The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

NFL

rosalie52

The annual NFL draft begins tonight. Detroit will drafting at No. 10. Their biggest need is still in the secondary and one player suggested to fill that need is Justin Gilbert, a cornerback out of Oklahoma State. Other areas of need are a center, a guard, and a kicker.

Last night was the first for the NFL draft with Detroit selecting tight end Eric Ebron. One would think they would have selected someone like defensive back Darquese Dennard who was selected by Cincinnati since they still need help in the secondary.

Cleveland takes Johnny Manziel at No.22 overall. It'll be interesting to see if he continues to take off and run when he has open receivers, assuming he's not running for his life from an inconsistent offensive front and the likely suspension of receiver Josh Gordon.

Detroit made a move to address its defensive needs by taking linebacker Kyle Van Noy out of BYU in the second round, center Travis Swanson from Arkansas in the third, defensive back Nevon Lawson out of Utah State in the fourth, defensive end Larry Webster from Bloomburg, in the fifth, and defensive tackle Caraun Reed from Princeton in the sixth round. A kicker, Nate Reese from Boston College was taken in the seventh round.

Carolina defensive Greg Hardy has been arrested for an assault on his girlfriend in a domestic dispute. When police arrived, she told she had been assaulted and threatened. Hardy is being held in the Mecklenburg County jail without bond. The front office has issued a statement saying they are disappointed with his actions and the situation. It is not clear how this will affect upcoming contract negotiations.

A group of former NFL players has sued the league for illegally supplying players with painkillers and risky narcotics in an effort to maximize profits. The suit states players were not told of broken legs and ankles and the pills were administered to mask the pain. Players were also not told of the side effects and in many cases, the use of pills led to medical complications. Also, after years of use, many players retired addicted to painkillers.

What we have here is a case of players trying to get the NFL to pay for their rehab. How do these players not know they have a broken ankle or leg? They made a choice to use the painkillers and to spend their money as fast as they got it. Maybe their defense is if they hadn't lined up to get their shots, they would have lost their starting jobs to the draft picks made by their respective teams.

Buffalo Bills are my favorite NFL team.

Has been all my life.

Thats why the Habs are so special to me.

They are the only team I support that rewards me with winning seasons and playoffs!