The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jeff Halpern

ColRouleBleu

Just read this on Habs I/O. Thought it was worth posting.

"If I get out of the Bell Centre early enough on game nights, I'm able to enjoy the 11:30 wrap-up on CKAC, featuring Dany Dubé's brilliant analysis.

Last night Dubé talked about Jeff Halpern. The veteran centre is a neighbour of Lars Eller (whom Halpern calls "Larry"), and they usually share a ride to and from practices.

Dubé says Eller has learned a lot from Halpern during their commuting conversations. And it is a tribute to the team spiritedness of the veteran centre that he's willing to befriend and teach a young player whose development will cut into his own ice time."

"If I get out of the Bell Centre early enough on game nights, I'm able to enjoy the 11:30 wrap-up on CKAC, featuring Dany Dubé's brilliant analysis.

Last night Dubé talked about Jeff Halpern. The veteran centre is a neighbour of Lars Eller (whom Halpern calls "Larry"), and they usually share a ride to and from practices.

Dubé says Eller has learned a lot from Halpern during their commuting conversations. And it is a tribute to the team spiritedness of the veteran centre that he's willing to befriend and teach a young player whose development will cut into his own ice time."

We've done good in this position in recent years.

Radek Bonk, Brian Smolinski, Glen Metropolit, Dominic Moore, Jeff Halpern... we consistently have elite 4th line centers.

Radek Bonk, Brian Smolinski, Glen Metropolit, Dominic Moore, Jeff Halpern... we consistently have elite 4th line centers.

Always an upgrade each year, Jeff Halpern being a player Bob Gainey has wanted for a few years.Finally he waited on hold for The Habs to resign Carey Price and he became a Hab.Great move and now we can see what the fuss over Jeff was all about.

I wouldn't call Smolinski elite in any way, shape, or form. He was terrible for the price tag and the value he provided. The rest have all been good value.

Sadly, though, the only way we can credibly use the word 'elite' is when we're discussing our third or fourth line. I'd much rather we had an elite scoring winger or an elite playmaking center.

You forgot Johnson who played with Bonk, I really like that line together. They even helped out with scoring from time to time... Like any good grinder line.

Like weep said, they're not really elite players... But they've been solid players for us.

Thinking back to Smolinski, he was one of the worst signings (3rd/4th liners) that we've had. All the other players mentioned have been solid signings.

I wouldn't call Smolinski elite in any way, shape, or form. He was terrible for the price tag and the value he provided. The rest have all been good value.

Sadly, though, the only way we can credibly use the word 'elite' is when we're discussing our third or fourth line. I'd much rather we had an elite scoring winger or an elite playmaking center.

I don't know if you'd call him elite or not, but I would take Pleks over many other NHL centers right now. B)

I don't know if you'd call him elite or not, but I would take Pleks over many other NHL centers right now. B)

First we're talking all other centers? We'll i'll agree with you, for this style team, there isnt anyone else i'd rather have. Datsyuk? nah he's like 32 now. i'd rather have pleks the extra few years :P

TSN mentioned Halpern in an article they wrote about how some of the best free agent pickups this season have come with small price tags. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There isn't much to say about Halpern really. After his hot start, he has cooled down production-wise but he does his job every night. Great on the PK, and his faceoff percentage of over 57% is very good.

Halpern is a really solid pickup and I for one hope he stays and signs on for a couple of years.

Halpern is a really solid pickup and I for one hope he stays and signs on for a couple of years.

Honestly with all the talent we have to bring up to the big club in the coming seasons, that's probably not happening. Halpern is good at his assignment (winning faceoffs and being solid on the 4th line), but he'll never be more than a 3rd line center and the young guys will bump him off the depth chart eventually. I wouldn't even be surprised at all if we got rid of him over this offseason.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly with all the talent we have to bring up to the big club in the coming seasons, that's probably not happening. Halpern is good at his assignment (winning faceoffs and being solid on the 4th line), but he'll never be more than a 3rd line center and the young guys will bump him off the depth chart eventually. I wouldn't even be surprised at all if we got rid of him over this offseason.

While I wouldn't be surprised either if we got rid of him, I really hope we don't. He is a guy that understands what kind of role player he is and he is good at his assignment. When defense becomes the focus in the playoffs, watch out for his ice time. I think it will increase by a good 2-3 minutes, and possibly even 5, assuming he doesn't stay with Pleks and Cammy.

Two very decent games for Halpern on the second line. Have been pleased with him in this role, and his being there is really nothing like Moen being there.

Pleasant surprise and he does add a little bit of a physical presence down low and at the crease.