The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jeff Halpern

ColRouleBleu

Halpern has done very well so far this year, but I still believe the Habs were wrong to fill all there roster spots with veterans and leave no place for a younger player like White, Palushaj, Pacioretty, or Desharnais for example to have a good camp and hook on with the big team. My issue wasn't so much with Halpern as a player so much as he was the last guy to be signed to fill out the roster and what that meant. No question the low salary made the deal a little more acceptable, but I would still have liked to have seen a younger guy's efforts rewarded. Boyd and Pyatt were virtually awarded roster spots but haven't done much yet and Moen could be easily replaced by White if he wasn't a vet making more money. I still believe we need to see the full year play out before we decide whether Halpern is a guy who should come back but he's looking good so far.

Regarding MaxPac (910k) and White (850k), they would each make more money in the NHL then Darche (500k), Pyatt (500k), Boyd (650k) and Halpern (600k). It all came down to numbers. There would have to be a somewhat significant margin between the young players and the vets in order to justify keeping the young gun. Not to mention that we'd need to keep at least one player in the pressbox as the 13th forward, and I'd rather it be a veteran than a young player who needs to play. We are tight on the salary cap right now, hence why Martin only wanted to carry 22 players until Markov came back from injury.

Despite that, I agree in essence that White could replace Moen and his $1.5M. Moen hasn't shown much to me so far.

Halpern... the Habs No. 2 centerman?

Maybe Halpern's resurgence will make some fans understand why we said goodbye to Dominic Moore this summer. Gritty third-line forwards who can chip in with offense are not a particularly hot commodity. They're easily found, easily replaced, and not worth overpaying. Halpern is making almost half of Moore's salary from last year and playing on a one-year contract. That, my friends, is a cap-friendly contract.

Maybe Halpern's resurgence will make some fans understand why we said goodbye to Dominic Moore this summer. Gritty third-line forwards who can chip in with offense are not a particularly hot commodity. They're easily found, easily replaced, and not worth overpaying. Halpern is making almost half of Moore's salary from last year and playing on a one-year contract. That, my friends, is a cap-friendly contract.

Agreed looks like Pierre has his eyes on the prize to me, the moves made this off season were all designed with our team in the playoffs and the youngsters are getting premium icetime in Hamilton.They are learning the game but not with the stress of being scared to make a play or mistake.

;) Second line center?

Nope. You're falling into the JM trap of promoting players into roles they shouldn't be playing. Young guys can still mature into roles, the way Plekanec established himself as the number one center on this team, but barring injuries, the law of averages says Gomez will pick it up and start scoring more and Halpern will slow down in terms of his offensive production.

Kicked in? :lol: I didn't see any kicking motion! :P I would have loved to see him get another goal. Maybe Saturday night!

It was clear on the super slomo replay

Dont get me wrong, I dont think it should have counted, but even on the slow-mo It didnt look like a "kick" to me - what it did look like was a redirect (i.e he turned his foot, but kept it on the ice & didnt actually make a kicking motion)

Still not a "fair" goal, but a little different nonetheless.

Dont get me wrong, I dont think it should have counted, but even on the slow-mo It didnt look like a "kick" to me - what it did look like was a redirect (i.e he turned his foot, but kept it on the ice & didnt actually make a kicking motion)

Still not a "fair" goal, but a little different nonetheless.

Pardon my French :P

Question: if there's a 'redirect' on the stick, does this count as a shot on goal?

Kicked in? :lol: I didn't see any kicking motion! :P I would have loved to see him get another goal. Maybe Saturday night!

I don't like the kicked in rule. It looked like he turned his skate to direct the puck into the net. But I guess no huge issue since we won the game. However if we had lost the game it could have made a huge difference for the playoff rankings. I personally would not consider turning the skate to be a kicking motion.

I don't like the kicked in rule. It looked like he turned his skate to direct the puck into the net. But I guess no huge issue since we won the game. However if we had lost the game it could have made a huge difference for the playoff rankings. I personally would not consider turning the skate to be a kicking motion.

Obviously, he was aiming to direct the puck to his stick but missed.

We're not playing soccer here... if you want to score, score with your stick - I would have waved the goal too.

I hope that Halpern is okay. Dirty hit from behind IMO. Didn't like how Halpern fell after the hit. The Flyers should try to play hockey instead of running around like a bunch of goons. I really hope that the NHL gives the Flyers player at least 5 games for the hit. Plus I believe that Powe also tried to take out Gorges with a hit to the head. Luckily Gorges must be one tough guy as he only missed one shift.

I hope that Halpern is okay. Dirty hit from behind IMO. Didn't like how Halpern fell after the hit. The Flyers should try to play hockey instead of running around like a bunch of goons. I really hope that the NHL gives the Flyers player at least 5 games for the hit. Plus I believe that Powe also tried to take out Gorges with a hit to the head. Luckily Gorges must be one tough guy as he only missed one shift.

There wasn't even a penalty for that hit (world class refs eh?)... I don't expect the NHL to do anything (even though its obvious they should)

There wasn't even a penalty for that hit (world class refs eh?)... I don't expect the NHL to do anything (even though its obvious they should)

Just saw it again on Express...Ugh...The refs in this game were stupid for letting that go. Guy's playing the puck, and it's a clear hit from behind. Idiots. If that was Briere that it happened to there would have been a 2, 5, 10-game.

Was a pretty but not super dirty hit by a friggin coward. His hit on Gorges was also an elbow up against a guy who had his gaze directed elsewhere. I got no problem with a player or a team wanting to hit and try to lay punishing ones but they should be clean ones (shoulder only) in situations where the recipient should know to expect it could happen. Even Fartnell's open ice check that spun Gio around was slightly dirty as Gio did not have the puck and he was looking elsewhere.

since the worst outcome of these hits was Halpern leaving the game with hopefully nothing more than a mild concussion, the league is not likely to punish anyone even though they were very similar to the type of hit they are supposedly trying to reduce (blindside type hits).

Was a pretty but not super dirty hit by a friggin coward. His hit on Gorges was also an elbow up against a guy who had his gaze directed elsewhere. I got no problem with a player or a team wanting to hit and try to lay punishing ones but they should be clean ones (shoulder only) in situations where the recipient should know to expect it could happen. Even Fartnell's open ice check that spun Gio around was slightly dirty as Gio did not have the puck and he was looking elsewhere.

since the worst outcome of these hits was Halpern leaving the game with hopefully nothing more than a mild concussion, the league is not likely to punish anyone even though they were very similar to the type of hit they are supposedly trying to reduce (blindside type hits).

- It was a hit from behind into the glass

- Halpern didn't see it coming. It wasn't like he turned his back at the last second.

- Powe hit the head first and he drove the head into the glass

- Halpern was clearly out for a few seconds from the way he fell, so the hit was hard enough.

That in my opinion justifies a suspension of at least 5 games. It qualifies as a blind-side headshot by the new rules as well as being a dangerous play leading to injury. In addition, he had already attempted a headshot earlier in the game. The league absolutely needs to step in and suspend Powe for this.