The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

NFL

rosalie52

I predict that J. Harbaugh will win!

Now can you be a little more specific? dry.gif This is also the second matchup between teams that lost AFC and NFC titles the previous season. 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is the first starting quarterback in the game who began the season as a backup since Jake Delhomme in 2003.

A key factor for the Super Bowl: Will Baltimore be able to expose 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick's inexperience or will Kaepernick expose an aging Ravens defense that continues to struggle against the run despite the return of linebacker Ray Lewis? Another: San Francisco has the edge in rushing offense. The passing edge goes to Baltimore.

New Orleans fires defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo after one season. Secondary coach Ken Flajole is also being fired. Spagnuolo's defensive schemes couldn't have been any help as the Saints were easily the worst defense in the league surrendering an all time NFL worst 7042 total yards, breaking the old record of 6957 set by the San Diego Chargers ( I forgot what year). The Saints were last in total defense and rushing defense and were 31st in pass defense ranking ahead of only Tampa Bay. The Saints gave a second worst 454 points. Tennessee was worst at 471 points.

There is word that Payton didn't like how Spagnuolo handled things while Payton was gone.

Seattle linebacker Leroy Hill has been arrested for unlawful imprisonment - domestic violence and third degree assault - domestic violence after police say he assaulted his girlfriend and kept her in his house against her will. Both charges are felonies in the state of Washington. Hill has had two previous arrests for marijuana possession and fouth degree assault - domestic violence. A Seattle spokesman says the team is aware of the situation.

Some Key matchups for Super Bowl XLVII: San Francisco tight end Vernon Davis - Baltimore safety Ed Reed. Reed may be exposed in a one on one situation against Davis.

Baltimore offensive left tackle Bryant McKinnie - San Francisco linebacker Aldon Smith. While McKinnie has anchored down the Ravens' offensive line, he lacks the foot speed to consistently control Smith's rushes from the edge.

San Francisco offensive lineman Mike Lupat - Baltimore defensive lineman Haloti Ngata. Ngata's quickness off the ball will likey pose problems for Lupat which would give Ngata a few shots at 49er quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

One thing San Francisco must do win is stop the big play. Their secondary has been blowtorched for an average 322 yards in their two wins over Green Bay and Atlanta and have given up two 40 yard pass plays.

Baltimore needs to account for Colin Kaepernick and force him to beat the Ravens with his arm.

Super Bowl Sunday Baltimore - San Francisco 6:00 P.M. Two teams that feature a strong attack supported a solid passing game.

How Baltimore wins: Shut down the run and especially account for Colin Kaeprnick and force him to beat the Ravens with his arm. Get turnovers. Disguise coverages to confuse Kaepernick and expose his inexperience. Kaepernick enters the game with nine previous starts, the third fewest of any quarterback starting his first Super Bowl. Baltimore would likely be exposed in one on one coverage and Kaeprnick would be able to figure out the zone coverage. Speeding up the tempo to wear down the 49ers's front four. Also, drag the game into a dark alley as 49ers placekicker David Akers has struggled in the last few weeks, dinging the left upright on his last field goal attempt against Atlanta.

How San Francisco wins: Establish a pass rush that has been nonexistent in the playoffs and has resulted in the 49er secondary being blowtorched for an average 322 yards in their two playoff wins. Flacco will likely pick apart a secondary that will need to shut down receiver Torrey Smith as any quarterback will if there is no pass rush. Establish the run, speed up, the tempo to expose an aging defense that has continued to struggle against the run and has been lit up for an average 286.7 passing yard in Baltimore's three wins. Shut down the run and account for Ray Rice and take away a weapon for Flacco. A key receiver for San Francisco will likely be tight end Vernon Davis.

I have it on good authority that he's a Habs fan too. :lol:

So,,,,i actually watched some of the SB. Somebody asked me today who i thought would win? I don't follow the NFL at all, so i had to ask who was in it this year? My next question was ,,,who's the underdog? That's who i picked. Congrats Baltimore.

I have it on good authority that he's a Habs fan too. :lol:

So,,,,i actually watched some of the SB. Somebody asked me today who i thought would win? I don't follow the NFL at all, so i had to ask who was in it this year? My next question was ,,,who's the underdog? That's who i picked. Congrats Baltimore.

49ers were favored by five.

Baltimore 34 San Francisco 31. Key penalties, shoddy tackling, blown coverage, inability to execute in the red zone, and inability by San Francisco to make needed stops on third down allow Baltimore to hold on for a 34-31 win. The Ravens made the big plays when they needed to the most. Also, good play calling by Baltimore which kept the 49ers off balance.

The first penalty was when San Francisco lined up incorrectly which negated a 20 yard gain on the first play and the 49ers going three and out. Another was a pass interference penalty on third down in the fourth quarter on a play that could have been called defensive holding and kept a Raven drive going and offsides on third and seven which gave Baltimore another chance.

San Francisco also couldn't stop the big play, allowing a 57 yard touchdown pass to Jacoby Jones and failing to touch the down receiver and following it with two more botched tackles.

They also a allowed a Super Bowl record 108 kickoff to start the second half on a line drive kick in which the 49ers failed to pay attention the trajectory of the kick and assuming Jacoby Jones was going to take a knee for the touchback and got burned.

Baltimore was also able to capitalize on a fumble by 49ers running Michael James. It was a break in more ways than one since it occured on a play that should have resulted in a five yard loss when James was pinned against the sidelines. That would start a 75 yard touchdown drive that made the score 14-3. They also got an interception when Kaepernick's pass was overthrown and behind his intended receiver Randy Moss.

San Francisco started one last drive with 4:17 left that reached the Baltimore seven yard with 2:39 left. Poor clock management would stall the 49ers' last hope. First, allowing the clock to run down to the two minute warning and attempting three straight passes. Inattentiveness on Kaernick's part allowed the playclock to run down close to zero forcing coach Jim Harbaugh to burn their second timeout on third and goal. Rolling out Kapernick to one side or the other or using Frank Gore on a run would have made more sense since they had a tiring Balimore defense on its heels.

Baltimore would run the clock down to 12 seconds and took an intentional safety when San Francisco picked the wrong time to set up a punt return and got caught flatfooted. That one was definitely on Harbaugh.

Detroit Lions release wide receiver TitusYoung to no one's surprise. Actually, the surprise was they waited this long. Not only did Young line up incorrectly and intentionally, but also suckerpunched a teammate. It was at point he was told to stay away from the team. It's doubtful anyone will take him at this point.

According to Entergy New Orleans, Inc., The 34 minute power outage was caused by an electrical relay device. The device triggered signaling a switch to open when it should not have. The device has been removed from service and new replacement equipment is being evaluated.

The outage certainly gave momentum to San Francisco whose defense clearly looked overmatched up until the time of the power outage.