The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Paul Mara

roy_133

So far, I have no reason to question PG's ability as a GM. He's made some really solid (Wiz) and unpopular moves (Price) that have really paid off. Let's wait and see how this plays out before we pass judgment, at least, that is what I'm doing.

I'll do the same because like I said I like Mara and was excited when we acquired him the first time. I'm just hoping that he makes some more moves come trade deadline.

I'd prefer to see Weber over Mara. Weber's young and potentially has a future in Montreal. I'm ok with Mara over Nash though with all the inexperience we have on the blue line at the moment. Bottom line is PG wouldn't have gotten Mara if it weren't for all the injuries, so it really is just a band aid move. We didn't really have to give up anything, so I'm ok with this.

Agreed and I don't expect Mara to be ahead of Weber on the depth chart at all. I think Weber is playing some solid hockey and he's coming along nicely as a rookie. In fact, I'd be furious if he was scratched in favor of Mara. I see this as a depth move so we don't have to rely on three rookies plus Picard when Gill or Spacek are out, which given their age will be even more likely come playoff time. Mara is not very mobile but he's big and can also be used on the PK, which may be a better solution than going with Winsiewski and Picard as our 2nd PK unit which we did against Buffalo.

So far, I have no reason to question PG's ability as a GM. He's made some really solid (Wiz) and unpopular moves (Price) that have really paid off. Let's wait and see how this plays out before we pass judgment, at least, that is what I'm doing.

The thing is, we saw him play last year. We all know how bad his skating is.... Heck, I'd rather see the tower (Gill) instead of the wall (Mara) xD

Last thing the habs needed was another big slow, sloppy defenceman to go along with Hamrlik and Gill. I would have prefered Mathieu Carle or even Alex Henry called up to provide some toughness. He is just a fill in though and will be in the pressbox as soon as Gill and Spacek are healthy, but just like the other I hope this isn't Gauthiers last move before the deadline including the last D-Man pickup or else he has packed in the season.

I'm surprised to see everyone so shocked by this; I thought it was a pretty decent move that is costing us next to nothing.

Don't get me wrong; Mara isn't going to be a star, but he's a more than serviceable 4-6 guy with some size that is fresh and ready to fill in on a defensive unit that's been hurting. I don't see any wrong in that. Even if Gill will be back shortly, there's always the risk of re-injury. As well, Gorges was reportedly playing hurt for a long time - perhaps he still is.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Montreal/2011/02/17/17316046.html

QMI Agency has learned that Hal Gill has a foot injury serious enough to shut him down for the season were it not for the Habs being in a playoff race. Fellow defenceman Jaroslav Spacek has a groin injury that will keep him out for at least two weeks.

The Mara trade now makes a lot more sense to me. With Gill playing through a serious injury, Spacek on the shelf for two weeks, and Markov and Gorges gone for the season, depth on defense, and big physical depth in a stay-at-home role, is key. Mara was probably the cheapest option out there and he's already familiar with the team and the system.

I will now retract my initial hate-on for this trade. :)

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Montreal/2011/02/17/17316046.html

QMI Agency has learned that Hal Gill has a foot injury serious enough to shut him down for the season were it not for the Habs being in a playoff race. Fellow defenceman Jaroslav Spacek has a groin injury that will keep him out for at least two weeks.

The Mara trade now makes a lot more sense to me. With Gill playing through a serious injury, Spacek on the shelf for two weeks, and Markov and Gorges gone for the season, depth on defense, and big physical depth in a stay-at-home role, is key. Mara was probably the cheapest option out there and he's already familiar with the team and the system.

I will now retract my initial hate-on for this trade. :)

I'm not sure about the trustworthiness of the source. It is Canoe after all...

Until a more official source tells us what's up with Gill I'm assuming it's not too serious.

I'm not sure about the trustworthiness of the source. It is Canoe after all...

Until a more official source tells us what's up with Gill I'm assuming it's not too serious.

True, but the possibility that one of our veterans is playing through a serious injury coupled with Spacek being out and Markov and Gorges already out for the season all combine to make the Mara trade more palatable. This isn't a depth move for no reason, this is an emergency move to add experience and physicality to an absolutely decimated blue line.

True, but the possibility that one of our veterans is playing through a serious injury coupled with Spacek being out and Markov and Gorges already out for the season all combine to make the Mara trade more palatable. This isn't a depth move for no reason, this is an emergency move to add experience and physicality to an absolutely decimated blue line.

I figured as much. Gill is skating with the team though. Probably rushing to get back for Sunday.

Guest habs1952

Looks like this is just a short term move until July 1st when free agency begins. Didn't cost us a roster player or a very high draft pick. Having said that, can he still play? :lol: :lol:

Agreed... and it is a trade that still leaves cap space available to do even more (including another d-man if necessary)

I don't know that I believe the canoe source either. I'd be inclined to believe that Spacek is the one who's out more long-term and that Gill's can't be overly serious if he is already skating with the team. He said himself that he was considering playing tonight in Edmonton if the Habs ever got really stuck and ran out of D men, so I think at this point it must be more of an issue of pain tolerance.

Whether it's Gill or Spacek's who's out long-term, I do believe there is one of them who has a serious injury though. However, I don't feel liked Mara is enough of an upgrade to justify adding another depth guy. Without Markov, Gorges, and one of Spacek/Gill, our D is weak regardless of whether it's Weber or Picard or Nash or Mara filling out the back end. Our true need is for a top 4 shutdown guy and the Mara trade doesn't address that need. I'm more of the opinion that if we're going with a sub-par line-up we're better off using the young guys to at least give them experience for down the line and allow us to evaluate our talent pool.

How do we know he's going to do nothing for Montreal without having seen him play a single game for us this year.

Honestly, is half of our defensive core right now doing much for us? I don't see Gill, Spaceck, and the Youngins putting up impressive points at the moment.

Give the guy a game or two then we can make assumptions on him again.

How do we know he's going to do nothing for Montreal without having seen him play a single game for us this year.

Honestly, is half of our defensive core right now doing much for us? I don't see Gill, Spaceck, and the Youngins putting up impressive points at the moment.

Give the guy a game or two then we can make assumptions on him again.

Well we saw him play here last year and even in the times when he wasn't injured, he did very little. He was slow, he didn't contribute to the PP/offence as it had been suggested he might, and I didn't find him that effective. It's not like we're getting a guy we know nothing about... he's had a chance here and he failed. I'm hoping he can do better this time around, but even if he does, we overpaid to get him, so it doesn't make me overly pleased about this deal.

Well we saw him play here last year and even in the times when he wasn't injured, he did very little. He was slow, he didn't contribute to the PP/offence as it had been suggested he might, and I didn't find him that effective. It's not like we're getting a guy we know nothing about... he's had a chance here and he failed. I'm hoping he can do better this time around, but even if he does, we overpaid to get him, so it doesn't make me overly pleased about this deal.

This is not at all inaccurate. It's true he didnt play well in his first stint with the team but I understand PG logic in making this move. He states a few things with this move:

#1 - The Habs are open for business

#2 - He values his cap space

#3 - He agrees with the general public that the Habs need more grit.

I like the move for some of those above reasons as well as the intangibles he brings like experience, leadership and familiarity with the system.

From a Hockey standpoint, it's a decent move not a big splash or even an upgrade over Picard or Nash for that matter at first glance. The only thing Mara brings to the Habs defence corps is a big body that WILL DROP THE GLOVES. I truly believe that Mara is a guy comfortable being a depth d-man and sitting out without causing a stir and the next time the Habs are on the ice with Horton and Lucic, Mara will be the first to defend his teammates with full force.

I think this is a solid move. It makes a lot of sense. I am not thrilled about the acquisition of Paul Mara, but for his salary and a 5th round pick it's solid.

The explanation here is that the management sees us as cup-worthy in the next few seasons but not this one, so there's no need to sacrifice the future for what they consider somewhat of a lost cause. And you know what, I kinda agree with their philosophy because we would be a lot better without all the injuries and with more experience on our young players.

Man, I hope you're wrong about this! If that's the case, we'll never see a Cup again. There's no guarantees about any future outcomes, and when the team is tied for first place in its division, I hope management does not look at it as just another "throw-away" season.

Having said that, I always thought Mara could have done more than he did for the Habs. Maybe now he will......IF he's healthy. Wasn't he sitting out games for Anaheim this year also due to injury?