Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DA_Champion

Hits to the head and other dangerous plays

506 posts in this topic

Well lets hope Shannahan can remain somewhat consistent

FLYERS' SHELLEY SUSPENDED 10 GAMES FOR HIT ON BOYCE

Philadelphia Flyers forward Jody Shelley was suspended five pre-season games and five regular season games on Thursday for his hit from behind on Darryl Boyce of the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday night.

Boyce went to the dressing room following the hit with a broken nose but later returned to the game.

The incident occurred in the second period of Wednesday night's contest between the Flyers and the Leafs in Philadelphia.

After playing the puck behind the Flyers goal, Boyce was hit into the boards from behind by Shelley who was assessed a major penalty for boarding and a game misconduct.

"The video clearly shows that Boyce has his back to Shelley well before the contact," said NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan in a video explanation. "Boyce does not put himself in this position immediately prior to, or simultaneously, with the check. Shelley has time to avoid the check completely or at the very least minimize the contact.

"This is a clear violation of the boarding rule."

Following the game, the 27-year-old Leafs forward believed Shelley's hit to be against the rules.

"I think it was late for sure," said Boyce. "My back was to the wall so definitely not a clean hit."

The 35-year-old Shelley was suspended twice last season in the month of December for incidents involving Adam McQuaid of the Boston Bruins and Andrew Alberts of the Vancouver Canucks.

The Thompson, Manitoba native was levied two games for each infraction.

96939686-218x150.jpg

Don't mess around with Brendan..."This is a clear violation of the boarding rule."

waiting for someone to mention this, i haven't been this happy in a long time ;P

Good one Brendan

GO HABS GO :lol: :lol:

Blind-sided head shot from Phaneuf tonight on a Sabre. The Sabres player got up and skated away and Phaneuf, I believe, only got a 2 minute penalty. But this is the type of hit that could have put a guy out for the season with a concussion. It's exactly what the NHL wants out of the game. So now comes a true test of what we're going to get from Shanahan this year.

1. Is he willing to suspend a guy who is a bona fide player and not just a couple of 4th line goons?

2. Is he going to come down on a guy for a dangerous hit even though the player skated away?

In my opinion, it's not enough that the Sabre got up. The intent was there. The stupidity was there. And Phaneuf should sit for at least 3 regular season games.

Blind-sided head shot from Phaneuf tonight on a Sabre. The Sabres player got up and skated away and Phaneuf, I believe, only got a 2 minute penalty. But this is the type of hit that could have put a guy out for the season with a concussion. It's exactly what the NHL wants out of the game. So now comes a true test of what we're going to get from Shanahan this year.

1. Is he willing to suspend a guy who is a bona fide player and not just a couple of 4th line goons?

2. Is he going to come down on a guy for a dangerous hit even though the player skated away?

In my opinion, it's not enough that the Sabre got up. The intent was there. The stupidity was there. And Phaneuf should sit for at least 3 regular season games.

I'm curious to see what Shanahan will do in this case. So far I've liked what he's done including the video explanations about his rulings. If the NHL is serious about eliminating hits to the head (and thus far I'm not convinced they are) Phaneuf will get a suspension for that hit.

Wiz has been suspended infedinitely for an illegal check to the head on Minnys Clutterbuck.

Hearing pending.

Not gonna lie, Shanny is awesome so far. Hopefully its not a honey moon phase

I'm happy with the way Shanahan's been handling these suspensions so far. These hits need to end.

DECISION EXPECTED TODAY ON STAUBITZ, WISNIEWSKI SUSPENSIONS

The NHL is expected to hand down a pair of rulings regarding the length of suspensions for Wild forward Brad Staubitz and Blue Jackets defenceman James Wisniewski.

Staubitz and Wisniewski were suspended indefinitely Saturday pending a hearing and the completion of a review by the NHL's department of player safety. The hearings are set for today.

The suspensions stem from separate incidents that occurred in Friday night's game in St. Paul, which Minnesota won 4-3 in overtime.

Staubitz received a major penalty and game misconduct for checking from behind on Blue Jackets forward Cody Bass early in the third frame.

Wisniewski, meanwhile, received a minor penalty for an illegal check to the head of Minnesota forward Cal Clutterbuck, after time had expired in the third period.

Both players have been previously suspended by the NHL.

The bans will be the latest in a busy pre-season for new Senior Vice President of Player Safety Brendan Shanahan who has already punished Buffalo Sabres forward Brad Boyes, Philadelphia Flyers forward Jody Shelley and Calgary Flames forward Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond.

The remainder of the pre season and 8 reg season games for Wiz

I like what Shanahan is doing .

Campbell would never have given these type of suspensions

I just hope Shanahan stays consistent

The remainder of the pre season and 8 reg season games for Wiz

I like what Shanahan is doing .

Campbell would never have given these type of suspensions

I just hope Shanahan stays consistent

We'll know next time chara or Ovy takes a run at someone.

Shanahan has far exceeded my expectations and re-enforced my opinion of Campbell as a buffoon.

I'm impressed so far, however as FirstStar said, we'll see what happens when a star player takes a run at somebody.

Have you guys seen these videos that Shanahan has been releasing explaing why he's making the calls that he's making? I just found out about them today, but maybe I'm late to the party :lol:

If he keeps this up throughout the regular season, I'd have to say that this is the single best thing that's happened to NHL discipline in a long time. It's not as easy to spout some line about a "clean hockey play" when you have to say it while showing everyone slow-motion video of a guy getting his head smashed through the glass.

What a great idea. *applause*

Have you guys seen these videos that Shanahan has been releasing explaing why he's making the calls that he's making? I just found out about them today, but maybe I'm late to the party :lol:

If he keeps this up throughout the regular season, I'd have to say that this is the single best thing that's happened to NHL discipline in a long time. It's not as easy to spout some line about a "clean hockey play" when you have to say it while showing everyone slow-motion video of a guy getting his head smashed through the glass.

As i mentioned in the game thread.....When he applies his discipline without prejudice when a Bruin is involved,,,,then i'll give him credit. Until then,,,,it's all smoke and mirrors IMO.

As i mentioned in the game thread.....When he applies his discipline without prejudice when a Bruin is involved,,,,then i'll give him credit. Until then,,,,it's all smoke and mirrors IMO.

I love the videos, I think they are a great idea to improve transparency over what Colin Campbell was doing. But other than getting tired of Shanahan introducing himself, there are a couple of problems still:

1. First and foremost, this still does not address the issue of suspensions that are NOT handed down. If the league reviews a play but doesn't suspend a guy (take the Dion Phaneuf hit on Ryan of the Sabres the other night for example), there is still no affirmation as to why no call was made. Yes, I understand Phaneuf made some contact with the body too, but he makes contact with the head as well and the big thing for me is that it is a clear blindside shot. The message I take from this is that it's ok to take a blindside crack at your opponent's head so long as you also throw part of your body into his at the same time. This doesn't make any sense to me and I'd like the NHL to explain this too.

2. As HTL mentioned, this still does not allow us to compare suspension to suspension. In the past week, for example, I'm not sue I understand the difference between what Letourneau-Leblond did and what Staubitz did. They were both vicious hits from behind from a guy that skated from quite a distance to make the check. Yet L-L got 1 regular season game and Staubitz got 3. Both have prior suspension histories. Both made similar checks. So what is the difference? I think we're going to have to wait for a larger sample size before we can say how consistent Shanahan is being with with numbers.

Tom Sestito of the Flyers with a hit from behind on Deveaux of the NYR... suspension pending.

I think at this point, they need to suspend the Philly coach for a game too because this team just doesn't get it and doesn't care. Suspending a guy who just got demoted to the minors does nothing to cub any of this behavior. Hit them with a team fine and a coach suspension too.

Tom Sestito of the Flyers with a hit from behind on Deveaux of the NYR... suspension pending.

I think at this point, they need to suspend the Philly coach for a game too because this team just doesn't get it and doesn't care. Suspending a guy who just got demoted to the minors does nothing to cub any of this behavior. Hit them with a team fine and a coach suspension too.

Lil extreme, but it make that for teams/players/coaches to finally get the message.

Anyone who's watched hockey for years or who have played it knows that an enforcer doesn't go on the ice until he's told to by his coach. Back in the 70's and 80's, enforcers sat at the end of the bench, waiting for the coach to walk by and put his hand on their shoulders.

For years coaches have been getting off while the player who was sent on the ice (by his coach), gets all the discipline. Making coaches accountable imo is a good idea.

Seriously, if something like this happened in real life, everyone involved would be receiving charges. If you hire someone to kill another person, you're just as guilty as the person committing the crime, in hockey you're not.

I say it's about time the hold the coaches accountable.

Lil extreme, but it make that for teams/players/coaches to finally get the message.

Anyone who's watched hockey for years or who have played it knows that an enforcer doesn't go on the ice until he's told to by his coach. Back in the 70's and 80's, enforcers sat at the end of the bench, waiting for the coach to walk by and put his hand on their shoulders.

For years coaches have been getting off while the player who was sent on the ice (by his coach), gets all the discipline. Making coaches accountable imo is a good idea.

Seriously, if something like this happened in real life, everyone involved would be receiving charges. If you hire someone to kill another person, you're just as guilty as the person committing the crime, in hockey you're not.

I say it's about time the hold the coaches accountable.

Coaches are fined if their player comes off the bench to start a fight, as what happened to Randy Carlyle for the JF Jacques incident, regardless of whether Jacques acted alone or under order. If a guy comes out with a hit that could be deemed unintentional or "in the heat of the action" then it's hard to blame the coach. But in the case of the Flyers, it's just one suspendable offence after another and at a certain point, I think you need to hold the coach and the organization accountable. In Sestito's case, he received 2 regular season games. So what? He isn't even going to be on the NHL roster to start the year, so do the Flyers even care? And what's to stop a team like Philly from simply calling up a player to act as a goon and if he gets suspended, they merely replace him with another spare part. Do the Flyers really hurt by missing Shelley? Not even. To me, the Flyers and Bruins are the two organizations who continue to play reckless hockey, with the only difference being that the league actually suspends the Flyers from time to time. But when it comes down to it, suspending bit players like Shelley, Sestito, or Paille does little to hurt the team, whereas some of the guys they are injuring are huge parts of other teams' rosters. I think that teams that have multiple suspensions have to be hit with coach suspensions too.

Coaches are fined if their player comes off the bench to start a fight, as what happened to Randy Carlyle for the JF Jacques incident, regardless of whether Jacques acted alone or under order. If a guy comes out with a hit that could be deemed unintentional or "in the heat of the action" then it's hard to blame the coach. But in the case of the Flyers, it's just one suspendable offence after another and at a certain point, I think you need to hold the coach and the organization accountable. In Sestito's case, he received 2 regular season games. So what? He isn't even going to be on the NHL roster to start the year, so do the Flyers even care? And what's to stop a team like Philly from simply calling up a player to act as a goon and if he gets suspended, they merely replace him with another spare part. Do the Flyers really hurt by missing Shelley? Not even. To me, the Flyers and Bruins are the two organizations who continue to play reckless hockey, with the only difference being that the league actually suspends the Flyers from time to time. But when it comes down to it, suspending bit players like Shelley, Sestito, or Paille does little to hurt the team, whereas some of the guys they are injuring are huge parts of other teams' rosters. I think that teams that have multiple suspensions have to be hit with coach suspensions too.

As sad as it is to sad Ted, teams have been calling up players from the minors just to rough up a star on the the other team for decades now.

Coaches and the organization need to be held accountable and not just for players jumping off the bench to scrap.

"I'm Brendan Shanahan, the NHL's senior vice-president of player safety". I've heard that phrase too many times already and this is just the preseason. Will the players ever learn?

So who can tell me the difference between the Boyes hit for which he was suspended two games and the Neil hit on Grabovski the other night, where there was no suspension? The Neil hit on Boyce was clean, but in the Grabovski case, he catches him in the head.

Another comparison would be between the Smith on Smith shot in the Det-Chi game last night. That was a shot to the head too, but he also got some body and it was face to face. Yet Smith has been called in for an in-person hearing, which usually means they want to give more than 5 games. Yet Phaneuf, who also dished out a headshot, getting a piece of shoulder on the hit just like Smith, got zero games. And to boot, Phaneuf's was a blind-side head shot. What's the difference? If anything, shouldn't Phaneuf receive a stiffer suspension than Smith?

Still not sure I understand the logic behind some of these calls.

Check out thought #12:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2011/09/hockeys-giving-spirit-shanahans-tough-gig-what-drives-corey-perry.html

Friedman thinks that there might be a few videos throughout the year about why people don't get suspended. I hope this actually happens, at least in cases where someone is injured

So who can tell me the difference between the Boyes hit for which he was suspended two games and the Neil hit on Grabovski the other night, where there was no suspension? The Neil hit on Boyce was clean, but in the Grabovski case, he catches him in the head.

Another comparison would be between the Smith on Smith shot in the Det-Chi game last night. That was a shot to the head too, but he also got some body and it was face to face. Yet Smith has been called in for an in-person hearing, which usually means they want to give more than 5 games. Yet Phaneuf, who also dished out a headshot, getting a piece of shoulder on the hit just like Smith, got zero games. And to boot, Phaneuf's was a blind-side head shot. What's the difference? If anything, shouldn't Phaneuf receive a stiffer suspension than Smith?

Still not sure I understand the logic behind some of these calls.

My understanding is that the Neil/Grabovski hit was ruled an accidental collision between 2 players.

Edited by habs1952