The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The best answer to that question would have been Bill Guerin. Big guy, plays in the corners and in front of the net and has been able to score his whole career. Debatable what his production will be like without Crosby, but I think he would have been a solid veteran to have in case AK or Pouliot faltered. At this stage, I believe he would have signed for something in the 1 million range. Obviously now there is no cap space for him nor is there an evident roster spot, but he is one of the few players left who I think would have been an upgrade of sorts for the Habs.

Guerin has been a great player and team player, if he can be had for 1mill. he would be a steal.

Guerin has been a great player and team player, if he can be had for 1mill. he would be a steal.

I prefer the help at center, over a winger, even if it's Bill Guerin. I don't think he would sign for a mil. anyway. Don't get me wrong, i love Guerin, but i believe signing Halpern makes more sense for the team.

I prefer the help at center, over a winger, even if it's Bill Guerin. I don't think he would sign for a mil. anyway. Don't get me wrong, i love Guerin, but i believe signing Halpern makes more sense for the team.

Signing Halpern makes sense in terms of ability to win draws. But as far as centermen go, we have 7-8 forwards who will likely make the team who could potentially play center (if you include guys like Cammy, Pouliot, Pyatt, etc.). I don't know that we have a guy from hamilton who could do what Guerin does, mainly in front of the net and bringing size and experience. I feel like Halpern definitely brings some things we don't have but I think it's also easier to make up for what he brings with other guys in the system.

He will wear number 15 this year according to Montreal Canadiens Twitter.

Perhaps they should retire this number too - Maurice Richard's original number before taking the number 9.

This is an amazing pickup imo. It means Plekanec and Gomez don't need to spend as much time on the PK, saving their energy.

To those saying we should save ice time for young players like Ryan White, I'll point out that Ryan White's ceiling is more or less to be as good as Jeff Halpern, if everything goes right for him. Ryan White also has a higher cap hit than Halpern.

Edited by DA_Champion
This is an amazing pickup imo. It means Plekanec and Gomez don't need to spend as much time on the PK, saving their energy.

To those saying we should save ice time for young players like Ryan White, I'll point out that Ryan White's ceiling is more or less to be as good as Jeff Halpern, if everything goes right for him. Ryan White also has a higher cap hit than Halpern.

Halpern is of the same ilk as players like Joe Juneau and Radek Bonk and Glen Metropolit in terms of the role he will play here. Lower-line centre, used in defensive roles, might score a bit... it's true that White has a higher cap hit, but I see White as being a more physical player and the big upside is that he could be playing here for years, whereas Halpern is likely a one- or two-year player and then moving on. I still think Halpern will contribute this year and he is great value for the contract we gave him, but I feel equally as strong that a player like White or another young player could have brought something to our team too.

Seems as though Eric Belanger would have been available after getting duped by the Caps... he signed on with Phoenix.

Would Belanger have been a better option than Halpern?

I would have to say, yes.

Is there a vast size difference? I know Belanger is smaller, but he also put up something like 20 more points than Halpern did last season. He's got the French connection thing going, too. Belanger, IMO, would have been a good choice!

I would have to say, yes.

Is there a vast size difference? I know Belanger is smaller, but he also put up something like 20 more points than Halpern did last season. He's got the French connection thing going, too. Belanger, IMO, would have been a good choice!

I think they're the same height but halpern has maybe 15lbs on belanger.

IMHO they are extremely similar players. Halpern put up less points last year, yes, but he was in a different role than Belanger for most of the season. Different team philosophies, different linemates etc. Put them in the same situation with the same quality of mates & same icetime & i think you'd find their numbers would be much more in line with one another.

It is my hope that either would be a depth move anyway - if just 1 or 2 of our youngsters step up, these guys will see far less quality ice time meaning whichever was on the team is moot.

Just my 2¢

I like the signing, as I think he's a player that fits in well with the established philosophy of our bottom lines. Even though it does feel like "more of the same" that we see every summer (filling "role" and depth players rather than landing the big ticket guys) I'm glad that we do recognize the need for strong third and fourth line players. I would like to see a bit more focus in improving our scoring talent on a year-to-year basis, however.

I like the signing, as I think he's a player that fits in well with the established philosophy of our bottom lines. Even though it does feel like "more of the same" that we see every summer (filling "role" and depth players rather than landing the big ticket guys) I'm glad that we do recognize the need for strong third and fourth line players. I would like to see a bit more focus in improving our scoring talent on a year-to-year basis, however.

IMHO the problem was never those signings - Smolinsky, Bonk, Metro etc etc. The problem was that they were always signed with the hope that they could "play up" or "step up" or be a good "2a" centre. Now Halpern is signed with the full expectation he will be a 3rd or 4th liner. No one is looking for him to give help to our top 6 - in fact, I cant imagine a situation where he would have to step into that group as we finally have talent & depth up front.

Great work by gauthier to finally "get it" - you sign your top guys, make sure you're set in the top 6 and then, see whats left over. You dont go throwing $1.5 - 3m to guys in the bottom half of the roster & then go looking for your top 6 afterwards.

IMHO the problem was never those signings - Smolinsky, Bonk, Metro etc etc. The problem was that they were always signed with the hope that they could "play up" or "step up" or be a good "2a" centre. Now Halpern is signed with the full expectation he will be a 3rd or 4th liner. No one is looking for him to give help to our top 6 - in fact, I cant imagine a situation where he would have to step into that group as we finally have talent & depth up front.

Great work by gauthier to finally "get it" - you sign your top guys, make sure you're set in the top 6 and then, see whats left over. You dont go throwing $1.5 - 3m to guys in the bottom half of the roster & then go looking for your top 6 afterwards.

I can't remember where I read it but, it sounded like Halpern was waiting to sign with Montreal as soon as Price was signed. He had been waiting the whole summer to sign with the Habs, it's nice to see players wanting to come to Montreal to play again.

I can't remember where I read it but, it sounded like Halpern was waiting to sign with Montreal as soon as Price was signed. He had been waiting the whole summer to sign with the Habs, it's nice to see players wanting to come to Montreal to play again.

The playoff run likely helped with that too. I'm sure all the NHL players were aware of the mad support fans gave the team during the playoffs, and while many avoid Montreal because of the pressure, the great run and the enthusiasm that came with it certainly helps.

he looks alot like metro out there in his skating and both right handed shots. i didn't know much about halpren until he became a hab.

i watched him last night against ottawa, he looks to have above average speed and seems to have a good sense of the game.

he will help the third and fourth lines for sure. he will likely chipp in with some goals at even strengh also.

unless he scores 10 powerplay goals like metro i wont be too impressed seeing as he will be fighting for a team spot but he will recieve alot of pk time hopefully he blocks ons of shots and i want him to really be a leader well as much as he can be on the fourth line also i thought jeff halpern was alot bigger haha i thought he was 6'5 230 pounds haha i was wrong

• 2 weeks later...
I think they're the same height but halpern has maybe 15lbs on belanger.

IMHO they are extremely similar players. Halpern put up less points last year, yes, but he was in a different role than Belanger for most of the season. Different team philosophies, different linemates etc. Put them in the same situation with the same quality of mates & same icetime & i think you'd find their numbers would be much more in line with one another.

It is my hope that either would be a depth move anyway - if just 1 or 2 of our youngsters step up, these guys will see far less quality ice time meaning whichever was on the team is moot.

Just my 2¢

Agreed