Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kinot-1

Fans To Choose Three Stars

20 posts in this topic

According to todays Montreal Gazette posted online at 4:05, Fans will now choose the three stars of the game, staring with the Wed. game against Tampa.

Here is the entire text.

"MONTREAL - The Canadiens and Bell announced a new feature for Bell Centre games on Tuesday: The game’s three stars will now be awarded by the fans.

Whether by visiting canadiens.com/3stars, or by downloading the Canadiens smartphone application available Wednesday, fans will now determine the three stars selections for each Canadiens game.

First introduced in 1936-37, picks for the three stars were traditionally chosen by the media. Now, the Canadiens will transfer that responsibility to its fans for the first time in club history.

Fans will be given the opportunity to cast one set of votes per game. Whichever three players from both teams’ rosters receive the most votes will be awarded the game’s 1st, 2nd and 3rd stars, respectively.

Each vote a Canadiens player receives will count towards their Molson cup standings, determining the award’s monthly recipient and ultimately, the Canadiens player of the year.

Fans will be able to cast their first three stars vote beginning with the Canadiens home-opener versus the Tampa Bay Lightning Wednesday night at the Bell Centre."

I like it :)

Awesome idea....long time a coming...this is the way it should be,IMO.

That's neat, I like that idea a lot.

No one from the opposing team will ever get choosen lol.

Rocket, Rocket, Rocket.

There. I'm done for the whole season.

:D

Except Kyle Chipchura...

Except Kyle Chipchura...

And maybe Saku, Halak, and Kovy. :lol: Cindy could score 5 goals and wouldn't get a star. :lol::lol:

On edit,,,,,I wonder how long it will take for the other teams to follow suit.

Except Kyle Chipchura...
But of course!

Everybody loves hamsters.

Edit: People are gonna be like :huh:

Give the hamster some kool-aid already & he will get all three stars every night.

It will be interesting to see if anyone on another team gets picked when they are deserving of it.

Hate the idea. It's one thing to have knowledgeable fans picking the stars and a complete other to have anyone who wants sending in their choices. We've seen from all-star voting and other similar fan-based voting systems, that people stick to the players they like and who are more well-known. In other words, guys like Cammalleri, Subban, Markov and Price are more likely to get votes even if they play a similar-quality game to guys like Halpern, Hamrlik, or Auld. I think fans additionally tend to flock towards the players who scored goals, even though they may have been easy to score, while players who work hard, make intelligent plays, and put in a great night's work on D don't get recognized as much. The media does this too when voting, but it's more often the case that a guy who played will pick out a player or two who has made a substantial contribution in different facets of the game other than scoring. I think it's also quite foolish to award the first star to any player who scores a winning goal in a shootout, and anyone with any understanding of hockey should be able to see why. I realize why the Canadiens have done this, and it's nice to involve fans in the game as much as possible, but I don't give us much credit as a collective to recognize players who deserve to be recognized.

Hate the idea. It's one thing to have knowledgeable fans picking the stars and a complete other to have anyone who wants sending in their choices. We've seen from all-star voting and other similar fan-based voting systems, that people stick to the players they like and who are more well-known. In other words, guys like Cammalleri, Subban, Markov and Price are more likely to get votes even if they play a similar-quality game to guys like Halpern, Hamrlik, or Auld. I think fans additionally tend to flock towards the players who scored goals, even though they may have been easy to score, while players who work hard, make intelligent plays, and put in a great night's work on D don't get recognized as much. The media does this too when voting, but it's more often the case that a guy who played will pick out a player or two who has made a substantial contribution in different facets of the game other than scoring. I think it's also quite foolish to award the first star to any player who scores a winning goal in a shootout, and anyone with any understanding of hockey should be able to see why. I realize why the Canadiens have done this, and it's nice to involve fans in the game as much as possible, but I don't give us much credit as a collective to recognize players who deserve to be recognized.

I completely agree......this will be abused to the point of ridiculious........just like the all-star game held in Montreal a few years ago.....the hockey gods got their revenge that year to for that ballot stuffing

I tend to agree. Stupid idea. Komisarek an all-star anyone?

And with that, the three stars in Montreal have lost all value. They're now nothing more than a night-to-night popularity contest.

How exactly are they going to ensure that everyone has a fair shot? Are they going to make fans pick 3 stars from Montreal and 3 Stars from the opponent and then look at the top 3 out of both teams? 2 from the Habs and 1 from the opponent?? I rarely agree with the 3 star selections to begin with anyways, I'm sure I won't agree with them now.

Seems pretty silly for the reasons mentioned above...

but it will sure be fun to vote.

I wish All 80 games, Price on First Star forever!!!! but :unsure: hope not boo from ugly fans?

I agree with this sentiment also. Some guys won't stand a chance no matter what they do - unless perhaps they score the GW goal in the seventh game of the SCF - then they may get a crack at it. But some are hated so much that they may not be recognized in that case either. May as well just put half of the team on the ballot to begin with, if that.

Yes...........does bring back memories of Komisarek and Price. :lol:

But it will be interesting - probably laughable - but interesting.

Awesome idea....long time a coming...this is the way it should be,IMO.

Couldn't Agree More With you Guys ;)

Ugh, this will be embarrassing when some player on the other team has a 4 point night and loses his star to Travis Moen.

Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.

:P:);)