The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Paul Mara

roy_133

:mellow: Is this supposed to mean something more on the grand scheme of things? I don't know. I'm hoping that we at least get some kind of value from this.

okay, so the trade becomes Mara + Festerling for Laps. I'm fine with it, but I'll be disappointed if this minor move is the only one that Gauthier makes.

While I'm not the biggest fan of big moves, I too would be disappointed if this was it.

I'm just not understanding one thing. What is PG's obsession with the Anaheim Ducks?

He use to be the GM of the Ducks

Sometimes it's easier to deal with the team you use to work for ...you know the people, thye know you , you do them a favor , they do you one

Can't we aim a little higher and get Chris Philips as a potential man to replace both Hamrlik and Gill instead?

Philips has a no trade clause

Unless he agrees to be traded he isn't goign anywhere

He use to be the GM of the Ducks

Sometimes it's easier to deal with the team you use to work for ...you know the people, thye know you , you do them a favor , they do you one

Philips has a no trade clause

Unless he agrees to be traded he isn't goign anywhere

Now, if I were Philips I'd wave that no trade clause before they even ask. I'd packed about two weeks ago just waiting for that call. Ottawa is definitely cleaning house and won't be a contender for the next 5 years. I'd rather have Brewer instead of Philips though. From Ottawa I'd go for one guy and one guy only...Chris Neil. Man, I wish we could land this guy. This trade is really leading me to believe either Spacek is really seriously injured or he is finished in Montreal and PG is keeping him out so he doesn't get injured before being traded. I'm really hoping for the latter. Welcome back, Mara!

The first thing that came to my mind when this deal happened was that PG was trying to address the team toughness issue by adding a big body to the lineup.

He's really not that big though if you look at it. They have him listed as 6'4 211lbs. :blink:

Too bad he couldn't have gotten Koivu back while he was at it :( Hoping his 2nd stint with the Habs is better than the first. Welcome back Mara.

X2 - Koivu -- we need you :) .

To be honest, if I was Saku and was traded back to Montreal I'd announce my retirement. He's excelling out of this market because there just isn't that much of a spotlight on him anymore. If he came back to Montreal, even if he wasn't the captain, it would be the exact same scrutiny all over again.

The first thing that came to my mind when this deal happened was that PG was trying to address the team toughness issue by adding a big body to the lineup.

I can see his thinking if you're right, but as I've said before, I think it's futile to populate the bottom of your roster with toughness when your skill guys (i.e. the ones who play the most minutes) are all perimeter smurfs. Philly isn't the top team in the east because they have a bunch of fourth-line goons / big 6-7 d-men. They are dangerous because their top-six and top-four contain a great mixture of skill and size. Mara doesn't help us on that front.

I can see his thinking if you're right, but as I've said before, I think it's futile to populate the bottom of your roster with toughness when your skill guys (i.e. the ones who play the most minutes) are all perimeter smurfs. Philly isn't the top team in the east because they have a bunch of fourth-line goons / big 6-7 d-men. They are dangerous because their top-six and top-four contain a great mixture of skill and size. Mara doesn't help us on that front.

I'm surprised by the trade as well and I agree with what you're saying. Maybe PG knows something we don't. However, like ChiLa posted in the Mara thread, he's a guy that will stick up for his teammates and we don't have many of those at this point.

calm down. Theres still 11 days till the trade deadline. Would rather have mara on the blue line than nash or another rookie from hammy whos nerves are frayed from his first NHL experiences.

I'd honestly rather have Nash. The guy didn't look terrible in his first game, he has decent size, and I like his shot. Gill seems like his return is imminent, so we're really looking at a guy to plug in for what, 2 or 3 games? Mara displayed nothing last year to suggest he can do any better than Nash or Picard.

That's what I was thinking. The move is unimportant I don't even know what to say. Purely depth move. I can even see Mara sitting in the press-box when the D gets healthier than it is. I guess he's aheade of Weber, but then again... Even that I am not sure about.

I just find the trade is a complete waste of a draft pick for a guy who might be a fill-in for 2-3 games and then sit in the press-box as a reserve. I don't want him in there ahead of Weber either. Weber's playing better, he's younger, faster, and more talented, and it's not like Mara brings that much more to the table than the guys we have.

Unless this is the prelude to bigger deals, this is the first trade of PG's that I absolutely, categorically hate.

As I posted earlier in the GM thread, this is my sentiment exactly. I think PG has done a commendable job thus far, but this trade bewilders me. I just see no value in what was done. I am wondering if Spacek may be out longer than we think, if PG felt he had to make this move, because Gill's return seems close and if Spacek were thought to be right behind him, that essentially makes Mara the 8th D man on the team, and there would be no reason to give up a pick for a guy to sit in the pressbox and eat up salary. Maybe something will come to light in the next few days, but for now, I disapprove of this deal.

I'll reserve judgment until I see him play, but on paper, man, do I ever hate this trade.

It's the type of move I don't even have an opinion on. It's so unimportant in the grand scheme of things. I'm not even sure it was warranted. At least P.G. didn't give up much to get him. I have no expectations for any 5th round draft choice to make the Montreal Canadiens. If Mara can play alright 5-6 pairing minutes for a few weeks then fine. If he flounders, I guess we can just bench him.

A really really poor trade if you asked me while our rivals are aiming for big ammo. He was rightfully let off the hook by the team after last seson, so what the heck is he doing here again? :angry:

Does PG really have a plan or (let's hope) another trade is in the works? This trade smacks of desperation and lack of scouting at the pro level. I like Mara but he's old and he's slow. Let's hope he can help the team more this time around and is healthier. Who knows this might end up being a valuable piece to the Habs' puzzle come playoff time. I just don't understand PG's thinking at this point really.

Does that mean Philips and Brewer won't stand up for their teammates or are players easily knockable for the opposition? What the hell is that? I'll tell you: I feel insulted by such trade when there are better players out there to improve the defensive line. Should nothing will be done about adding muscle among the forwards, that would be even more insulting.

LOL, there are always better players out there than what you're going to get for a 5th round pick. Have you seen Phillips play at all this season? Not saying he can't bounce back or anything but he's probably been Ottawa's worst Dman with Gill-like offensive production and a team worst +/- rating. Again, that's not the kind of numbers he's usually putting up, but based on his play this year, he's by no means a clear upgrade on what we already have plus he has a NTC as Regis pointed out. If he agrees to waive it, Ottawa likely wants at least a second rounder in return and I don't think he's the solution to our defensive woes going forward. Eric Brewer is the Captain of the St.Louis Blues if I'm not mistaken, I'm not sure they're willing to let him go at the deadline. In fact I heard they're planning on re-signing him unless a great offer comes along. He also has a NTC by the way, which could complicate things.

Does PG really have a plan or (let's hope) another trade is in the works? This trade smacks of desperation and lack of scouting at the pro level. I like Mara but he's old and he's slow. Let's hope he can help the team more this time around and is healthier. Who knows this might end up being a valuable piece to the Habs' puzzle come playoff time. I just don't understand PG's thinking at this point really.

So far, I have no reason to question PG's ability as a GM. He's made some really solid (Wiz) and unpopular moves (Price) that have really paid off. Let's wait and see how this plays out before we pass judgment, at least, that is what I'm doing.

That's what I was thinking. The move is unimportant I don't even know what to say. Purely depth move. I can even see Mara sitting in the press-box when the D gets healthier than it is. I guess he's aheade of Weber, but then again... Even that I am not sure about.

I'd prefer to see Weber over Mara. Weber's young and potentially has a future in Montreal. I'm ok with Mara over Nash though with all the inexperience we have on the blue line at the moment. Bottom line is PG wouldn't have gotten Mara if it weren't for all the injuries, so it really is just a band aid move. We didn't really have to give up anything, so I'm ok with this.

Does that mean Philips and Brewer won't stand up for their teammates or are players easily knockable for the opposition? What the hell is that? I'll tell you: I feel insulted by such trade when there are better players out there to improve the defensive line. Should nothing will be done about adding muscle among the forwards, that would be even more insulting.

I quoted ChiLla's post below so I don't re-type what he said. I basically agree with him. As I posted in the Mara thread, PG has not given us many reasons to doubt him since he's become GM. He's made some really solid moves (Wiz) and some unpopular moves (Price) that have paid off big time. Let's wait and see before we pass judgment on this trade. When Wiz was acquired, all anyone could talk about was how bad his +/- was. Today, everyone loves him. Remember the Price / Halak ordeal when he chose Price. Everyone went crazy and was outraged. Now everyone is calling PG a genius for sticking with Price.

LOL, there are always better players out there than what you're going to get for a 5th round pick. Have you seen Phillips play at all this season? Not saying he can't bounce back or anything but he's probably been Ottawa's worst Dman with Gill-like offensive production and a team worst +/- rating. Again, that's not the kind of numbers he's usually putting up, but based on his play this year, he's by no means a clear upgrade on what we already have plus he has a NTC as Regis pointed out. If he agrees to waive it, Ottawa likely wants at least a second rounder in return and I don't think he's the solution to our defensive woes going forward. Eric Brewer is the Captain of the St.Louis Blues if I'm not mistaken, I'm not sure they're willing to let him go at the deadline. In fact I heard they're planning on re-signing him unless a great offer comes along. He also has a NTC by the way, which could complicate things.