The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

James Wisniewski

frostyHAWK

what went wrong in ny with him?

He shouldn't be getting top pairing minutes. He's a number 4# defenseman with a wicked shot. He's still somewhat young and hopefully his Defense will improve

His defensive game was good during one or two months, and people thought that he was a top defenseman.

Then defensive breakdowns came. For some fans he reminded them of MAB, great offense and liability in his own zone...

In the end, with streit's injury and the first good games, there were great expectations and not so much support in NYI...

So may be you're right (and that's what I hope).

His defensive game was good during one or two months, and people thought that he was a top defenseman.

Then defensive breakdowns came. For some fans he reminded them of MAB, great offense and liability in his own zone...

In the end, with streit's injury and the first good games, there were great expectations and not so much support in NYI...

So may be you're right (and that's what I hope).

Wisniewski has shown some errors in judgment with the puck in his own end, but he's as good as MAB offensively, maybe even better because he seems to do a better job at the offensive blue line of keeping the puck in, and he's a more physical player. He's by no means big, but he can play a more rugged style, whereas MAb was muscled off the puck time and again. I still have faith Wis will pan out here and would want to re-sign him. The D cab be worked on and I'd like the coaches to shoot the puck more on the PP. The past 5-6 games, he's been trying to pass too much, even when he has open lanes to shoot.

Yup, on the islanders forum they all were saying he was a good defensemen not top 2 can be a 3 if need but more a 4/5 guy. He's much better than MAB and we're better with him than with out.

??

May be we don't read the same messageboard :huh:

After a the good period, I've read many fans who were unhappy.

But if it works, I won't complain, I'm just prudent.

??

May be we don't read the same messageboard :huh:

After a the good period, I've read many fans who were unhappy.

But if it works, I won't complain, I'm just prudent.

Ahh I was reading the fans responses to the trade. Most of them were a little p/o-d at the trade

From what I've seen, he's a #4 D-Man and is a great presence on the PP. Him and Markov would be dynamite.

Too bad he might never even play with Markov, depending on what happens in the offseason. There's no doubt that Wiz would benefit from being surrounded by more experienced players, which we just don't have this season thanks to the injuries to Gorges and Markov.

From what I've seen, he's a #4 D-Man and is a great presence on the PP. Him and Markov would be dynamite.

We definitely need to sign another top 2 D man for next season, preferably one who can be a shut-down guy, as we have a number of guys who can now play the PP. But if we do end up bringing back Markov and Gorges and ignore Spacek at present, our D core fills out like this:

Markov-Subban

xxx-Wisniewski

Gorges-Weber

I'm not saying those will necessarily be the pairings, but I believe that next season Markov and Subban can each be a top 2-3 guy and that Gorges can be a 5 guy who plays the PK and Weber a 6 guy who plays the PP. I think Markov and Subban can play both the PP and PK and Wis the PP.... so we would have 4 guys who can play the PP and 3 who can play the PK. If we can fill out the line-up with a guy who can be a key PK guy but also give us big minutes at even strength, I don't think we'd have to ask Wisniewski to be more than a 3-4 guy, so I think it could work. However, this also depends on Gorges and Markov recovering, being able to sign that key top 2-3 guy and finding a way to dump Spacek. Again, a guy like Regehr (or Seabrook if indeed he were available) could be a perfect fit in that corps.

That's assuming we don't keep Hamrlik or Gill though. I have a feeling at least one of them will be back next year. Especially if you factor in all the injuries we've had to our D lately, I'd rather have 1 extra D man than be 1 short and have to call upon weak players who aren't ready for big minutes.

That's assuming we don't keep Hamrlik or Gill though. I have a feeling at least one of them will be back next year. Especially if you factor in all the injuries we've had to our D lately, I'd rather have 1 extra D man than be 1 short and have to call upon weak players who aren't ready for big minutes.

Im usually bouncing around on who should we keep, Hammers been here for a while and can have a bit of an offensive streak at times and great with prospects, seems like a good person which is good for the organization.

Gill is a good shut down defender and has shown he can also deal with playing with prospects, don't forget the chemistry with Gorges is just great, and also good for the organization too.

Now wiz is really playing well from what I see but I wouldn't sign him long term 1-2 year deal between 1-3 mil per as of right now, you never know what could happen in the future good or bad.

Now wiz is really playing well from what I see but I wouldn't sign him long term 1-2 year deal between 1-3 mil per as of right now, you never know what could happen in the future good or bad.

I'd be really surprised if Wisniewski agreed to a short-term contract for less than 3 million per year. He's already making 3.25 million this year and is on pace for the most productive season of his career.

I'd be really surprised if Wisniewski agreed to a short-term contract for less than 3 million per year. He's already making 3.25 million this year and is on pace for the most productive season of his career.

Agreed. My guess is that he could get 4M on the open market (something similar to Streit)... I would think at best we would get him for 3.5M per year.

Agreed. My guess is that he could get 4M on the open market (something similar to Streit)... I would think at best we would get him for 3.5M per year.

At 26 years old, 40 plus point deeman, getting better defensively everyyear, he has to be worth 3.5 to 4 ... he can also be a physical force even though he is not that big...something our team lacks....I would try to lock him up on a 4 year contract for about 14 or 15 million.....Gill and Hammer gone ...7.5 million....3.75 for Wiz...Another 1.4 to Josh George to bring him up around 2.5 ..... take a gamble on markov for around 5mill for 3 or 4..you end up freeing over 3 million....markov and wiz, subban and josh george, weber and Spacek...would look good to me....or offer markov a one year deal around 3 to see if he can come back if not sign hammer for another year or two around 3 for a chance to get a player like wiz or someone come up like Subban

somehow me thinks no matter how fast I run that orange button could reach out & grab me at any moment :D

what can i say, orange is evil ;)

except for wiz's stick. that white spray paint on an orange stick is très cool .... but the dude has a lot of time on his hands to paint his sticks B)