The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Paul Mara

roy_133

product-enlarged.jpg

I think he could pull it off ;)

LOL

ZZ Top will be interviewing him for a spot in the band. :lol:

Glad to see Mara willing to drop the gloves. Talbot was looking to spark the Pens and Mara doused that spark out pretty easily.

I am pleasantly surprised and happy with Mara Version 2.0. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Mara seems a lot faster, much more physical, and just all around much more solid this time with the Canadiens. To the point where I wouldn't mind signing him as a #5 guy. Plus, he has an awesome beard, and that has to count for something :lol:

Mara seems a lot faster, much more physical, and just all around much more solid this time with the Canadiens. To the point where I wouldn't mind signing him as a #5 guy. Plus, he has an awesome beard, and that has to count for something :lol:

I think Mara realizes he's getting near the end and needs to start making an impact (physically or on the scoreboard) to stand out and make himself useful to any team.

Giving he's not a big point getter, he's got to bring the body to try and get a new contract next year.

Mara has been pleasantly improved over what he gave us last year. I still believe we overpaid for him in the trade, given that he wasn't even in the Ducks' line-up for the last 2 months he was there, but he is filling in nicely on our D crew. The issue with signing him for next year is that we have plenty of guys who could be re-signed to fill the 4-5-6-7 holes on the blue line. And MAra could possibly be a 6th or 7th guy. But the first task is to re-build the top of the D crew and then decide which of the other guys or free agents we can use to fill out the bottom half. And at this point, despite how well Mara has done, you have to balance that against Spacek already being signed and Gorges, Hamrlik, Wis, Gill, etc. having other things to offer as well. Salary will be one issue, but I don't know if Mara brings enough to justify filling him in over a number of those other guys and it's much easier to replace a big body than a guy with other assets.

Mara has been pleasantly improved over what he gave us last year. I still believe we overpaid for him in the trade, given that he wasn't even in the Ducks' line-up for the last 2 months he was there, but he is filling in nicely on our D crew. The issue with signing him for next year is that we have plenty of guys who could be re-signed to fill the 4-5-6-7 holes on the blue line. And MAra could possibly be a 6th or 7th guy. But the first task is to re-build the top of the D crew and then decide which of the other guys or free agents we can use to fill out the bottom half. And at this point, despite how well Mara has done, you have to balance that against Spacek already being signed and Gorges, Hamrlik, Wis, Gill, etc. having other things to offer as well. Salary will be one issue, but I don't know if Mara brings enough to justify filling him in over a number of those other guys and it's much easier to replace a big body than a guy with other assets.

I'd much rather have Mara on our third pairing than Gill though, Mara's still (relatively compared to Gill) younger, and faster. I think Mara-Wisniewski could be a dynamite third pairing.

I'd like to see Spacek traded, Hamrlik, Wisniewski, Markov, and whichever is cheaper between Mara or Gorges resigned.

Markov-Subban or mystery #2 D-man'

Hamrlik-Subban or other D man

Mara/Gorges-Wisniewski

I think that would be a very well balanced D corps, Hamrlik still has enough in the tank to be a top 4 guy, as long as he's not the #1 D-man on the team like he has had to be the last 2 seasons, he'll be fine. Markov is too good to just let him walk, we need to resign him, that's all there is to it. I still think Subban has a way to go until he's a legitimate top pairing defenseman (if he ever is a top pairing guy at all), so if we could find another top 4 guy to play beside Markov, that'd be great.

How about this trade from NHL 11? Gomez and a 1st rounder for Shea Weber? That would work :lol:... if only it was that easy.

• 3 weeks later...

What a difference a year makes. Last playoffs we were hoping for some toughness from the blueline and this year we have Mara playing a much stronger game.

He's going to need to be at his best if we are to handle the Big Bruins forwards.

It looks from the early practice pairings that Spacek and Sopel will form the third pairing and Mara is going to start as the 7th man on the D corps. I expect him, nonetheless, to play a role in this series before it's over.

I don't know if leaving Mara out is the smartest move. I think I'd rather have him in than Sopel. I know it's nice to have 3LH and 3 RH D, but I think Mara provides size and toughness out front, and against the Bruins that could be crucial.

I don't know if leaving Mara out is the smartest move. I think I'd rather have him in than Sopel. I know it's nice to have 3LH and 3 RH D, but I think Mara provides size and toughness out front, and against the Bruins that could be crucial.

Frankly, Id dress 7 dmen. We dont have the depth to match the bruins 4 lines against 4 lines, so id much rather dress our 9 best forwards & 2 spares to sub in as needed. Mara as a 7th dman or 12th forward would give us the option of toughness if needed.

I'd personally like to see Mara on the Left and Spacek on the right on the third pairing but Jacques wants a righty and a Cup winner in Sopel. Can't argue vs that viewpoint either. The above poster may be correct, all 7 might dress and Pyatt may sit.

Sopel, IMO, is the kind of guy we need to be dressing every game. You don't need to get 20+ a game out of him, but he's a proven playoff performer and exactly the kind of guy that will help in matching up against Boston.

Sopel, IMO, is the kind of guy we need to be dressing every game. You don't need to get 20+ a game out of him, but he's a proven playoff performer and exactly the kind of guy that will help in matching up against Boston.

Yes and no. Sopel did well with his shot-blocking, but the Bruins also blew by him once or twice. Having him in the line-up is almost like having a second Gill: he blocks shots, he does well on the PK, but he's not overly physical for his size and he's slow, especially trying to contain rushing attackers coming down the wing. Mara might add another element to the line-up that Sopel can't bring, but then you lose what Sopel does bring. Overall, the issue is that we have a few guys on the bottom half of this D crew who bring certain skills but each with their own deficiencies, yet no one guy who can be sound in all areas, so whatever choice JM makes, there's going to be a sacrifice made in some area.

Yes and no. Sopel did well with his shot-blocking, but the Bruins also blew by him once or twice. Having him in the line-up is almost like having a second Gill: he blocks shots, he does well on the PK, but he's not overly physical for his size and he's slow, especially trying to contain rushing attackers coming down the wing. Mara might add another element to the line-up that Sopel can't bring, but then you lose what Sopel does bring. Overall, the issue is that we have a few guys on the bottom half of this D crew who bring certain skills but each with their own deficiencies, yet no one guy who can be sound in all areas, so whatever choice JM makes, there's going to be a sacrifice made in some area.

What you explained is exactly why I like Sopel in the lineup. The Bruins aren't an overly fast, free-wheeling squad, so Sopel can keep up. You don't need him to be overly physical as that's not how you take the Bruins off their game. Blocked shots and good positional play will frustrate them. From watching him the last few seasons, he plays a smart, clean game in the playoffs.

That said, I would also like to see Mara in the lineup as a big body. Someone mentioned in the last game thread that it might be ideal to dress seven defensemen, and I completely agree.