The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Don Cherry

it wasn't that bad. it was hyperbole.

He was just trying to get across that hockey players are playing with a lot of heart.

Agreed. I've lost some respect for mclean over the years, with his unwillingness to stand up against Cherry or the league. But that said, these comments were not made to be malicious. He probably should have realized there would be some backlash before he said them, but I also feel like people are ready to jump on any comment that broaches a touchy subject and make a bigger deal out of it than it has to be. mclean didn't have any intent to disrespect the job the firemen did and I think everyone knew that and still accused him of it. This is a non-issue to me, frankly.

Agreed. I've lost some respect for mclean over the years, with his unwillingness to stand up against Cherry or the league. But that said, these comments were not made to be malicious. He probably should have realized there would be some backlash before he said them, but I also feel like people are ready to jump on any comment that broaches a touchy subject and make a bigger deal out of it than it has to be. mclean didn't have any intent to disrespect the job the firemen did and I think everyone knew that and still accused him of it. This is a non-issue to me, frankly.

People tend to do that all the time. I remember seeing a motivational speaker who was of African heritage, he said black people and the whole gym gasped. He told them all to calm down and what he said was in no way racist. People do that all the time.

But I read Macleans book, it really highlights what his thoughts really are and talks about why he sometimes has to let Cherry do what he wants. If you haven't read it I recommend it, I couldnt put it down and was actually a little upset when I finished it :lol:

• 1 month later...

I hope that was sarcasm JK. :rolleyes::lol:

Is that self promoting old man still around. CBC should have fired him and his side-kick years ago.

IMO CBC should have a revolving Coach's Corner with the likes of Bowman, Keenan, Demers, King etc.

Not a fan of Keenan but he had a good idea a few years back. When your opponent gets a minor you have choice of PP or penalty shot. The potential for strategy is immense.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

:lol: 4 months .....he'll be quite raring and wound up too go Saturday night.... :rolleyes:

hummm.....can't wait to hear him rant off about poor Burke,and how shameful the leafs head crew should be :lol:

I honestly changed the channel for half of tonight's Coach's Corner, Cherry seems to get worse every year.

- Starts out with Cherry's ego talking about how he was the only one who predicted we'd start around Jan. 15 (not remotely true btw) and how he was right about Kadri (who is apparently a success after playing one period of hockey ...).

- (I change channel)

- (I stupidly come back to CBC)

- ignorant commentary about lockout that leaves out 75% of the story

Next week I'll make sure I stay on another channel for more time. Please just give the spot to Friedman who is the one credible analyst HNIC actually had the brains to hire.

I honestly changed the channel for half of tonight's Coach's Corner, Cherry seems to get worse every year.

- Starts out with Cherry's ego talking about how he was the only one who predicted we'd start around Jan. 15 (not remotely true btw) and how he was right about Kadri (who is apparently a success after playing one period of hockey ...).

- (I change channel)

- (I stupidly come back to CBC)

- ignorant commentary about lockout that leaves out 75% of the story

Next week I'll make sure I stay on another channel for more time. Please just give the spot to Friedman who is the one credible analyst HNIC actually had the brains to hire.

Join the club. I turned that buffoon off years ago.

If you want a good laugh, go read Don Cherry's twitter. Scroll down a bit and you see him rambling about his goldfish, christmas tree farmers, Canadians in the CHL, and then he was talking about Gomez saying "he never lived up to the contract MTL signed him too".

As for his show last night, he was seriously in fone form. Xenophobia, arrogance, rambling, and throwing in a shot at US College Hockey all at once. As if Bozak, Kessel, and Gardiner (the NCAA grads in TO) are why the Leafs suck. It frustrates me that he gets airtime on a public broadcasting corporation.

If you want a good laugh, go read Don Cherry's twitter. Scroll down a bit and you see him rambling about his goldfish, christmas tree farmers, Canadians in the CHL, and then he was talking about Gomez saying "he never lived up to the contract MTL signed him too".

As for his show last night, he was seriously in fone form. Xenophobia, arrogance, rambling, and throwing in a shot at US College Hockey all at once. As if Bozak, Kessel, and Gardiner (the NCAA grads in TO) are why the Leafs suck. It frustrates me that he gets airtime on a public broadcasting corporation.

It amazes me too, but people tend to watch that type of garbage entertainment. Look at that honey booboo (or whatever) show. Stupidest reality show on TV, yet it's still running. Is it possible Cherry's related?? :lol:

I dislike the guy,,,,at least "on-air". I know he does a lot of community and social work, and for that he gets a thumbs-up, but, IMO, he is just too brash on air. I don't know how McLean puts up with him.

I watched him on Sat. and now I'm done with him for the season. I'll switch to RDS whenever he's on.

I dislike the guy,,,,at least "on-air". I know he does a lot of community and social work, and for that he gets a thumbs-up, but, IMO, he is just too brash on air. I don't know how McLean puts up with him.

I watched him on Sat. and now I'm done with him for the season. I'll switch to RDS whenever he's on.

McLean puts up with him because the bosses have ordered him to do so. It won't change until more people do like you and i,,, stop watching (which i've done for the last few years). I think Cherry Booboos days are numbered.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

One more reason to have Don Cherry fired... called the Boychuk high hit on Toews (which appears to have resulted in a concussion) "a beauty" hit... still doesn't get it, and neither does the CBC for not removing him from the air. He continues to teach children and minor league hockey players that it's okay to play dirty hockey, and that's not okay to me by any means. Cherry and his antics, along with the CBC's Toronto-centric broadcasts are the main reasons I watch all the games on RDS, and this behavior tonight only solidifies that view.

One more reason to have Don Cherry fired... called the Boychuk high hit on Toews (which appears to have resulted in a concussion) "a beauty" hit... still doesn't get it, and neither does the CBC for not removing him from the air. He continues to teach children and minor league hockey players that it's okay to play dirty hockey, and that's not okay to me by any means. Cherry and his antics, along with the CBC's Toronto-centric broadcasts are the main reasons I watch all the games on RDS, and this behavior tonight only solidifies that view.

I couldn't understand it either Ted. IMO, the hit was high, from behind and just a dirty play by boychuck. But back to your point about Cherry, We all know that he likes the rough stuff, but sometimes you have to draw the line.Any hit to the head (IMO) is a dirty play (save for the accidental ones) . Hockey fans and player, of all ages watch the SCPOs (and in turn Cherry), and a whole lot of them are at an impressionable age. That type of "hit" could result in a career ending injury. Cherry calls that a "beauty hit",,, c'mon Don,,,you know better.

There should be no distinction between heatshots and accidental headshots.

Has anyone ever heard of a deliberate car collision? Of course not, they're called car accidents for a reason.

There should always be consequeces for your actions. If you're the type of player who makes millions off of heavy hitting, then you are at risk of punishment if your style of play leads to injuries of another player.

Any player who steps on the ice accepts a level of risk to injury.

Any player who steps on the ice should also accept a level of automatic consequence for his action.

It's reciprical.

Every time the NHL starts to crack down on these plays, it's always the one-trick physical ponies who whine about it the most.

• 4 months later...