The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jeff Halpern

ColRouleBleu

It sucks, could have probably been a penalty, but I don't think it was suspendable. He really didn't come in super hard or fast, and he was looking at the puck the whole time. Really just trying to seperate Halpern from the puck IMO, but Halpern was in a really vulnerable/awkward position.

I hope he's not hurt long-term; he has played an extremely useful role so far this year. Anyone know whether he has had concussion issues before?

No suspension to Powe but the new news is that Halpern is fine and will play tomorrow :)

Of course no suspension, he's a Flyer. Now imagine Lapierre had done something similar... 5 games? He got 4 games for pushing someone from behind, so I think at least 5 for crunching sombody's head into the boards is reasonable.

Of course no suspension, he's a Flyer. Now imagine Lapierre had done something similar... 5 games? He got 4 games for pushing someone from behind, so I think at least 5 for crunching sombody's head into the boards is reasonable.

They'd give him 10 for being a repeat. The double standard in this league is disgusting, no wonder they can't keep a steady fan base in America.

No suspension to Powe but the new news is that Halpern is fine and will play tomorrow :)

100% unacceptable.

Now it will take a little more martial justice than what Lapierre was able to duke out. Either Moen or Gill or someone with a little more size needs to go and beat up Powe in a fight or else one of our guys needs to start targeting a Briere or Giroux. We have to let the league know that if they're not going to deal with an obviously dirty hit then we'll do the same right back at the Flyers and see what their reaction is then.

100% unacceptable.

Now it will take a little more martial justice than what Lapierre was able to duke out. Either Moen or Gill or someone with a little more size needs to go and beat up Powe in a fight or else one of our guys needs to start targeting a Briere or Giroux. We have to let the league know that if they're not going to deal with an obviously dirty hit then we'll do the same right back at the Flyers and see what their reaction is then.

Our player would be suspended no doubt.

100% unacceptable.

I say we bring up Henry for Monday's game to teach Powe and the flyers a lesson in respect.

- It was a hit from behind into the glass

- Halpern didn't see it coming. It wasn't like he turned his back at the last second.

- Powe hit the head first and he drove the head into the glass

- Halpern was clearly out for a few seconds from the way he fell, so the hit was hard enough.

That in my opinion justifies a suspension of at least 5 games. It qualifies as a blind-side headshot by the new rules as well as being a dangerous play leading to injury. In addition, he had already attempted a headshot earlier in the game. The league absolutely needs to step in and suspend Powe for this.

Absolutely no disagreement about any of these points. The only reason I called it a "not a super dirty hit" is because I was comparing it to the ugliest hits we have seen the past couple of years. I have no idea what criteria the league is using in judging these plays.

I agree he should be suspended but I figured he won't be suspended because the league is pathetic and it looks like I was right.

I think that either Boyd or White would be willing to drop the gloves with Powe. I think that Henry would be too big and mean so Powe would not agree to drop the gloves. However Boyd or White would be similar in size to Powe and they would give Powe a few good shots in a fight.

Halpern has been great on the PK and the PHD has been very good. Very glad that Halpern should be able to play on Thursday.

I think that either Boyd or White would be willing to drop the gloves with Powe. I think that Henry would be too big and mean so Powe would not agree to drop the gloves. However Boyd or White would be similar in size to Powe and they would give Powe a few good shots in a fight.

Halpern has been great on the PK and the PHD has been very good. Very glad that Halpern should be able to play on Thursday.

My thought was the Habs should bring up Conboy,White,Schultz,Henry and Bonneau as the starting lineup for Monday's game in Philly.Then we'll see about their petty little minds come up with then.

And waive 4 regulars? :lol:

Put them on injured reserve,and then Philly will get their wish a fight with the Habs.It's really sad to see the Flyers still trying to be the Bullies from Broad Street again 40 years after the Habs beat them at their own game.I guess they need a refresher course.Go Habs Go!

Jeff Halpren is proving to be a really good pickup. His defensive play, faceoff and overall game have been really good.

For a veteran to be bag skating on his own because he felt like he was going back to his old stride is really reassuring for his character.

He is certainly a more complete player than either Moore or Metro...He has been a really good signing.

For a veteran to be bag skating on his own because he felt like he was going back to his old stride is really reassuring for his character.

That was quite the thing to hear him say, I agree.

So do you guys see him sticking around longer than 1 season?

I think Metro and Moore showed us it's all about cap space when it comes to 3rd/4th line players. It'll mostly depend on how much money Jeff wants next year. We all know he's the type of guy JM likes, so he'll probably have an inside track on a lot of guys from Hamilton, as long as he's affordable.

That was quite the thing to hear him say, I agree.

I think Metro and Moore showed us it's all about cap space when it comes to 3rd/4th line players. It'll mostly depend on how much money Jeff wants next year. We all know he's the type of guy JM likes, so he'll probably have an inside track on a lot of guys from Hamilton, as long as he's affordable.

He was this year, and i think he shouldnt be increasing in value. So i hope baring his play doesnt become horrible i'd kinda like to keep him.

Btw where can i hear that quote at?

Probably not. I don't know. We always fall in love with our 3rd line centers. Then they always leave, we replace them with some else, and fall in love the new guy. If Jeff wants to stay, sure, he can stay. However, we're not in a position to pay our bottom-six forward much money given the other contracts we have.

Also, kind of premature to be thinking about it.

If he does what he's done for an entire year, I would offer him another season. He would likely need to be paid a bit more, maybe in the 800-900k range, but the job he's done on the PK and the face-off circle would be hard to replace. Metro, Moore, Bonk, and Juneau didn't do the same job he's done for us so far this year, so I think as far as 3rd-4th lien journeymen center go, he's doing as good a job as we could hope for. If the salary remains reasonable, then yes, I say he stays.

I really didn't think this guy would be able to replace to Dominic Moore.

Neither did I, what a pleasant surprise he has been so far. Kudos to Gauthier yet again, he pretty much does everything Moore did for us last year for half the Cap hit this year.