we are effectively negating any chance Cammalleri has of getting hot in time for the playoffs, which we will absolutely need IMO. We're not going get past the first round unless Cams rediscovers his game.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate him on the Pleks line but I have to give him his props. Wonderful patience waiting until Fleury had committed before feathering a nice pass to Cams for the one-timer.

Can we expect him back for the last two games of the regular season (to get in shape a bit) and the first round? We could really use him. And it would be nice since he would have three weeks of rest and be fresh.

• 2 weeks later...