The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

I Don't Get It.

kinot-1

Guest habs1952

We've (well most of us), have seen some people, just pushing their life's envelope. I call these people, "Organ Donor Wannabees".

So, here's the story of one such fellow.

My friend and I rode up to Goderich, Ont. this past Sun. with the bike, and trailer, ( a good 1400# of weight and momentum)). As we were headed for the beach, which had a long winding, downward steep (about a 10% grade), road to it, about 1/2 down, I encountered a bicyclist (no mirrors, and no shoulder looks), coasting and about 4'-5' away from the curb. I had the motorcycle in 2nd gear, and was about 15' behind him and to his left, doing about 12 MPH.

I was debating whether I should pass him or not, but I would have to cross the center double line, when all of a sudden, he just turned left right across my path, didn't look, and didn't signal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just turned in front of me. :blink::blink::angry::angry::angry:

Needless to say, I honked (beeped?) my horn and had some choice words for him. He did turn his head, when he heard the horn, and definitely heard my "choice" words.

If I had hit him my friend and I would have walked away with minor damage to the bike. He, on the other hand would have had some leg injuries for sure, and his bike would have been totaled. BTW,,, he wore no helmet either.

He was one of those people that make me think "OK,,,, what are you up to?"

Why some people put their lives at risk is beyond me. :mellow:

Shoulda hit him. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
Ya know, some people just need a slap up-side their heads.

I was standing in line in Wally World, at the "16 items and under" checkout, and in front of me was a woman holding 4 long chocolate bars, a man who was pushing a cart with another two small items, as well as a young girl (approx. 8-9 years old), also in the cart.

As I kept an eye on them, they went to the checkout (with the girl still in the cart), thru the checkout and into the parking lot. They went to their car (with the man still pushing the girl in the cart) and it was only when they were passing the cart "corral", that the girl was lifted out of the cart, where she skipped another 50' to the car.

When my children were 4-5 years old,,,,, they walked. Seems like "dad" was enabling another generation of entitled children.

After relating that story, I'm reminded of 2 other stories, 1 of entitlement and another of my own youngest daughter, and how her mother and I brought her up.

1st the entitlement story. A few years ago, I and a woman friend, and her daughter (about 17 years old), were out one day and the mom told her daughter that her (mom) would give her daughter $200 to buy school clothes. Her daughter came out of the store with 1 pair of running shoes that cost $187 (that's something I remember). Her mom had a "discussion" (argument) with her daughter, but didn't take back the shoes (I would have and would have knocked down the $200 to $150 as punishment).

Now, back in the day, my daughter wanted a pair of shoes (name brand), that cost around $60 (at the time). I told her that she could spend $20 on a pair, and if she wanted the more expensive pair, she would have to come up with the rest of the money. She didn't like it, but she didn't have the money to buy the expensive shoes.

She (now almost 40 years old), has since told her mom and I that she was glad that we brought her up to realize the cost of everything, and that she appreciates how we raised her.

Ya know what I don't get,,,,, it's the people who release helium filled balloons. They release them for sadness (as in a funeral/memorial), or for happiness (a wedding).

Don't these people know that their balloons that they released can come down anywhere? These balloons (and by extension), Chinese lanterns, go into the sky and descend who know's where. Are these the same people that would throw out a plastic water bottle on the side of the road?

Now I'm not a tree hugger or a PETA person, but even I know that those people are harming the environment. Why don't they?

Guest habs1952
Ya know what I don't get,,,,, it's the people who release helium filled balloons. They release them for sadness (as in a funeral/memorial), or for happiness (a wedding).
Don't these people know that their balloons that they released can come down anywhere? These balloons (and by extension), Chinese lanterns, go into the sky and descend who know's where. Are these the same people that would throw out a plastic water bottle on the side of the road?
Now I'm not a tree hugger or a PETA person, but even I know that those people are harming the environment. Why don't they?

Getting kinda cranky in your old age eh?

• 1 month later...

Getting kinda cranky in your old age eh?

You're getting there too :P

Here's another thing I don't get. This is from an article in today's Globe and Mail.
"Police have released surveillance video they say shows a suspect toss coffee on a TTC bus driver in Vaughan, Ont. The footage released Wednesday by York Regional Police shows a man boarding the route 105 bus around 8 a.m. on June 8. Police said he exchanged words with the driver, who they say believed the rider had verbally abused him a month before.
He’s described as a white male, 5-foot-10 with a medium build and short, dark-coloured hair who was wearing a black jacket, blue shirt, dark-coloured pants, white running shoes and sunglasses. He was carrying a black and white patterned handbag."
Now,,,, here's the problem. Why did the police wait until a month and a half later to release the video? They had the video from June 8th, why not release it then, when peoples memories are better?
The video shows a very clear pic of the suspect.
< raises eyebrows

• 10 months later...