Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DA_Champion

Hits to the head and other dangerous plays

506 posts in this topic

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110120/crosby-hockey-concussions-110120/

Opening paragraphs:

With NHL phenom Sidney Crosby looking unlikely to play this weekend's All-Star Game because of a concussion that has already sidelined him for two weeks, some are hoping this will be the turning point for a harder stance on head shots.

Crosby was injured after taking two hits to the head in two successive games.

The first came on Jan. 1, when he absorbed a nasty blindside hit from the Capitals' David Steckel in the Winter Classic. The second came courtesy of the Lightning's Victor Hedman on Jan. 5.

It is very ridiculous that neither of those guys received a game suspension. IMO, whenever a player is injured with a head injury, the other guy should be kept off the ice for up to a year with a possible exception made if it's the other guy that started the fight. That would disincentivize head shots real fast.

The best team should win games, not the team that has more injury luck.

Watched the Phi-Ott tonight and the game got out of hand late after the Flyers had taken a big lead. Of note, they again threw out their first PP unit when they were already up 6-2 with 5 minutes to go, something Mike Richards complained about us in the playoffs last year despite the fact his team has done the same thing over and over before us and since us. In any case, the point of this story is just to point out an example of the lack of respect players have for each other's safety... near the end of the game, one of the Sens D men was lying on the ice and Briere fell on top of him, reached down and punched his head into the ice... there was absolutely no reason for this other than Briere taking a cheap shot at someone's head. He of course went to run and hide when Ryan Shannon tried to fight him to defend his teammate. Guys like Briere are the reason there are still headshots that occur in this league: they have no respect for their opponents, they don't man up for their cowardly play, and the league let's them get away with it. If the league did a better job of policing these guys or if they let teams police themselves, I doubt we'd have so many cheapshots.

The league will have to police the teams. The teams aren't going to police themseoves.

^^ They won't if the league continues to insist on not allowing teams to police themselves/each other.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110120/crosby-hockey-concussions-110120/

Opening paragraphs:

It is very ridiculous that neither of those guys received a game suspension. IMO, whenever a player is injured with a head injury, the other guy should be kept off the ice for up to a year with a possible exception made if it's the other guy that started the fight. That would disincentivize head shots real fast.

The best team should win games, not the team that has more injury luck.

Probably, though Steckels hit in the WC was still nothing on Cookes on Savard tbh

Could Crosby Concussion Lead To Tougher Nhl Stance?

What I think it's going to lead to is only more 'protection for Crosby'. The rest will remain the same.

I agree with Sid the Kid.

But ..... I would have more time to listen to him if he'd talked to the point after Matt Cooke's severe head hit on Marc Savard.

One has to pick your principles, and consistently maintain their pecking order, to carry the big stick of authority.

Watched the Phi-Ott tonight and the game got out of hand late after the Flyers had taken a big lead. Of note, they again threw out their first PP unit when they were already up 6-2 with 5 minutes to go, something Mike Richards complained about us in the playoffs last year despite the fact his team has done the same thing over and over before us and since us. In any case, the point of this story is just to point out an example of the lack of respect players have for each other's safety... near the end of the game, one of the Sens D men was lying on the ice and Briere fell on top of him, reached down and punched his head into the ice... there was absolutely no reason for this other than Briere taking a cheap shot at someone's head. He of course went to run and hide when Ryan Shannon tried to fight him to defend his teammate. Guys like Briere are the reason there are still headshots that occur in this league: they have no respect for their opponents, they don't man up for their cowardly play, and the league let's them get away with it. If the league did a better job of policing these guys or if they let teams police themselves, I doubt we'd have so many cheapshots.

Mike Richards is a splendidly talented miscreant. He'll never be a memorable 'captain' because his dogma does not cut it. Not close. He strikes me as someone with advanced hockey sense, but not much common sense.

arena.jpg.GIF

Every arena has them so here is my solution to the issue of the stanchions and the players bench since open doors are also a safety issue. The same method could also be applied to the penalty box area. A 'NO HITTING INTO THE BOARDS' zone near the benches. A red rectangular area of solid colour or red diagonal lines beginning 4 feet before the protective glass ends on either end of the players benches and extending 6 feet from the boards. Body checking would still be allowed but checks into the boards would be prohibited.

arena.jpg.GIF

Every arena has them so here is my solution to the issue of the stanchions and the players bench since open doors are also a safety issue. The same method could also be applied to the penalty box area. A 'NO HITTING INTO THE BOARDS' zone near the benches. A red rectangular area of solid colour or red diagonal lines beginning 4 feet before the protective glass ends on either end of the players benches and extending 6 feet from the boards. Body checking would still be allowed but checks into the boards would be prohibited.

I love your suggestion why not implement it.

arena.jpg.GIF

Why don't people ever enforce these new, strong ideas, that can clearly fix things right away? How can we get the media to seriously talk about this great idea?

arena.jpg.GIF

I think that this would be great. Seriously. Any hits would result in automatic 2 min for soft check into the boards, 5 minute for hard / dangerous hit, and automatic 10 game if the other player is hurt. It is not realistic to spend millions changing every arena to add 4 feet of padding to the boards, glass, door openings and posts.

I think that this would be great. Seriously. Any hits would result in automatic 2 min for soft check into the boards, 5 minute for hard / dangerous hit, and automatic 10 game if the other player is hurt. It is not realistic to spend millions changing every arena to add 4 feet of padding to the boards, glass, door openings and posts.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/316432.html

RDS is asking for these ideas. Now's the time to suggest it. They'll consider it and talk about it. If anybody knows french forwards this idea to them.

Maybe Mario or Crosby will say something tomorrow. The Habs are in Pittsburgh for an afternoon hockey game. However maybe Crosby hasn't said anything because he was hit in the head twice in two different games and no suspension. So why rock the NHL boat when they didn't protect the player that was running away with the MVP race can be put out for months and no one is suspended? Just part of the game to get serious head injuries.

Maybe Mario or Crosby will say something tomorrow. The Habs are in Pittsburgh for an afternoon hockey game. However maybe Crosby hasn't said anything because he was hit in the head twice in two different games and no suspension. So why rock the NHL boat when they didn't protect the player that was running away with the MVP race can be put out for months and no one is suspended? Just part of the game to get serious head injuries.

But reality is if we don't do something soon there will come a time when there will be a fatal hit. We don't want that now do we? Surely we must do something to encourage at least a little bit more safety?

Surely we must do something to encourage at least a little bit more safety?

+1

arena.jpg.GIF

Thats an amazing idea, its like a no fly zone

To save on paint cost , they could make those zones in part with the trapezoid lines

I believe it may have been Umberger, although I could be wrong, and he too delivered the exact same type of hit we saw on Tuesday to Drew Doughty, although less violent and no serious injuries.

I posted this in the Pacioretty thread, and I think it belongs here.

This all comes back to the barbarian mindset we have about hockey. A check is supposed to be to remove the player from the puck, not to obliterate someone to send a message. It's this idiotic, Neanderthalic mindset that gets propogated by the Matthew Barnaby's, and Brian Burkes, and Don Cherry's of the hockey world. Hockey is a game about putting a small rubber disc into a mesh net. It's not about taking someone's head off just because they "had their head down". It's this culture of violence we have around hockey that causes all of this to happen. Go to your local rink and watch a peewee hockey game, listen to the parents up in the stands. They're all yelling at the kids to hit, to "kill him!" "clobber him!" and the like.

The alpha males have taken over this game, they've turned it into a game about killing each other in the name of "finishing your check". Anybody who even suggests making hitting penalties more strict is ridiculed, and any ideas to make the game less violent are immediately dismissed because "that's not hockey". I don't think we need to remove physicality from the game, it's a good part of it. Body checking needs to go back to being a skill, and needs to be less of a free for all. I highly doubt that Chara's hit would even be a 2 minute interference elsewhere on the ice, because it's this bone headed mindset of the higher ups in hockey that everyone needs to "finish their check". Pacioretty had played the puck up the boards long before Chara initiated contact, yet he gets a free pass because he was "finishing his check". Imagine in the real world, "Oh sorry officer, I saw that man run in front of my car, but I was just finishing my turn!"

Even the NFL, a league in which violence is inherent to the game is more controlled than hockey. There's regulations on how, where, who and when you can block, who can be tackled, where you can tackle (no head shots). I find it appalling that the NFL has done a better job with head shots than the NHL, when tackle football is inherently a violent game. I guess I'm just tired of the sport I love being reduced to Roman gladiator battles.

A recent quote from Down Goes Brown (leafs comedy blog), "Eliminating fighting would send a strong message to impressionable children that settling a dispute by knocking somebody unconscious with your fists is unacceptable; instead, use your rock solid shoulder pad like a gentleman would."

That's the society of hockey today. It's acceptable to run a guy over because "he had his head down". I'm just tired of seeing crap like this hit being pawned off as being "part of the game". I've been playing this game for about 10 years, and while I'm only 16, I've never felt like running someone's head into a post is "part of the game". The NHL is going to have to realize sooner or later, that they're alienating most of the US market with allowing this crap, if Mrs. Jane Doe from Idaho sees Pacioretty getting hit like that, and hears Gary Bettman say "it's part of the game", what do you think are the odds that Mrs. Doe doesn't want her kid playing hockey?

To truly change the game, we need to change the culture around it. 20 years of Don Cherry's Rock'em Sock'em Hockey is hard to undo.

Edited by Noob616

Now, I'm on the fence with the dirtiness of the Umberger hit. But if we compare his hit to the Chara hit, it seems like peanuts compared to Chara's hit, and I'm not referring to the end result; I'm referring to what Umberger did on the hit prior to impact. Umberger pushed Doughty backwards up into the bench and then Doughty seems to have slid into the stanchion. Did Umberger do that on purpose or just to finish his check? It's REALLY hard to tell because Doughty was playing the puck. But the key is that Umberger did NOT INCREASE Doughty's speed while he was going into the turnbuckle. Chara CERTAINLY did.

Dirty play by Chara was allowed by the NHL. Over many seasons. Shouldn't the real question be how is it possible that Chara has never received even a 2 game suspension before the hit on Max Pac? I am not a fan of the Leafs however recently Chara tried to put Grabovski out with two nasty hits from behind. At least one of these hits should have been against the new head shot rule. Magically no suspension for Chara. I am sure that Chara has given players concussions. Some could be because Chara is very big and very strong however I find it amazing Chara has never received a suspension. I think that there too many conflicts of interest at the NHL to rule against players. Let's see. The owner of the Bruins is head of the owners group. The Bruins owner has a large financial stake in NESN which therefore cannot be considered journalists. Colin Campbell has a son playing in the NHL. Oh and that son plays for the Bruins. Well if that is not a conflict of interest then nothing is. Why does a former 3rd line player get to decide what is a suspension? And Campbell gets paid $300,000 for this job. A federal judge in Canada and USA get paid far less then $300,000 so why not hire a retired judge to rule on the suspensions based on the NHL rule book. Mike Murphy predecided the decision to not suspend Chara because it was a telephone call. Not even an in-person meeting to discuss Chara attempting to cripple / kill another player with an ILLEGAL hit. It was ILLEGAL hit as the puck was not anywhere near the hit. Joe Thorton says that the Bruins get favourable treatment. Joe has been out Boston for many years. Joe is a former MVP of the NHL. I don't think Joe has anything against the Bruins. Joe is just telling the truth about the situation and doesn't want to see anyone crippled or killed on the ice. I really loved what Sedin said about the hit. The current MVP of the NHL didn't like the none suspension and didn't believe Chara when he said "I didn't know who it was that I was hitting" and "I didn't know about the metal post". Well that is ***** from Chara. Chara plays a lot of games against Montreal and this was the end of the 2nd period so even a complete moroon would have been able to know who the other players are on the ice by the jersey number, name on the jersey, type of hockey stick, skating style, face, and size. It is not like Max Pac is a small forward like some of the moroons are trying to say. Max Pac is 6'2". It just happens that Chara is huge at 6'9". Chara is free to do anything he wants in the future. Even a two game suspension would have allowed the NHL to give Chara a longer suspension the next time Chara kills a player. I have a serious question. What would have happened if Max had died? Would the NHL suspend Chara for lifetime or would the legal system have to step in with manslaughter charge? If the legal system would have had no choice but to charge Chara with manslaughter then why would it be wrong for the legal system to charge Chara with a criminal offense for the dangerous hit? I don't believe that throwing another player into the net, boards, glass, or metal posts is part of hockey otherwise we would see this type of "accident" every game. With players getting concussions, broken necks, crippled and dead as "normal" part of playing hockey. Well this is not a normal part of hockey. I love hockey. Hockey is about scoring goals, great saves, team work, and clean bodychecks. It is not about trying to take another players head off. I have no idea what the player contract says however gross neglience is supposed to trump contract law. The same idea occurs when you get a lift ticket for skiing. The ticket tries to say the ski facility is not liable. However the truth is that gross neglience on the part of the ski facility would result in the ski facility having to pay huge damages to the skier that is seriously injuried. I would consider the broken neck to be a serious injury. However I guess that this is really a civil lawsuit and not a criminal case. I am not sure I agree with this as what Chara did is not an accident unless Chara is proved to have the IQ of a moroon. Everyone else playing hockey knows the metal post and area near the benches are extremely dangerous so how could it be considered an accident. It is not like Max was trying to throw a big check and hit the post as part of the hit. Max was thrown into the post by the biggest player in the NHL. The same player that magically receives no suspensions for hitting players after a fight is over, hitting players after the whistle, hitting players when they do not have the puck and basically getting anyway with anything he wants to do as the NHL does not suspend Chara and the reality is there is no in the NHL that can stand up to Chara. However I seriously wonder if the NHL just opened a can of worms. What happens if Hammer accidentially puts his stick in Chara's face? Just part of the game so Hammer gets no suspension but the NHL gets lots of happy fans as they love the blood sport. And then next game Chara rips Subban head completely off. Must be part of the game of hockey. No suspension as it was Subban's fault for showing no respect to Chara. The goons, moroons who defend Chara, and Bettman have won. I think the NHL will lose millions of fans and potential players if they do not change their mind and suspend Chara. Even 2 games would be a good start. Then the next time it could be 10 games. And the next time lifetime. I really love the Montreal Canadiens. They play hockey. I hope they do not come down to the level of Chara, Pronger, and a few other goons that have no respect for other players. They will kill someone. Now that would be a good day for the NHL based on the reaction from Bettman, Campbell, and Murphy. They must believe that bad press is okay. I guess they also do not need sponsors and fans. They will not miss the millions of dollars that fans of the Canadiens put into the NHL. I guess I would just have to watch Curling in the winter. So far this is still a sport.

arena.jpg.GIF

That is one of the worst ideas I have ever seen. Being against the boards for a hit is safer. More players get hurt from being hit into the boards from a few feet out. Or are you also saying that if a player is standing out side the painted area and are hit and go flying into the boards would also be punished? That would pretty much make the centre ice area a hit free zone.

well well well... here's a short video of my friend brad marchand form tonight's game against columbus

http://www.twitvid.com/RTSLC

if you guessed he didn't get a penalty, you guessed correctly...