The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Paul Mara

roy_133

Because we could have gotten alot more for our 5th round pick than Mara. Take a look at what Anaheim did right after they unloaded Mara on us.

Ruutu for 6th round pick

Yes, they paid less for a fourth-line forward with a $1.3 million cap hit who will be UFA this summer. Mara makes half Ruutu's salary and actually addresses our team need.

We gave up a fifth-rounder to get a guy with a 650k cap hit. How is that overpaying?

Because we could have gotten alot more for our 5th round pick than Mara. Take a look at what Anaheim did right after they unloaded Mara on us.

Ruutu for 6th round pick

Exactly what Lizardking said. I know 5th round picks are rare, but I feel like if we went through NHL rosters, we could have found a big guy to be our 7th D man and paid a 7th round pick. It seems ridiculous to have paid more than what Anaheim gave up to get a more useful player in Ruutu 24 hours later. Especially since there's a chance Mara may play 3 games and then watch the rest of the year from the pressbox, it's overpaying. In the real world, it's not like overpaying for a car, but if someone charged me $5 for a can of coke when it should cost $2, and then I found out someone else got a pepsi and fries for $4, I'd be a little peeved.

Exactly what Lizardking said. I know 5th round picks are rare, but I feel like if we went through NHL rosters, we could have found a big guy to be our 7th D man and paid a 7th round pick. It seems ridiculous to have paid more than what Anaheim gave up to get a more useful player in Ruutu 24 hours later. Especially since there's a chance Mara may play 3 games and then watch the rest of the year from the pressbox, it's overpaying. In the real world, it's not like overpaying for a car, but if someone charged me $5 for a can of coke when it should cost $2, and then I found out someone else got a pepsi and fries for $4, I'd be a little peeved.

Well said

I'll re-quote my reply from the previous page:

Yes, they paid less for a fourth-line forward with a $1.3 million cap hit who will be UFA this summer. Mara makes half Ruutu's salary and actually addresses our team need.

Ruutu is twice as expensive as Mara, has done zero for the Senators this season, and has as much chance of seeing the pressbox in Anaheim as Mara does in Montreal. Also, the market for d-men and forwards isn't really the same, so I don't really see the point of comparing the two deals and wringing our hands because we gave up a fifth-rounder. Seriously, a fifth-round pick, i.e. a player who might never play a game for the team that drafts him.

Seriously, can we give the guy a few games before we dump on him again this season. He's playing for the team now, deal with it.

Exactly.

There's no question he had a rough tenure with montreal - but the mara we saw last year was not him at his best. He had a nagging injury long before the season ending one and I think he deserves a little slack.

He's big, he's strong and he is the consumate "stick up for teammates" kind of guy. He will put his face in front of a Chara slapshot if he felt his team needed it and he wont back down from anyone if a teammate needs help. The other thing to remember is that he has twice scored over 42 pts in the NHL. He's no Norris trophy winner, but providing we can use him effectively (im looking at you, JM!) he could be a very useful addition to our injury-depleted defense corps.

I'll re-quote my reply from the previous page:

Ruutu is twice as expensive as Mara, has done zero for the Senators this season, and has as much chance of seeing the pressbox in Anaheim as Mara does in Montreal. Also, the market for d-men and forwards isn't really the same, so I don't really see the point of comparing the two deals and wringing our hands because we gave up a fifth-rounder. Seriously, a fifth-round pick, i.e. a player who might never play a game for the team that drafts him.

Sure, Ruutu may make more, but the 550k more over a quarter of a season means the actual difference in cap hit is only 135k. I don't see how you can say Ruutu meets Anaheim's needs any less than Mara meets ours. The Ducks discarded a player they didn't need and got one they can use, who will add to the collection of Finnish players they have on that team. And yes, I know 5th rounders are not likely to play in the NHL but if they were completely useless, the league would stop the draft at 4 rounds. There are still players who get picked in the 5th round or later, or who are never drafted, who can have an impact on their team... Halak, Datsyuk, St. Louis, Desharnais, etc. Yes, these are more the exception to the rule, but you really just never know if you can find a diamond in the rough if you don't try. All I'm saying is that for Mara, the asking price should have been a 6th or 7th round pick. He's a guy we thought so little of that we opted to go with OB and Picard and looks for Weber and Carle over him. He's a guy who couldn't crack the Ducks top 6, and Anaheim really does not have one of the leagues top D corps. I'm sure we could have even found someone of Mara's calibre on the waiver wire or for a lesser pick if we had wanted, so I don't see the point. As I said, this is not to say he will be terrible. He may well out-perform guys who we acquired at higher draft seedings or for whom we gave up more to get, but the point is that we shouldn't had to have paid that much to get him.

I'd sure like to throw him out there right now lol

Yeah. He could have been useful last night. Although I was beckoning for Nash to get more playing time last night, he looked awful on the 3rd goal... Mara may have been better equipped to handle the minutes we would have needed from a 5th D-man last night. Darn equipment not arriving on time!

Yeah. He could have been useful last night. Although I was beckoning for Nash to get more playing time last night, he looked awful on the 3rd goal... Mara may have been better equipped to handle the minutes we would have needed from a 5th D-man last night. Darn equipment not arriving on time!

Yeah, Nash didn't look very good in those 8 minutes he played last night. Not going to write him off obviously but nice to have an alternative with lots of NHL experience.

Mara should teach Wiz how to grow a beard. Maybe that way the beard would have acted as a shield from the puck. The puck may have gotten lost in his beard, but we wouldn't be down our 17th d-man this year.

Wellcome back Mara, I liked his positive attitude, physical presence + his beard but from what i watch him last year, he was a pretty awful defensmen, hope i'm wrong.

Single biggest problem last year was Martin pairing Mara with Gill. Both actually had injuries (playing hurt) and even when healthy both are so NOT the compliment for each other. We've seen how much better Gill looks with a fast defense partner. Mara will look 10x better next to a guy like Subban or Weber than he ever did next to Gill.

Single biggest problem last year was Martin pairing Mara with Gill. Both actually had injuries (playing hurt) and even when healthy both are so NOT the compliment for each other. We've seen how much better Gill looks with a fast defense partner. Mara will look 10x better next to a guy like Subban or Weber than he ever did next to Gill.

Common Paul, channel your Phoenix 05-06 season :P

Though he had limited icetime, I thought Mara was our best defenseman yesterday. Made simple but effective plays and laid out a few good hits too.

And this what... epitomizes the State of the Habs? When I look at the fact that both Gill and Mara are in the line-up it is scary... and,no, not scary-good. ;) And if you could believe it, some have suggested adding Souray to that mix... yeesch!

Though he had limited icetime, I thought Mara was our best defenseman yesterday. Made simple but effective plays and laid out a few good hits too.

indeed it was a good contribution since he worked hard for those things he could render.